Show off your frogs 2010

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Thought I should start a new topic about our frogs and their antics.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

So far I have 4 frogs who have made their appearance known. Here is one beauty.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I am so excited to report that my 4 young bullfrogs survived our crazy, cold winter. Three of them are very shy and jump right in when I walk up but "Bubba" (yes, I named him!) just sits right there and watches me. He's so docile I had to actually nudge him into the water so I could plant something in the pot where he was sunning.

This past weekend I bought 4 more tadpoles so I should have a pond full of frogs by summer time! I hope I don't regret having 8!

I'll try to post a picture of Bubba to share.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Can't wait to see Bubba. This little one was enjoying the moss carpet today.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2010 12:45 AM

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This is my largest one so far this year.No comparison to Big Mama last year. RIP.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Woke up to 3 lotus buckets full of frog eggs. I'm really hoping that none of them are Cuban Tree Frogs, an invasive species here in Florida. With the unheard of freezes this year, they believe the CTF population will be down (along with Iguanas and Boa constrictors) as they are all south American species. I really am hoping for green tree frogs! I saw a place online that sells leopard frog tadpoles, and very much want some!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's Bubba, catching some sun today.....

Thumbnail by Gardengirl1204
Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Another....

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Bubba is beautiful. Looks very healthy & happy.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is one of my frogs that has fallen for the rubber frog next to the pond. I call him pygmalion...lol

Thumbnail by parrotma32578
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

One more...here are Fred and Ginger...lol

Thumbnail by parrotma32578
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Great looking frogs you have there Parrotma! Here is a couple of mine the other day.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

LOVE the pictures!!!!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I only have toads at this point, and yes...uhg....another set of Cuban Tree frogs. I heard that the abnormally cold winter here this year froze out the invasive species, but much to my disappointment, when I heard frog chatter around my pond and went to look, it was those nasties, doing the nasty. So a yard full of the bad guys again, to eat up all the good guys. :( poo

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Lovin' all your frogs! So here is a dumb question... I have a small pond now, we live across the street from a river here in SW Colorado. How do I get some frogs in my pond? If I go for tadpoles, won't the fish eat them? How will they survive the winter? Is this even possible if they have a lovely river to live at across the street?

Okay, that was several dumb questions... but I'm hoping all of you frog people can educate me!

Brenda

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Most likely the frogs will find your pond if they want a quieter place to live. You can relocate tadpoles but just be sure they are bigger than the fishes mouth! LOL. My daughters friends brought me some that needed relocating last summer. They grew and survived but flew the coop in the winter. They go where they want! Hope some come by to vivit your pond. They are so fun to watch.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm starting from scratch this year, so I'll be adding probably just some small feeder goldfish, so maybe I can find some tadpoles that are bigger than the fishies mouths! I've not had frogs in any of my ponds, and I'd love some!

Brenda

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here's a frog I found in a bouquet of iris I cut out by my pond last night. My co-workers and I were stunned to hear a bullfrog croaking coming from the bouquet and when we investigated there he was resting right inside a pink iris.

Thumbnail by kjuddy
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

How sweet and what a surprise that must have been.

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I think this may be a tree frog and they supposedly give out their mating calls from bushes and trees before moving to a pond so I guess he was waiting to breed in my pond but now he has found himself miles away:( He was quite content for the whole afternoon but I couldn't bring him home with me.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is a link for all the frogs of Arkansas. I bet you will find him there.
http://www.herpsofarkansas.com/Frog/HomePage

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sweet!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

He kind of resembles a toad more than a frog, but then again, the photo is a little fuzzy. Anyway, bet it was quite a surprise!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Managed to get a few frog pics between rain showers.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This is a small little fellow.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This one was swimming across the pond and I surprised him.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

He turned around and swam to the opposite side of the pond from where I was standing.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

He are sooooooooo cute! What kind of frog is he?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

All my frogs are bull frogs. :)

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Found this fellow in a potted grapefruit tree this morning. On my deck which is about 6 feet off the ground. Not sure how he managed to get there because it's quite a long way from the stairs and ground.

Thumbnail by melsalz
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Cute!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

He must have had "high hopes!" Very cute!!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

All so cute!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm so glad there are others, like me, that love frogs. I created a water pond in a pot on the patio and this is what I found in it (pic below). He's been there for a couple of weeks now so he may make it a permanent resident. At night he sits on the waterfall in my pond. I guess that's his night on the town.

~Dene :)

Thumbnail by LouisianaDene
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here's another of him..........a cajun frog.

~Dene

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

He is very nice looking! Great shot!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Here he is on the waterfall. Looks like he's loving it.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

It like a froggy jaquzzi! Great shot!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's Bubba. He's the only one that will let me take his picture!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Bubba has started venturing out of the pond - onto the rocks. So far my dumb dogs are oblivious!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.