Looking for a memory that's a mystery

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

When I was growing up my mom had a house plant the had round stems and very few leaves just on the ends of the stems. The stems grew amazingly fast. It would branch off and send new stems in other directions. It grew so fast! It had at the end of each stem a cluster of leaves bundled up like a very new sprig of dracaena. I know that's awfully vague. Does anyone have a clue what it might have been?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Spider plant maybe? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/251794/ (there are some that are variegated like this one and some that are plain green, so don't get confused if the one you're remembering had a different leaf coloration)

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

No, there were no leaves except right on the end of the branching stems and the stems were about 1/4 inch around. You could watch the stems grow day to day they grew so fast.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

If it's like any plant I know of at all, I guess it's a bit like bamboo, but not stiff, much more pliable and tender. Branches off at a 45 degree angle from joints and growth can be measured almost daily. Leaves appear at the ends of the jointed shoots and any joint can send out a new stem, in any direction.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Any ideas? I can't find it in any gardening books I've seen, or online.

I am only giving out another guess here but perhaps Dracaena sanderiana (Lucky bamboo)?

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

You might look up flame violet or alsobia cynget. Lou

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

You are all so kind to help me. The leaves I remember were very like the "lucky bamboo, but the stems seemed more vine like. But I'm going to try one and see if I can get it to do what I remember that plant doing. Boy, they're expensive though for the size they are!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Try your local Home Depot or Lowes or even Walmart for the lucky bamboo--they frequently sell them in the houseplant section and their prices are usually pretty cheap.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

It almost sounds like one of the wandering jew plants. They come in a lot of different colors, but there are some which are green.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

OH! I FOUND it! Do you know what that feels like? LOLOL! It's been years. And I bet it is a common plant that nobody even thought of, especially not me!

It is Callisia Fragrans.

Thumbnail by pjadams49417
Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

It was a Wandering Jew pic in a plant book today that made me think also that it was very like W J but so much bigger. So I searched on line for Tradescantias and found it. Thank you all so much for your help!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

That one is smallish in a basket. I found one more like the one mom had.

Thumbnail by pjadams49417
copenhagen, Denmark

Quote from pjadams49417 :
When I was growing up my mom had a house plant the had round stems and very few leaves just on the ends of the stems. The stems grew amazingly fast. It would branch off and send new stems in other directions. It grew so fast! It had at the end of each stem a cluster of leaves bundled up like a very new sprig of dracaena. I know that's awfully vague. Does anyone have a clue what it might have been?

I do have a surgestion I have a similar "thing" that I brought home as small plant from the Canarie Islands some years ago.
It is a sukkulent either Klenia Nerifolia Haw. or Euphorbia obtusifolia Poir.
Mine is a very unorderly growing plant, but charming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.