ORVG Coffee House #175 - Springing Forward!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1085044/

Usually we do this late at night but.....lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm here, but I'm headed out! Enjoy this lovely day, all!

Thumbnail by joycet
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

If Safer's works on the sawfly cats, I'm guessing Neem would be ok too? I've got some Neem already, gonna spray those buggers tonight! I'm only seeing them in one bed, the others all look fine. I'll go ahead and spray all of them anyway- don't want to make them search out new candidates.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow! Cool pic of that peacock! We have them living down the road from us. They cry right about dusk...and sound just like a baby crying!
Another beautiful day here too! I am anxious to get out, but have to get the bathrooms cleaned first!
Wouldn't you know...the weather is supposed to change this weekend. And I just hired a guy to help me in the gardens! So looks like he won't be here until sometime next week! He is going to do some painting for me, and some edging I hope. I told him to wait until after it rains to do the edging, because it is really dry...way down deep. And of course, he needs about 3 dry days in a row for the paint. I should have called him last week huh?!
Just found out ...the tiny wire vine I bought last fall at Lowe's, is completely hardy here! I kept it inside all winter!
It doesn't look very good, so gonna put it outside and see if I can bring it around!
You all have a great day out there!!

(Zone 5b)

HELLO TO ALL !!! WOW, everyone has been so busy!! Glad those who have not been feeling well are getting better, this weather is so healing.

I'm buried in yard work and couldn't be happier about it. Roses are planted and surviving so far, put banana peels in each hole. Have 60 yards of mulch to do, ouch, then can start planting some shrubs. I love this time of year!

Have a wonderful day!!
Annie

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I hav been away from the puter for a couple of days and this thread gets away from me quick. I enjoy reading and catching up but i have trouble remembering everything to comment. Don't want anybody to think their news is not important to me or unappreciatd. So glad everybody is doing well and keeping busy in the gardens. I got to go to my friend's yesterday and put in 4 rows. We got a slow steady rain last night so the beds and garden to jump to life now.

Need to do some house work and get the trash taken up to the road. Got most of my porch cleaned yesterday. Been a looong time comin'. :)

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Howdy...((((((((((((ALL)))))))))))

Marking the new thread and telling all you good weather folks how jealous I am of your gorgeous gardens while I sit up here in the tundra with a half a hosta every now and again peaking out of the ground.

Sucks to be me around this time of the year.

msrobin i do feel for you . I started the weight loss journey 3 yrs ago. It was not fun ! people have no sympathy for you. They will sabotage your meals . They will offer you cake ect... even though they now your on a diet. My MIL was the worst !! i hated her , i hated going to her house. I ripped my DH a new one and told him " if i was an alcoholic would you offer me a drink ? " and told him" if she keeps this up , there will be more problems ! and i won't be nice about to her when i say it." So he told her.
The world is created for us to be thinking food at all times . The grocery stores are the worst. Ever notice how wally puts cakes and pastries in the front of the store ? yes evil .
I would rather quit drugs then sugar ! honestly i can go to a rehab for drugs but i can't for food ??? LOL
I m praying and wished you luck. Please let me know how i can help you through this journey. It takes time. Food portion is so distorted cuz a Big Mac is soooo much nicer looking then a rice cake . :P
Neal no i haven't seen the movie yet. But i want to. :)
well i m off and running
just took a break for soup.
bbl

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Drum Roll, Please.........................

Whoopee! Just finished with the endoscopy about 2 hours ago, and it's CLEAN!!!!! The first varices nearly three years ago they banded (when I almost bled to death) didn't show up as any scar tissue, and the new small ones found over a year ago, but too small to band, are completely gone, and NO new ones have developed. I think I left about 50 pounds of worry at the hospital today!

I'm still in Charlottesville, staying overnight because the nurse said I'm "legally drunk" from the anesthesia and I should not dare drive.

