ORVG Coffee House #175 - Springing Forward!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bonnie and yes you do need to get up here...
We are using it now.
The table saw and router have been used on the trimming.
I've almost finished the wiring and then we'll hard wire to the house.
Currently I'm just running a cord.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

It looks GREAT, Ric. Flower is pretty, too.

I snapped a few shots this morning, so I'll share, too.

This is my centaura group. Amethyst Dream, Amethyst in Snow and Montana.

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Last year my azalea, Girard's Crimson was a real disappointment. But, baby, is she making up for it this year!

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm trying a new sedge at the intersection of the path this year. I didn't like the height of the purple fountain grass I had there last year. Got too tall. I think this sedge (Prairie Fire) will do the trick..plus...it's a perennial!

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, last one for now.

I think this is filling in nicely.

Thumbnail by joycet

Cookie pretty pics oohhh aaaah
good morning or i guess it is
still sick again.
i was out in that cold wind yesterday and man it took a toll on me. Back to square one :( unhg
thanks for the kind words on the business
Ric i will tell savannah not to worry and that she will "catch" on soon LOL
oh boy i just woke up and i m already fading fast in the energy area. this is nuts ?
Bonnie i agree with Ric sometimes your body says "sleep stupid " or at least mine tells me that . Wheather i listen is the area i don't recognize to often LOL
i m not off and running to day
got some frost
good day

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Doesn't look like we got frost. Got down to 34 though.

Sorry, you're feeling bad, Sue, but let T pamper you, cause he doesn't get to do that nearly enough! ^_^

i will tell T to do that . I wish he could make my coffee in the morning ? but alas . He can't even boil water :( LOL he is off getting an oil change . So i got the whole house to myself and i got to sleep in ! wha whoo

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

We got frost and a heavy one. DH is out now uncovering the tomatoes and things in the garden. I haven't been out to see if any of my flowers etc were damaged, but will shortly. Today is grocery/errand day, and I need to get moving.

Sue sorry you don't feel well.

Joyce, pretty flower pics.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Joyce, you are so much better than I am at planning what will grow into areas that look skimpy in the beginning! I always plant too closely because I hate the initial sparseness, and then regret it in a year or three when division becomes crucial.

My yard closest to the creek got a tad of frost. Haven't been out to see what plants it may have affected. They are calling for a freeze tonight, not just frost. Yuck.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joyce that looks GREAT!
I agree , to an extent, on your Fountain Grass.
It was tall but magnificently grown.
Maybe more to the front of the Garden would work better?

We had a few pockets of frost.
Know the areas at risk and they were all heavily covered.
No damage it appears.
Looks like it for the frosty/cold.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Forgot to add.
Clara's next Sale is a week from Saturday

Books and mature plants will also be available.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5b)

Hello Everyone!! Trying to catch up and it isn't easy. Love all the photos of your gardens and plants. Jealous, haha! Nothing is growing as much here.

Congratulations on your business Sue!! Sounds like you and Bonnie both need to take it easy. I know it's hard this time of year when you want to be out enjoying every minute of it!

Fell down last night going into the garage, it's only 2 steps, duh, landed smack on both knees on concrete, ouch. Both knees are black and blue and swollen today. Have to drag around mulch so it's Tylenol Time!

Hard frost here last night and ice in a bucket I left outside. Is it warm yet??

Have a great day everyone!!

Annie

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Morning all. No frost here! Yayy!!
Have to say I am worried about those new roses though. They are drooping something awful??? They are still in their pots, plenty moist...and have been in the barn?? They were outside when we bought them? So what could be wrong?????
Love all the pics, Joyce and Ric.
Sue...sorry you are feeling bad.
Bonnie, I agree with the others...if your body says sleep..then that's the thing to do!
Cajun...I would have liked a deer roast this morning..lol. Saw 6 big ones in the field across the road from us when I opened the blind at the window! They were coming from the woods over there, but saw a car slow down, and turned around and went back to the woods.
Msrobin...don'tcha know...doesn't matter what you live in...or where you live..only that you have GARDENS!!!!
Sue...best of luck on the business!
You all that sit on your butts to weed..are lucky! Wish I could do that, but I would never be able to get back up if I did!
Well...my guy is supposed to come today after lunch...so I hope he can do a lot in a short time...lol! I have never had any help in the gardens before...except for Dave....so will be an experience.
Hope you all have a wonderful day! It's warming up fast here!!!

Waddy, KY

Well we had frost on the windshields this morning but I'm not sure that the ground had frost. I covered the tomatoes with some Reemay last night. Just dropped a few electric fence posts here and there to hold it down. While I was down there I pulled the rest of the kale. It's bolted so when it dries out we'll mow it down, plow and get it ready to plant tomatoes.

