Late Snow

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Well the tulips are in full glory out front, the hot wing maples are showing their frist green. Now we get three inches of snow and it is supposed to be 21F overnight. This weather should be mid-February. I guess we will find out just how tough some of these plants really are!

Sonny

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We here are getting lots of snow but most welcome here. The cold is not as serious because the weather has kept the plants just emerging. I was glad to see a lot of my tender trees survived the -20F last October 4th.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Snow, wind and rain here for the past two days, with more to come in the next two days. It is making me a bit grumpy... we have finally gotten a lot accomplished with spring clean up and boom, more snow. Ah well, I know, springtime in Colorado.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Up until Wednesday's 75F day, most of my stuff was still sleeping so the weather didn't bother it too much. However, Wednesday you could just stand there and watch the stuff pop out of the ground! Then snow on Thursday... Mother nature plays cruel jokes on our gardens. A few things got sad and droopy but they were looking better this morning when the sun came out.

Steve, your tree looks beautiful, but sad. It had just gotten all dressed up and Mother Nature came and ruined the party!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Our beautiful rain was followed today with beautiful sun and much warmer temps. Out to the motorcycle for a ride then back to plant the moss I bought.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Wednesday: Snow 4"
Thursday: Snow 3"
Friday: Some snow

Fortunately the temps only got down to 29F. Everything looks a little battered, bring on Spring!

Soferdig, As Bill the Cat in Bloom County, Opus, Outland, etc. would say to you and your sunshine motorcycle ride...Phhhhbbbbbt. LOL!!!

Sonny

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahh a nice cool ride in the bright sun ended with a beautiful sunset right now. Though a few clouds dumped some beautiful rain to enrich my garden. Moss is loving it. And I accept the Phhhhhbbbbbbt from you Bill. Consider a move up to where God lives. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful scenery there, Sofer! Nice KTM... that would be the only bike of DH's that I wouldn't ride tandem with him on, even though it was set up for it. A little too fast in the dirt... that one actually scared me. We haven't gotten our bike out yet here, we did take it in February and rode a bit. It's just getting to be time to ride!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I too get scared on this one. I just sold it because of that. I am too light to ride this one especially on steep terrain. It just throws me off. Last year I got a BMW 650 dual sport so I can still do the dirt but also the road with comfort. I am driving it up to Alaska in June as a vehicle when I am up there working.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice BMW! Our street bike is a BMW K1200LT... love that bike. BTW and off topic, we are hosting an all bikes Motorcycle Rally here in Dolores August 11 - 14, will include dual sport opportunities as well as awesome street riding around the mountains (250 mile loop through Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Durango). It would be great if you could join us!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I too would love to but ..... I am spending much of my summer with my 87 year old mom and then back to work.
Here she is helping me set up my big snag for birds to grace my sunroom.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, she looks great! What is a 'snag'?

Brenda,

A snag is a dead tree that remains standing, not to be confused with a widow maker.

Sonny

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Okay, I'll bite. What is a widow maker?

A widow maker is a tree, a tree top or tree branch that has been cut, but is still being held up by other trees. It may come down at any time without warning, possibly killing someone. Hence the name widow maker.

Sonny

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes snags are an irristable perch for any bird of prey. They can sit and watch or peck at bugs while gracing me with their closeup view. It also is sufficient for the little ones because we have cover trees nearby for them to fly to.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

It is May, isn't it?

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Tomato cages are waiting.

Thumbnail by vadap
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I feel your pain...

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Vadap, that looks just like my yard this morning! And they're saying 29 again for tonight, grrr.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Poor pretty tulips... As with all the rest of you, I'm sick of plants in my house and carrying them in and out. If it gets down that low tonight, fine. As long as that's the end of it! Hehe... My poor crabapple now looks more like a weeping crabapple.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

The tulips actually survived quite well. And they even did good with a heavy frost the next night. Heat is coming, so that should be the end. But, the alliums are firing up. :-)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

May snow showers bring retail dollars. As you replace the dead ones . I am quite shocked because the last 3 weeks have been beautiful up here in AK.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Everything survived the snow dump here cept the berginia flower stalks look horrible so I'm just going to cut them off. The ferns looky crappy too. Might cut those back to the ground. I still have late tulips to open. Tis a late season here.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Bummer about the berginia, DN. I planted the dahlias yesterday! I think (hope) that we are done with frost now. Looking forward to garden pictures!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I will have post some tomorrow. Things are starting to boom ^_^

Planted my cannas on Friday. I hope everything is warming up so the rhizomes don't rot in the ground.

I was wondering where I was going to plant the extras....and the Lord provided a nice stack of 20 Gal.? pots sitting out in front of someone's house next to the trash! :)

Sonny

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WHOOO HOOOO pewjumper. Bonus!

DN,

The good Lord has been providing all kinds of things that I need lately! Now we are having some really nice weather and I am starting to see the cannas coming up! Morgac down in Texas is even sending me a baby Tropicana cana! That one is coming inside for the Winter. :)

Time to start turning my attention to the 65+ TBD irises coming in August and the fill in plants for the front beds coming from HCG next week.

Things are getting busy, but fun, with helping good friends pick out and plant fruits/veggies at there beautiful cabin at the 9000 foot level above the nearby valley. These would be set & forget plants, soooo this will be a lot of fun to see how they handle the local conditions with no TLC. Any good high altitude fruits, berries or veggie suggestions are greatly appreciated from anyone. Rhubarb & blackberries maybe?

Sonny

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ARGH! s*n*o*w predicted here tonight. Blackberries and currants should luv that spot for sure.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

ive seen rasperries growing wild up in the mountains. and shasta daisies, columbines ((aquilegia cearulea)). most of the plants around here have woken up from their winters sleep. Ive seen delphinuims, but I dont think they are the plant and forget type. DN,we had hail yesterday. everything that I had planted out is shredded. :( Im just going to keep watering it and hope for the best

Lillyz,

It's good to here you didn't get it like Denver Metro!

My friends planted some potatoes at their cabin and they did okay!

Going to be out in the Elbert/Denver area on Friday & Saturday. A five day weekend is going to be great!

Sonny

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

That hail in Denver was baaad - I'm so grateful we didn't even have a hint of it here in the SE metro.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OUCH! about the h*a*i*l. We have had a mix of snow and rain.

Hamilton, MT

It's been late-snowing a lot. Below is the blizzard that literally chased us from Bozeman to Missoula on May 5, when we had been planning to nap the morning away and spend the afternoon at The Museum of the Rockies. Per the mirror warning, does a blizzard actually count as an object???

Thumbnail by snakeadelic
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cool pic snakeadelic! Yes methinks a blizzard counts as an object. One can only counter said object by donning water wings and skimming about on the resultant glacier till. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I never knew water wings were so versatile, dahlianut.

That is a good picture snakeadelic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.