I missed whatever movie Neal mentioned, but tonight PBS has the premier showing of Food, Inc.. It ought to be required watching.
http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/
http://truefoodnow.org/2010/04/19/pov-to-air-food-inc-april-21st/
http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/filmmaker_statement.php

Be back later, need to sleep some of this off...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow Annie...60 yards??????? What the heck are you mulching?? Dave gets a truckload of mulch..in fact..on his way now...and that is only 1 1/2 yds. That will do at least half of my beds! I don't envy you having to spread all that...lol.
On my way outside!

(Zone 5b)

Yeah, 60 yrds! I got two estitmates and that was what they both quoted. For the mulch and to spread it out was $2,500.00. NO WAY! DH has a dump truck at the shop so we'll get our own mulch and see if one of the guys at the shop wants to make some extra $ and help me spread it all. My DH says that should be my first clue that my flower beds are too big and I have too many LOL. All the beds aren't for flowers, there will be lots of shrubs and some trees too. I'm almost finished mulching around the coop using old mulch. Chickens need flowers too.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Darius, Great news! I know you are relieved. So happy for you. Now you can move on with other things and not be dragging the weight of all that stress around. It can really get you down. Can you get PBS to see the food show?

We have church tonight. I need to go study for my lesson and get my craft together. I try to make a craft with them every week. Nothing fancy, just fun. I'm going to have to get the parents to help me collect stuff we can use, like old buttons ect. It gets expensive for me to buy that stuff for 6 to 8 kids every week. I need to make a trip to a thrift store or yard sale and see if I can get an old iron that works half way decent. I have an idea for some "stained glass" using wax paper and crayon shavings. If you guys have any ideas for cheap, easy crafts the kids could do, please pass them on. My students range from 7 -12 yo with a 3yo little sister thrown in for good measure. LOL Thanks.

Yes, I can get the PBS show up here in C'ville since I'm staying over. Just hope I can stay awake for it. If not, they will have it for online viewing for a couple of weeks.

darius that is great news !! congrats . Wow what a relief. Yes i would say you left it at the Hosp LOL
well not much here
did a lot but felt like i got nothing done ? weird
planted a bed of onions. got two more to go. still got potatos La Ratte Fingerlings. I also got Irish and Pontiac ? its a red.
moved some plants. i have a lady coming tonight to get some.
watered the garlic
ate 4 cookies. with fat free milk LOL
yes i would say that is a lot of mulch. I thought i had a lot at 5 yrds. ! LOL
kids have baseball
bbl

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Darius, so happy to hear the good news! Big hugs to you, I know you were sweatin' it! 'Food Inc.' is the movie I was talking about- you're right, it should be required watching.

Sue, ya know, since I quit eating fast food regularly and quit keeping soft drinks in the house, keeping weight off has been no problem. I don't use much processed stuff either, and make most things from scratch. But I eat all the butter and mayonnaise I want (and I like butter and mayo a LOT, LOL), and as much meat and carbs as I want. I try to keep it to complex carbs, like whole grain breads and pastas, and brown rice. Do you remember the guy I was talking about seeing on Oprah talking about the American diet? He's one of the main ones interviewed on 'Food, Inc.'. I think you're right about sugar, I think its the "real" starter drug addiction. An interesting thing that guy mentioned was that the human body is hardwired to crave sugar, salt, and fat, 3 things that aren't abundant in nature. I had always wondered why things that are bad for us are so attractive to our taste buds, but when I thought about it like that, it makes sense. In a natural environment, they aren't so readily available.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Darius my Friend that is AMAZINGLY GOOD News!
Congratulations!
Robyn said to tell you "That's GREAT!"
Glad that's behind you now!

Well all my 'big' power tools are in the Workshop.
It got small REAL fast! lol!
Plus the dust collection system is up and running.
A MUST as I feel like I hacked up an 8' 2x4 last night.... ;-)

Actually I only use a few at a time so I have made some mobile.
When we're doing 'Big' Construction we can move them outside.
For Crafts I have it set up in stations.
Table Saw, Band Saw, Scroll Saw, Table Router are readily accessible.
Tomorrow I'll be running the wiring.
Now that I know where I need wiring....lol!

Ric

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good evening. Darius that is great news, and now you can shift your worries to something else. Seems like we are never worry free, just shift it from one thing to another.