Last Thursday I got in the garden with the tractor and cultivators. I was so pleased as I got over all the broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce and peas. Well, last night I was astonished. I was expecting to see some very clean rows but instead it looks like 60% of the weeds I thought I killed took root back during the rain and are growing merrily along. How disgusting is that???? The only good thing is I think the beets and carrots are up high enough now that I could possibly cultivate those rows too and clean those out. I don't know if the ground would work before it starts raining on Friday night or not.

Annie, watch those knees. I've gone down on mine a few times and now it seems like I have to baby the left one a little. It doesn't like it if I bend it too severely anymore so I have to make sure that leg goes first getting down off the tractor. Thank goodness I don't have to milk cows in a stanchion barn anymore....

Sue, what kind of advertising are you doing? Be sure to take advantage of any type of matching funds that your Dept. of Agriculture might offer and any type of free advertising that may come along. We list our open gardens in both the Louisville and Lexington papers and get a lot of business due to that.

Got to go. ~~~~~~~~~ everybody!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Sue, might try Craigs list, too.

Lots of people are avoiding Craigslist since all the sex scandal...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Is Craig a pervert?

LOL. Scandal was about the List being used to procure sex, don't remember details and whether ownership was involved...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well 7 kids..... Oh Wait! Wrong Craig....... ;-)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

LMAO! Oh Chele!~~~~~

Ric LOLLLL you is bad
the latest on Craigs list is the guy who was arrested for selling children with an add . Ummmm .... like did he think he wouldn't get caught ??? " Gah der dah "
thanks Kydaylilylady good advice on the advertisment. I agree on the weeds. I sprayed last week and not a dead one ! they are growing faster than i can keep up , so wrong at so many levels.
busy day today again
got some stuff from storage. glad to get that out of the way
kids are at baseball. So i m drinking a beer and catching up on quiet time
feeling a bit better but didn't want to be out in the cold wind tonight. brrrr.

Good evening folks... just winding down for the night here.

I've mostly sorted and piled everything in a heap to pack in the morning, except for cold foods. I have to take all the foods I am allowed to eat, at least enough for the weekend... my check comes Monday and I can shop up there for the week. Also have to take my coffee pot since they are taking theirs to the timeshare. I'm sure I shall forget something vital... I usually do.

I cannot remember the last time I had to pack for 10 days away from home, but certainly it wasn't also having to consider weather variances. I've gone from sweats to shorts and back to sweats just today.

I've been reading lots of yummy recipes today, like creamed sweetbreads in puff pastry, pate, terrines, and tongue with creamy horseradish. I haven't even seen tongue in the grocery store in maybe 30 years. Doubt I'd want to eat one from a feedlot anyway. Also some good recipes for game: elk, pheasant, wild boar... all kinds of cool, tasty things. Ric is probably the only one of this gang who might try some of the recipes I copied, LOL.

Nite all...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

OK first off hands up.....
who here HASN'T thought about selling their kids....
Didn't think I'd see any hands! LOL!

Well we started yet another project.
Actually it's a continuation of the Pond Rebuild last Summer.
We needed more rock.
So we are deconstructing the corner pond.
Fear not it will emerge from the ashes....

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Got about 600 pounds of rock moved.
Still have about 4 hours work left.

Thumbnail by henryr10
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Poor Craig!!! LOL!!
Darius...I LOVE tongue! And they sell it at Wally here. But...it is really pricy! Dave wouldn't eat it anyway. And don't forget your toothbrush..lol.
Well...my helper got a good bit of edging done for me. In the process, he dug up and threw away several small grasses..lol. He also threw away many grape hyacinths...and scattered many more.
We retrieved the one grass and replanted it. And I don't really care about the grape hyacinths, as I have ..probably..thousands...and there will be thousands more next yr too. He is doing a lot that I can't do..so that is good. Tomorrow he will be doing some painting for me.
He worked from noon to 5:30 without taking a real break....even though I told him to?
What do you all think would happen if I dug up some asiatic lilies now..and replanted them right away?????

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

You all are too funny!

Enjoy your trip Darius.

I got lots done in the garden. I finally feel like I'm making some progress.

Ric, I don't envy you moving 600 pounds of rock. It would take me more than a part of a day!!

Darius, hope that you haven't forgotten anything, but most probably you will. If you are coming to the RU, I can work out a deal with you on fresh beef tongue. We had 2 slaughtered about a month ago, and I think they packaged and sent everything home except the horns. I have 1 whole tongue that you would be welcome to. Just let me know. These are calves that we raised in the barn, corn fed, and had slaughtered. A roast I cooked over the weekend was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Good stuff.

Today was my grocery/errand day, and by the time I got home and changed clothes, sat and rested a bit, it was time to cook supper. I didn't even get out to do a walk about in the gardens to see what all is blooming. I know that I have some new iris blooming, but will get out and look at them tomorrow morning early.

