Mulberry Madness

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Two blankets and 10 minutes of tree shaking. We have to do it every two days for two weeks.

Thumbnail by jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

We are already stuffed.

Thumbnail by jujubetexas
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Mulberry wine, maybe?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

We dont drink.
What are you doing awake? Put yourself to bed ya night owl.
I hope the Loquats ripen next week so I can mix them in deserts and smoothies.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I was out for my walk yesterday and happened past a little tree growing in a crack by the sidewalk. I ate all the ripe ones and then had to walk home with a purple mouth like a four-year-old...

These were very juicy, but with good flavor, too.

I think our loquats are more than a week away, but they're looking like a nice crop, too.

Clinton Township, MI(Zone 5b)

You could make jam, jelly, or use them in recipes like other berries (like raspberries). Here is pie recipe that goes over well with people I have served it to.

Mulberry Pie

3 cups mulberries
2/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, mix berries with sugar and flour. Place mixture into bottom pie crust. Dot with butter and then cover with top pie crust. Crimp edges, cut slits in upper crust, and brush with milk. Let pie rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

3. Bake pie in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and let sit on wire rack until cool.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Consider it baked!!!

Clinton Township, MI(Zone 5b)

It is a tasty pie. You may want to play a little with the sugar and flour, depending on how sweet and juicy your berries are. Also, remember to turn the oven down after 15 minutes, I didn't the first time and ended up with the smoke alarm going off and a mess in the oven! My sister will sometimes put in a little lemon zest (and sometimes a handful of dried cranberries), but I'm a purist and just put in the mulberries. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.