Today was grocery/errand day, and I stopped at a couple of nurseries, finally found some bacopia, something that I love in hanging baskets, but never seem to see it around much. When I got home, after I put away the groceries and rested a bit, it was time to cook supper, then clean the kitchen and then off to Bible Study. Seems like there is always something to do.

Cajun, I will try to look at some craft things, I used to have a bit folder that I had from past Bible Schools, and may have something that I can send to you. That is, if I can find it.

Neal that is interesting about the sugar and fat. I know what you mean about mayo ! i make it from my own yolks and its even yummier ! but oh so not heart healthy LOL . sugar is a hard one to beat. I don't drink a lot of soda . But maybe once a week ? i just need a little fizzy good thang . Funny about the cravings we have huh ? i didn't see the show yet . I think its on DVD ?
well busy day today
i m pooped

Columbus, OH

Sue, I'll help you out with the dieting, and bring something healthy to the RU :) Any requests? I love black bean hummus with veggie dippers, except it looks like something you'd more often find in a diaper than a serving dish.

Cravings, I used to crave salty rather than sweet snacks. With the renal failure, they took away my salt. None of the salt substitutes are very good, and I miss it most on my beloved baked potatoes.

There is so much salt in processed foods, and I have always read labels but do more so now than ever. I found that cooking from scratch is about the only way to decrease the amounts of salt, or sugar or fats for that matter.

I have changed to sea salt, as it has much less sodium, and I only use a very little.

Columbus, OH

That's what I use, sea salt. And smoked salt...mmm. I find that smoking things like nuts (go ahead, laugh) gives them the illusion of a salty taste when you don't use very much salt at all.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Darius....GREAT news! So glad for you!!
Nothing new here...just tired like last night...lol.
Hope you all had a wonderful day. I did.
Night all.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I do love using sea salt for that very reason. I didn't realize how much saltier it tasted till I ran out and went back to regular salt one time- seemed like I had to use twice as much to get the right taste.

Sue, I make mayo sometimes too, and would all the time if I had farm fresh eggs, mmmmm...good stuff! We're considering converting one the sheds to a chicken coop. I really miss the good eggs.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just a suggestion on the fresh mayo..... use pasteurized eggs.

Here's a clip I found in searching.

Place the eggs in a pot with cold water. Put the water on medium heat and stand by to watch as the temperature rises. You don’t want the temperature of the water to exceed 150 degrees. If you want to be exact, you can keep a thermometer probe in the water, if not 140-150 degrees is the stage before bubbles start to form. At that temperature, you can just about keep your finger in the water for a few seconds before you burn yourself. When you reach this temperature, try to keep it. So lower the heat, and watch so the temperature doesn’t rise, then keep the eggs in the water for about 3-5 minutes.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

What's wrong with fresh eggs and how do you make mayo. I got lots of eggs.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

It's them ole nasty store bought eggs that need pasteurizing. I was reading an article in Mother earth and the big egg producers want to start calling the real pale yolk eggs "platinum". What a joke.
Geo

good day to you all
busy busy here
still trying to figure out this party , will be calling the parents of the kids we invinted on Friday. To see if they come ?
weather isn't looking to great. I knew this would happen ! grrrrr. but i took a chance on it anyway.I sure hope the bouncy thing fits under the carport ? *sigh*
so off and running again
bbl

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Somehow, I lost track of the thread...

Darius, WHOOHOO! I am so happy for you thta you are so much better!

I couldn't find that show last night on the tv guide, so missed it. I'll try to find it on DVD, since it's impossible to watch online for me.

I've been researching heart healthy and oxygen-rich foods and diets. I sure didn't know I was ingesting that must salt. I recently gave up coffee because I knew I was using way too much coffee mate and sugar, and switched to hot tea, because I drink it with just a tiny bit of sugar. But this is going to be tough trying to figure out what I can and can't have and not have to completely give up all my favorite foods!

