Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: Birds of Patuxent Research Refuge, 1 by linthicum

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright linthicum

Subject: Birds of Patuxent Research Refuge

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Birds of Patuxent Research Refuge
linthicum wrote:
Little did I know back in 1963-1965, when I was stationed at Fort George G. Meade, that one day, 45 years later, I would still be crawling in the same dirt ...... looking for birds. Since those earlier years, the Department of Defense has turned thousands of acres over to the refuge. While birding there today, one can still periodically hear weapons being fired at nearby rifle ranges. So, to some extent, it's like the old days but they weren't necessarily the good ole' days ...... Methodical and I have bumped into each other on occasion at the North Tract of the Refuge. The Central Tract is off limits to the general public and is where the research center is located. From the North Tract, I can often hear the Whooping Cranes in the distance, being raised at the Central Tract and then trained for their maiden journey. The South Tract has a very nice visitor center, numerous trails and two bodies of water. It can also be a good place for birding but I don't frequent it as often.

This thread will display a few of the myriad of birds that live at Patuxent, migrate through, or nest there during the breeding season. As the changing seasons evolve I will be adding additional photos taken at this Refuge. That is, if the birds cooperate ....

For starters, I will begin with the 'Summer Tanager'. There are birds that I await each year and the tanagers are among them. Hopefully, the Scarlet Tanager will be arriving soon.