Bloom Crazy Mexican Ocotillo

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi all!
Just thought I'd share a couple pics from my Mexican Ocotillo (Fouquieria macdougalii). Definitely the time of year for blooms!
Just love this genus!
Cheers,
Tristan

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

One more pic of closeup of inflorescence.

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

That is incredible. Do you know how old this plant is?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

I obtained this plant in summer of 2003; it was about a 12" plant at that time, so I would assume it was at least 3-4 yrs old at the time.
It first bloomed (only ONE bloom panicle) in July 2004.
It is now a large bush about 5-6 ft in diameter. It pretty much has at least one or two inflorescences on it in various stages throughout the year now - sometime with leaves, sometimes without.
This was the species that got me hooked on the Fouquieria genus!
Cheers,
Tristan

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Please tell me where you purcahsed that ocotillo!!! It is beautiful!!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Fouquieria macdougalii is actually quite easy to find in the valley - there are a few (sometimes tucked away) at several nurseries.

I obtained mine @ Treeland Nursery in Mesa, but I've also seen them for sale at the following places in the valley:
- Arizona Cactus Sales (Chandler) - they not only have several of this species, they also have nice sized specimens of several other species of Fouquieria (splendens, columnaris, formosa, diguetii, purpusii). Great place!
- The Desert Botanical Gardens Shop (Phoenix) - although they have many available usually at the Fall & Spring plant sales, they also usually have one or two nice specimens for sale in their gift shop any time of the year (as a matter of fact, I was just there yesterday, and they had at least 3 nice-sized plants ca. 10"!).
- Desert Foothills Nursery (Cave Creek) - last time I was there (February), they had 3-4 rather large beautiful specimens for sale.

Farther afield, Plants of the Southwest Nursery in Tucson is a great source for any species of Fouquieria. I obtained most of the species of Fouquieria that I have from there.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Cheers,
Tristan

This message was edited May 3, 2010 1:12 PM

I believe some Fouquieria species can be propagated by cuttings, which ought to be a million times faster than by seed.

More Fouquieria pictures please. F. splendens? F. columnaris?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

You asked for it!! = ))

There are 11 species of Fouquieria.
I know Jordi has a lot more mature specimens than mine, so he could probably add some better photos, but here is what I have, starting with Fouquieria burragei.

This one was obtained as a 4 yr old 20" plant in 2004; it is now about 6 ft tall and about that wide.

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quite exciting for me is my FIRST ever bloom panicle coming in on my Fouquieria burragei at this very moment - it hasn't quite opened up its first flower, but should soon - I'm very jazzed! Here is what the inflorescence looked like a few days ago. Flowers should be white/pinkish-white.

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here is a bloom panicle of the common species that is seen all over the SW and the only species native to the US (the rest are mostly endemic to Mexico). Mine is blooming en masse with all the others around town right now.
Fouquieria splendens

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

The only other species that I've had bloom so far is the poorly known Fouquieria leonilae. It is completely bare right now, but it IS putting up an inflorescence right now. This pic is of the inflorescence the last time it bloomed:

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Only have a small potted specimen of Fouquieria ochoterenae (Jordi has a gorgeous large plant!) - wish I could find another (I may have to make a trip to Tucson - the only place I've seen this sp. for sale)!

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

One of the most striking species is Fouquieria purpusii. This is the larger of two specimens that I have.

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Another strange species is Fouquieria shrevei. I have two of these - one small seedling (7 yrs old, but still about 8" tall!), and this one (ca. 23").

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Although mine have not yet bloomed, I can't wait for them to do so, as they have the most unique flowers in the genus. Instead of being borne on panciles or racemes, they grow individually attached to the stems themselves.
The DBG has a 24" specimen that has bloomed for several years. Here is a photo of the flower buds from last year:

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Fouquieria diguetii is a frustrating one for me. I purchased this plant as a 3 ft plant in 2004. It has grown like mad and is now over 7 ft tall. But, it has NEVER bloomed for me! Maybe next year??? = )

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Fouquieria fasciculata has been a problem for me...I've only got one healthy plant right now and a couple of failures. I'll figure this one out sooner or later! This one gets a fat caudex and is one of the true succulents in the genus.

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Fouquieria formosa gets pretty bright orange, curved flowers, but my 2 are still years from blooming. (Rats!) I know Jordi has some incredible photos of his blooming!

