Birds of Patuxent Research Refuge

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Little did I know back in 1963-1965, when I was stationed at Fort George G. Meade, that one day, 45 years later, I would still be crawling in the same dirt ...... looking for birds. Since those earlier years, the Department of Defense has turned thousands of acres over to the refuge. While birding there today, one can still periodically hear weapons being fired at nearby rifle ranges. So, to some extent, it's like the old days but they weren't necessarily the good ole' days ...... Methodical and I have bumped into each other on occasion at the North Tract of the Refuge. The Central Tract is off limits to the general public and is where the research center is located. From the North Tract, I can often hear the Whooping Cranes in the distance, being raised at the Central Tract and then trained for their maiden journey. The South Tract has a very nice visitor center, numerous trails and two bodies of water. It can also be a good place for birding but I don't frequent it as often.

This thread will display a few of the myriad of birds that live at Patuxent, migrate through, or nest there during the breeding season. As the changing seasons evolve I will be adding additional photos taken at this Refuge. That is, if the birds cooperate ....

For starters, I will begin with the 'Summer Tanager'. There are birds that I await each year and the tanagers are among them. Hopefully, the Scarlet Tanager will be arriving soon.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another photo of the same Summer Tanager ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, another .........

Thumbnail by linthicum

One more of this beautiful bird. It is hard to miss among the green leaves, or as it flies against the blue sky.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Let's go from red to blue ........ to the 'Indigo Bunting'. I generally hear and see quite a few of them.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another shot of the Indigo Bunting.

Thumbnail by linthicum

They, too, are a very striking bird ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Staying with the blue "theme", here is the 'Blue Grosbeak'. The Blue Grosbeak is bigger in size than the Indigo Bunting but I often get them confused at a distance, if I don't see their wing feathers.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Here you can see the coloration on the wing ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

One more of the Blue Grosbeak.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Stunning shots of all these "Most Wanted" birds Linth!

Thanks, pelle, I had to stop posting for a bit while I took care of my baby-sitting duties. Here's a photo of the male 'Eastern Towhee'. I haven't seen or heard too many of them yet.

Thumbnail by linthicum

This is a different Towhee from the previous post.

Thumbnail by linthicum

One more of the first Towhee .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

I got quite a few photos of a 'Brown Thrasher' but they were all the same pose.

Thumbnail by linthicum

One of my favorite birds at the Patuxent North Tract is the 'Yellow-breasted Chat'. They can always be heard but quite evasive to photograph. This is where patience is a virtue. You cannot mistake their voice. They are quite "chatty".

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another shot of him, high up in a tree .......

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, another .......The Yellow-breasted Chats are declining in eastern North America due to habitat loss, which is caused primarily from deforestation and urban development. Unlike most warblers, this species has been known to mimic the calls of other birds.

Thumbnail by linthicum

One last photo of the "Chat". Everyone looks and listens for the 'Yellow-breasted Chat", at Patuxent, North Tract.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh my, I'd be a nervous wreck if I was the one taking the pictures of these beautiful birds. I know I'd start shaking with excitement Sure vibrant colors and each one is just awesome! The Chat has always been interesting to me because of the song. It always sounds so happy, like our local Thrasher.

Great job with your pictures!!

Marlton, NJ

Wow outstanding shots Linth! I love the Chat!!

Thanks, pelle and duc. Everyone has beautiful birds within their own state. It's just a matter of locating them, coupled with the challenge of getting a photograph. I really don't get too excited because there is always tomorrow ......
I
The 'Northern Parula', a member of the warbler family, is listed as "abundant" at Patuxent. But, for whatever reason, it has eluded me for a number of years. And, I no longer have "young" eyes. But, recently, I struck gold in finally photographing this elusive bird at Patuxent.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another 'Northern Parula' ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Last one of the Parula. All of these photos were taken at 500mm.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Fantastic!! Dream of seeing a Blue Grosbeak someday.

Thanks, nanny, you will probably see one when you least expect it.

Another first for me at Patuxent was the 'Hooded Warbler'. It is still listed as "uncommon" on their bird list but they are nesting here.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Another photo. Their bright yellow stands out in the bright sunlight.

Thumbnail by linthicum

One more of the Hooded Warbler. It winters in Central America and the West Indies.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Love the Hooded Warbler and the Parula is a favorite of mine.

Sandusky, OH

Look's like a great place for birding Linth, and nice sharp shots of all of them! Out of all of them I have only seen the Indigo so far would love to see the others someday, really beautiful birds.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Another "WOW" thread Linth...just gorgeous shots. I can't imagine having a place like that where you can see so many different birds. Well done...hope you plan on adding more images.

Thanks, everyone .....

pelle, first time I have photographed either one. I think that I am at #160 as to the different birds photographed in the mid-Atlantic.

Burd, you have a great spot at Ottawa and live a short distance from it. I would be there every week if I lived closer but I'm about 7+ hours away. You did quite well with your warblers.

Rose, you seem to have as many species as we have right on your own property. I'll keep adding photos as the Spring and Summer progress but I probably won't have a lot of new species at Patuxent.

The place is loaded with Prairie Warblers. For a tiny bird, one can sure hear them all around the refuge. So, here are several photos of the Prairie Warbler.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Prairie Warbler #2 ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Prairie Warbler #3 ........ with a worm.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Prairie Warbler #4 ...... also, with a worm

Thumbnail by linthicum

Prairie Warbler #5 ....... one pretty little bird.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Prairie Warbler #6 ..... I liked the way the sun influenced the outcome of this photo.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Prairie Warbler #7 ....... from the back.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Prairie Warbler #8 ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Prairie Warbler # 9 ......

Thumbnail by linthicum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.