Working in the garden today, and straightened up the greenhouse. It sure feels good to feel good for a change. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The problem isn't w/ the eggs it's how they are used.
Cooked eggs of any kind would have Salmonella bacteria killed by the heat.
Raw eggs.... Mayo, Bernese Sauce, etc don't.
Store bought or Chicken sat there's an increasing chance of bacterial contamination.
Small chance to be sure but...... 1 in 10,000
The FDA says the chances are 1 in 50 that you will be in contact w/ an infected egg each year.
If they are cooked not problem.

Ric

I won't eat store-bought eggs anymore, not even the ones that say 'cage-free' because that just means a huge number of chicks crammed together on the floor with rows of nest boxes running down the middle. 'Free-Range' store eggs usually just means the hens have a tiny door with continual access to the outside, one tiny door per 1,000 chicks or so, and you don't want to know what the outside is like. It certainly isn't pasture.

I'll continue to make bernaise and mayo from local pastured eggs until I get my own, and no pasteurizing them at home either.

Where's the rain we need??

darius don't say the "R" word just yet !!! can't have rain until saturday at 3 pm . LOL
just a quick hello
need to go water
still got cupcakes in oven
then pot up butterfly bush 72
then i may get to sleep by 11pm ? and wake up get kids off to school
pick up T in Columbus and then run to get kids their birthday presents
then run back home , get cupcakes
run to their school by 2 pm with cupcakes
head home
hopefully things will be clean ?
LOL
may not see me tomorrow
good night
sleep well

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Cajun, mayo is really easy! 1 egg, about 3 tablespoons of either vinegar (white, cider, or white wine) or lemon juice, whisked together. Salt, and whatever seasoning you'd like- for a more traditional mayo I add some good paprika, sometimes a little onion powder, and a bit of pepper (white is good, but black is fine). While continuing to whisk, drizzle in about a cup of oil, depending on what you're looking for you can use canola oil, light olive oil, or extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin makes a mayo with lots of olive oil flavor that is good with a lot of stuff, but not what I want on sandwiches or for most salads. Using lemon juice and adding fresh pressed garlic makes a great one to use on asparagus, add some dill weed and its awesome on fish. Sometimes I add some Dijon mustard or powdered mustard seed- its kind of "as the spirit leads" with me in the kitchen, LOL.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ric, that's good to know that pasteurization process. My BIL made Caesar dressing the other night and the recipe said to "coddle" or maybe it was "cottle"? ..the egg. It said to bring water to a boil, remove it from heat and add the egg and leave it for 3 minutes.

Julia Child once said she spoke at length with the daughter of Caesar Cardini (who invented Caesar Salad) before she presented that salad on her tv show. She said a whole egg, coddled exactly one minute was the authentic approach for a Caesar Salad.

BTW, coddled eggs can be anything from 1 minute for Caesar Salad, 3-4 minutes for soft boiled, and 15 minutes for hard-boiled. My grandmother had egg coddlers, a porcelain cup with a screw top. You buttered the inside, and gently cracked the egg into it, screwed the top on, and immersed in boiling water. Alas, I did not inherit them.

Evening folks, a variety of topics of conversation. We had a drizzly rain until early afternoon, no accumulation, just yukky. I did manage to get out later and plant some annuals outside. I know it is still early, but I had bought some, and rather than keep them inside and watered, I elected to go ahead and put them in the ground.

Sue, for your area, we will wish for the rain to hold off until after your Saturday afternoon birthday party. For the rest of us, it can't come too soon. We are reallly dry here.

Cajun, I looked for the folder with the crafts, and haven't located it yet, but don't give up hope, it is probably here, in the mountains of paper that accumulate.

Won't weigh in on the egg issue, as i very seldom eat eggs, but use them in cooking. Surfice it to say, I was raised on a farm, and we had what is called free range chickens, meaning they roamed and ate whatever was available (meaning may have changed since then) but, if you have ever had eggs that were produced by a chicken who had eaten wild onions, ewwwww!