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

And lastly, the famous Boojum Tree - Fouquieria columnaris - this one used to be in its own genus (Idria). This is a species for which I have a nice specimen that added almost a foot of growth this year, but they don't bloom for many years, so I'll probably not live to see mine bloom (ARGH!). They are unique in several ways, and they are very cool looking. This is my plant from lat summer - they leaf out in the winter and drop their leaves in the summer. Mine is just starting to lose its leaves for the summer and is about another foot taller than in this pic.

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow I had no idea there were so many different ones. It seems I have a lot to learn. I love Plants of the Southwest. I hav enot been to Az Cactus but I know my friend and I have been meaning to visit them.. I will make a list for the Fall DBG sale too.

I cannot wait to see some of your other in bloom.

Where did you obtain Fouquieria burragei? The flower on it are something else....

This message was edited May 3, 2010 2:16 PM

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are gorgeous, Minime! I tried to grow Fouquieria a couple of times, but it just isn't hot enough in my part of the Bay Area.

Don't give up hope on the cirio that hasn't flowered yet. I saw a couple of those in full bloom in Cataviña that were about as tall as your plant. Just a little stouter. :)

You have an embarrassment of riches. Which are the succulent members of the genus? How much rock do they like in the soil?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

The burragei I obtained from Plants of the Southwest in Tucson.

However, the DBG always has some seedlings of burragei at their Annual Fall & Spring Plant Sales, and also always seem to have several seedlings for sale throughout the year in their gift shop.

I've got a membership @ the DBG, so I go pretty much every month (if not more), and the last few times they've had 10-15 seedling burragei in the gift shop (the outdoor patio space).

Up until yesterday, I had the will power to avoid them....BUT, yesterday, I finally broke down and decided that since my one burragei is blooming, if I ever want any hope of good seed being produced, I will need another plant, so I trucked on up to the DBG plant shop to pick one up.

And, wouldn't you know it, there were NONE!! Don't know why...they were there just a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to call them next time! RATS!

Cheers,
Tristan

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

@Baja_Costero - Thanks! I have indeed been lucky!
That is REALLY good news about the Cirio/Boojum - I will now hold out hope! = )

As far as planting, I do pretty much 50/50 cactus/succulent mix from Home Depot and pumice. When planting in-ground, I also mix in some of the native soil. Whatever you use, it has be well-draining...I've lost a couple in-grounders from the soil being too heavy or the plant being in a small depression where water collects underneath the plant.

I am really not too knowledgeable (yet), but have learned a lot from other members of the available forums. A lot of trial and error (which can be tragic with Fouquieria's since they grow so slowly!).

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Forgot to answer your question about which species are the succulents.

If I remember correctly from Hendrickson's monograph, the "true" succulents in the genus are columnaris, purpusii, & fasciculata.

This message was edited May 3, 2010 3:05 PM

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Minime8484, That has to be one of the most enjoyable posts I have experienced. Thank you for sharing. I have a few Ocotillo, but nothing like your collection. Do you mist them in the morning during the summer to keep them in leaf? My biggest growing problem with Ocotillo has been Topos (Gophers). Don

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, I agree with Dlmcgrw this is a very informative post!

Thanks for the info-bits. Lots of rock was what I was thinking too.

Hey, I don't have photographic proof of the small (~1.5m) cirio flowering, but I do have a shot of its growth tip up close. When you get to actually see the business end of this plant, it can be quite impressive.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Minime8484

I have looked at the website of Plants of the Southwest and intend on being in Tucson on the 12th . How do you rate the place ? They are one of the few places that I see that list a climbing aloe that I desire .

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/61401/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/127238/

Also Minime8484 , which of the other Fouquieria's do you feel are the most cold hardy ? And how did you get a foot of growth out of your Fouquieria columnaris in a year . I thought that these were famous slow growers at about 1 inch a year . I've had one for about two years and that seems to be about what I am getting . Developing a lot of branches and getting bushier but not able to see the column yet .

and Marie I have two of the Fouquieria macdougalii . One I got at Arizona cactus sales ( if you have not been there it is worth the trip , just south 1 block of the 202 on Country Club in Mesa) . The other I got at Bakers .

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

@lonediver
I would rate Plants for the Southwest a 10 out of 10 - they are extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and their plants are healthy. I've never ordered from them via mail, always stopped in. They've even opened up the place for me when I happened to be in town on their "off day." They are small, so it is always best to call ahead to be sure they will be there. I've only ever bought Fouquieria species there, so can't vouch for any others, but the other plants all look quite healthy too.