Annie, take care of those knees. In all probablility you will need them for many years to come.

Janet, we had frost on the ground, but DH had covered everything, so no damage. They are saying frost again tonight. DH may just have to settle for getting up early and washing the frost off the plants, as he didn't cover anything tonight.

Off to bed shortly, I am very tired tonight.

Bonnie, thanks for the offer of tongue but I will decline... only because they were from grain-fed cattle. Part of my overall feeling better has been the switch to 100% grass-fed meats of any kind and totally eliminating grain from my diet. Man, what a difference! I used to take a stomach-acid proton-pump inhibitor every 12 hours (by prescription), and haven't had even ONE pill in over 2 weeks.

Columbus, OH

Darius, my husband's cholesterol dropped dramatically when I forced him to eat only grass-fed meats. I kinda thought it was voodoo when I heard it, but it works.

I don't eat meat, so I can't give up grains.

ETA: I just found someone on Craigslist who just posted some used landscape stone for a great price--I am crossing my fingers for a deal on some fantastic flower bed edging!

This message was edited Apr 29, 2010 8:01 AM

darius did you know you have the same name as the worlds biggest bunny rabbit. :) The rabbit is over 4' long ! and still growing.
He is in the Worlds Record Book.
i have never wanted to sell my kids....but maybe rent them out for a day or two ? *blush*
well lots to do
msrobin so glad your feeling better
Bonnie glad you didn't get much damage from the frost.
we didn't get a frost ? or maybe it melted by 8 am ?
with T home i get a break from morning school duties ! and garbage duty. Wish i could get a break from dishes and laundry
Marcy can you send your guy over to my house ? ! he sounds like a good worker and a keeper. Glad you found someone to help out.
bbl

Waddy, KY

Oh Jeez Bonnie! TONGUE!!!! That's considered a treat at our house. Kate absolutley adores it. We sent two more to slaughter yesterday so we should have some more here pretty soon. Luckily I only have to find space in the freezers for one as the other was sold on the halves. The ones that we're selling right now are tasting really , really good.

I decided yesterday that I had to get daylilies dug whether the ground was dry enough or not especially since there's another 1-2 inches of water coming in this weekend. I've got lily bulbs I can pot up while it's raining. That and wash and trim the daylilies to ship on Monday. I've got about 6 more orders to get out of the ground and ready for this time period.

If it's raining bunches on Saturday I'm not sure DH is going to the Lexington market. I'm not sure it's worth it to be miserable for nothing.

Everybody have a good day.

Well, it is supposed to be in the 70's today, and since I was so busy with the grocery/errand day yesterday, I did not have a chance to even check on anything. So heading out in a few to do the morning assessment of what needs to be done, and then deciding what should be first on the list of "to do's" today.

Janet, this beef that we have now is one of the best that we have ever had. The offer of the tongue from our beef is still open to whomever wants it, as it will just languish in the freezer.

Celene, hope you can work a deal for the landscape stone.

Columbus, OH

*shuddering at the idea of tongue*

I'm moving some plants outside since it's warmer today!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

They sell tongue at Jungle Jim's, too. I used to eat tongue sammys with my girlfriend, but I don't think I'm up to looking at it to cook it...okay...call me a wimp....

Waddy, KY

Bons, when you feel up to doing lunch again let me know. We'll give you tongue a good home. Did you all fatten the calf or someone else? Second DD was feeding the last two and was weighing them a couple times a month to get their rate of gain. She was picking up their feed pans and leading them to the scales. When the trailer pulled up she grabbed their feed pans and just walked them on the truck.

We fed them here. Got them as small calves and kept them oh, don't know how long, but they were grain fed in the barn, (wild onions in the pasture you know) and they are delicious.

Will look at my calendar, my schedule should start slowing down as far as Dr appointments are concerned.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, what's the story about wild onions in the pasture? Does it flavor the meat and is that a bad thing?

Robin, it sure is. Other things will flavor the meat also. Once DH was fattening a calf, and ran out of grain, and had some horse feed, which has a sweetener added, and the beef was so sweet you could hardly eat it. So the rule here is in the barn, only corn and hay.

Just back from a neighbor's and he gave me purple wave petunias, and a perennial poppy, some sedum and some cactus. He only mentioned the petunias to me last night, and when I got there, all the other stuff was thrown in. He is a swell guy. Some of you may remember, this is Edna's DH.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Weeds and Feed will affect milk taste too.
So you have to be careful there too.

The Black Angus we get is pasture raised until Sept or so... then into the barn.
But they are hay supplemented the whole time they are in the field.
Nice that these hung 17 days too. Adds a good depth of flavor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.