Robin, glad you are feeling better, and able to get out and do some work.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone!
Been working outside today. Planted my potatoes, finally!
Yesterday, Dave went to get a truckload of mulch. He called first to make sure they had the kind we wanted. Got there...and there was no one to load it! He was not a happy camper...and neither was I. She should have told him that on the phone before he drove ten miles or more! So today..I got to thinking about it. Wanted to get the mulch before it rained, because you get more that way. So I called to see how much if they delivered it. Well of course, they had a minimum load of 4 yards. I thought..ok...that should do most all of my beds..and it will be here when we need to put it down. So I had it delivered. When Dave gets it on his pickup, we still have to unload it. This way..it was all done!
He was surprised when he drove in tonight!! But he already has most of my front garden done...so that's a good thing!
I went to a party tonight that my friend and neighbor was having. It was called a Southern living party? Wow! Stuff was sure expensive! Saw a lot of nice things, but too much money.
I ordered a neat rain gauge...bout the cheapest thing they had...lol!
And it wasn't cheap!
Took a bucket of grape hyacinths with me and managed to give some away...lol. I must have dug up about a million today!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, I woke up in time to watch our 5 minutes of rain pass through. LOL Our local news says we're down about 8" of rain so far this year.

I have been sleeping so good, but I do need to make a shift in my sleeping schedule. Unfortunately, when I go to bed before 9 and wake up feeling fully rested 5 hours later, there's not a whole lot I can do when it's dark outside and the house is too small to keep from waking Al up.

I need some direction to follow up on, if someone has any good leads for me. I am so confused about what constitutes a healthy diet. I get the heart healthy diet, low fat, low calorie, low carb thing. I understand the concept of eating more fruits and vegetables, but I don't understand the bottom of the pryamid, where it says to include 6-11 servings of grains, pasta, etc. Isn't that what has been partially blamed for obesity?

Sue, how are the party plans coming along?

Columbus, OH

msrobin, I think that portion control and using whole grains is the key for carbohydrate-rich foods. For instance, one "serving" of pasta is one half cup. My husband dumps out what he estimates to be one half cup on his plate, and when I measure it? A squeak over two cups.

Not all carbohydrates are created equal; sugar is a carbohydrate. Whole grains like beans, quinoa, etc. are much more nutritious, and if you can get freshly ground whole wheat flour, it's 9000% better. I can eat half a loaf of fresh white bread, but only a piece or two of whole wheat--it's more filling, esp. when I add oat bran or flax seed.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Yes, portion control is one of our biggest problems here. I'm just confused about the carbohydrates and what exactly are good carb choices after fruits, vegetables, beans, etc. The more refined, treated or processed a carb is, the less healthy it is, right? So, this last trip to the store, we bought a couple of loaves of whole-grain bread, instead of white. I know there is whole wheat pasta available.

After I wrote that, I figured out that I can go online and look for good carb choices. I just couldn't think of the key words that would head me in the right direction.

I believe the obesity problem is complex, but high carbs (empty calories like white flour in bread and pasta, and sugar in everything) contribute mightily. Another big factor in our obesity epidemic is the wrong kind of fats. That's another merry path we have been led down...

I do agree with Celene that if you must eat grains, whole grains are better, although I strongly believe you need to address the phytates in them before consumption. You are a gardener... you KNOW seeds have a protective coat (phytates) that keeps them from germinating until the time is right (with moisture, warmth and a soil pH that's slightly acidic). Those phytates in the body keep us from absorbing calcium, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium... An overnight soak in water with a tablespoon or two of an acid like lemon juice or raw vinegar breaks down most of the phytate.

Three generations ago, few doctors knew how to treat diabetes because they seldom if ever had diabetic patients. Currently they are projecting 1 of every 3 children born after 2000 will get diabetes II on the Standard American Diet (SAD).

Off my soapbox, mainly because no one wants to hear it. I am coming to believe most people really do not want to get healthy if it means making hard changes. If a pill can fix it, that's fine and dandy. I include myself in the group resistant to change, at least until recently. Funny how the threat of a shortened life can make us finally change.

On a less heavy note... the ground got wet overnight and we may have a bit more rain today through the weekend. My plants are starting to be happier!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.