As far as cold-hardy Fouquieria, splendens is probably your best bet, but formosa personally seems to me to thrive on cold. During that ultra-cold snap we had in Jan 2007 when it got down to 20 degrees or so for 3-4 nights, I happened to be out of town the whole time, so couldn't cover my plants. Most species were affected - the larger ones simply lost the ends of the longest branches, some had the apex killed, but grew new branches around it. Formosa, however, which was partly leafed out at the time, seemed to kick into full-growth gear not long after. It was the only one whose leaves were unaffected as well.

All seem to be fairly hard down to at least 30 degrees though. But, splendens & formosa would be the ones I'd bet on in a deep freeze.

As far as amazing growth of my F. columnaris, I don't do anything special really. Below is a pic of the 11" specimen a few months after it went in-ground in July 2005. I obtained it in Oct 2004 as a 10" (dirt to tip of trunk) specimen from AZ Cactus Sales.

Each year it grew more than the last. I think I recorded, for example, 8" of growth in 2009; this year I haven't yet measured exactly (still might be growing a bit), but it is at least 10-12". It is now over 4ft tall (dirt to tip of trunk). The base isn't too wide - probably 7-8" in diameter.

Is yours in-ground? I know Fouquieria don't grow nearly as fast in containers, but once in-ground and allowed root-run, they tend to take off.

The important thing with columnaris is to not water at all while dormant, and only when growing/in-leaf. (they are prone to rot during dormancy)

@Dlmcdrw - I don't mist to keep them leafed out; I basically let them do what they want to. Of course, that means they can be bare and dormant for quite a while, and they start giving you ulcers when you think they might be dead!! = )
I can relate about the gophers....I don't have those, but I *do* have Curve-billed Thrashers....they are my nemesis. Constantly digging holes at the base of my plants - including my ocotillos!!! I have to keep an eye out for holes at the roots and hurry up and provide them with fresh dirt/mix! Those birds drive me batty!!

Thanks to all for the wonderful compliments - this is such a great group of folks, I am so glad that I can share my enjoyment of the Fouquieria's!!

Cheers,
Tristan

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Spectacular! Thanks for sharing.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Splendens I already have 5 of , I should have asked other than native variety , but you did answer with suggesting the formosa . I plant everything in ground as I consider pots to maintence intensive and constrictive to plants development . That cold snap got down into the teens out here . I even lost a few native ironwoods in that . I had best move my columnaris as I have that planted in a bed with a few other things so as to pay attention to it's needs specifically as per your advice . It's bushy head needs a little more space anyway . I planted it a little too close to some others .

I have about 1/2 acre out of 4 acres (a few cacti scattered through the rest of the property) that I have largely devoted to cactus . I think at last count I've some 11 varieties of cholla ( great habitat for native birds ) 9-10 varieties of yucca and others . I'll have to do an inventory one of these days.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

A couple pics from my Fouquieria burragei that just opened its first ever flower today!!
I'm very excited - this is now my favorite!
Thanks for letting me share!
Cheers,
Tristan

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

One more photo of the closeup of a couple of the corollas

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Minime you are causing me to have to go out and find a Fouquieria burragei for no other reason than I love those blooms!!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

@marieortiz - Hehe....then, my Job here is Done!! = ) Hey - if you DO find any, let me know where - called the DBG, and they still don't have any! I need another burragei, ochoterenae, & shrevei...all 3 are proving difficult to find (other than seed)!!

Just got home, and the Fouquieria burragei inflorescence is in full swing! Glad I didn't miss the whole show!
Cheers,
Tristan

Thumbnail by Minime8484
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Now that is beautiful!! Did DBG say when they would have them again?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

The Garden Shop person I spoke to really had no idea, but is guessing sometime in the fall. He indicated that several plants that go dormant this time of year (and thus look like dead sticks to the uninitiated) were returned to their wholesaler, but assumes they will be back when they start leafing out again. For most Fouq's around here, that tends to be around monsoon season (at least for me).
I would almost bet they have them again at the annual Fall Plant Sale, but I was hoping to not have to wait that long so I could get one that would do some growing for me this summer.
Alas, that may not happen if I cannot find another source!

Plants for the SW in Tucson still has some (and they ship them too), but all of theirs are related to mine (since that was my source too!), so I want to get an unrelated plant from a different source. Another source for burragei, where I may go ahead and order from - is Arid Lands Nursery (http://www.aridlands.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=2584). I just prefer picking mine out myself, but I may have no other choice for the species I want still!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hmmm sounds like a Tucson road trip may be just thing I need!!

Goodyear, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh No!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.