Portable bog

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

After buying a Sarracenia and a Sun Dew on a whim , and researching till I was crosseyed, this was what I came up with to follow the sun.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Think this will work?

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

That is a beautiful Sarracenia leucophylla. I wouldn't put the Sarracenia and the sundew together, because I think the sundew is probably tropical and the Sarracenia is temperate. I would check two things.

1.) Is the rhisome of the Sarracenia touching the edges of the pot? If not, I think your arrangement works well.

2.) What is the soil in the Sarracenia pot? Does it have an odor other than plain earth? Is it super soggy, or is there a good amount of sand and/or perlite to offset the sogginess. I would have the big bowl with about 2" of water. never let it stay over the crown of the Sarracenia, but to have the pot of the Sarracenia sit in 2 inches of rain/RO or purified water is a great idea. That means of course that the sphagnum moss is very wet. Did you check to make sure the sphagnum has no fertilizers. That's pretty important.

Here's a picture of my portable bogs after the squirrels have rearranged them. They are just coming out of dormancy, so in about a month they will look a lot better.

Thumbnail by starsplitter7
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

A picture of my non portable bog.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

starsplitter7 nice bogs. What is the hairy looking stick in the right front corner of your blue portable bog? I see you have a fern in yours also. What are some other companion plants for the CP? I ask because I'm attempting to set up a bog as well and had only thought of CP until I saw your fern. I'm just a newbie with CP ;)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I can't take credit for the little bogs, since I bought them arranged like that, but I did keep them alive. :) The hairy stick is native sundew of Florida Drosera filiformis (thread sundew). Not sure of the type. It has pretty pink flowers too.

I have ferns in all my plants. I also have wild violets that seem to like the same growing conditions. I also have lots of trigger plants growing in my pots so I know they are pretty happy in there. They are all very weedy and populate themselves through runners and seeds. I also have an orchid in there. It has green flowers and does very well in cold temps (below freezing).

I have Sarracenia, Drosera filiformis (thread), Drosera capillaris (pink sundew), Drosera capensis (Cape sundew), Venus Flytraps, violets, orchids, ferns, and triggers in those mini bogs. All require full sun and can handle below freezing temps.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW. Thank you for all the info :)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

For easy caresheets --
http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7&chapter=1&zenid=71534fc436bb3231189b8b29bb16c727

I learned everything I know from cobraplants and Savage Garden. I am a bit obsessed. :)

Arlington, TX

There are worse things to be obsessed about than a group of plants.
C

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL thank you for the links.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

NTL, you make me feel much better. I do tend to go crazy in my hobbies.

Catz, you'll be surprised at all the plants that need to be out even when it is cold, even snowy and icy. The care sheets are the best. Did you see the pictures I posted from the Botanical Gardens?

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Oooo no I didn't. Could you post me a link there?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

There are some pictures here. Most of my pictures are on facebook. If you want to see, send me a Dmail with your email address, and I will friend you in facebook and you can look. :)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060149/

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Starsplitter7, Thank you for your reply. The Sarracenia doesn't appear to be touching the edge of the pot. There is no perlite in the soil, so I hope there is plenty of sand. The spagnum is clean, bought for orchids. The big pot has a drain hole, so I carefully add water till it overflows the plastic liner when I water my orchids each morning. This keeps about 2" of water in the Sarracenia pot and ,as it is raised, about 1/2" in the sundew. Right now the soil looks pretty soggy in both. If they survive till the hot weather hits, I may have to top water them and add a bit to the pitchers. Right now it is cold and very windy here! Spring is being fickle on the west coast!
Carol

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It took spring forever to get here.

With the spagnum the fear is fertilizers. It appears that fertilizers are popping up everywhere. Sounds like you have a a really good arrangement. Make sure your water is pure -- no minerals (no tap), . . .

You can top water both plants now, but you do not need to put water in the pitchers, although a little accidently won't hurt. They have their own recipe, and excessive water dilutes it. The Sarracenia is loving the cold, but your sundew might be happier on a sunny windowsill.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Now that the sun is up there a bit, I don't have any windows that get enough sun. I'm dying to get my tender orchids outside too, but with night temps dropping to the high 40s, and the cold winds....ah well, soon I'll be complaining about the heat.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

The sundew will like conditions like your orchids. Do you put them under lights? The sundew would like bright indirect light.

Here are some of my sundews and butterworts. They are in a window that gets minimal morning light, but there's a grow light.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.