Show off your frogs 2010

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Holy Cow, I didn't realize they would eat, much less be able to catch a bird. Learn something every day.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My Froggies...

Thumbnail by parrotma32578
Athens, PA

They are cute, Parrot!

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

We built our 900 gal. pond 8 years ago and started out the first year with a pair of tree frogs, gray and green. Noisy little beggars. The second year we began hosting bullfrogs (anywhere from one to three per season) and that pretty much spelled the end of the others. It got quiet, even with the bullfrogs as "big daddy" lives in my neighbors natural pond about a 700' away. It's been educating to observe that their behaviors, like our koi, vary from one creature to the next.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I got woke up one morning by the frogs in the pond after a heavy rain. It was the same time M. Mary had 32 pairs that toad sperm killed a bunch of her large fish. I know she must have been heartbroken. I had 7 pair and moved them immediately after her report.

Yesterday I dumped a large tub full of water out and found it was full of little tadpoles. Don't need to save any here cause we are loaded with them. Pond is close to my bedrm. window so the noise was really loud.

The Cuban tree frogs make a racheting sound. Very different from reg. frogs. I hunt them every chance I get as they are exotic and killed off are little green tree frogs and anything else they can fit into their mouth. After talking with a prof. at UF I confirmed my suspicions that they were harmful to our local frog population. ALSO, their poop will not wash off house even with a pressure washer. My front entry is such a mess. I've tried bleach but to no avail. I hate those buggers. Fl. has so many exotics it's pitiful. The boa constrictor hunt done by professionals in the Everglades got them nowhere. They are still loaded with them. I feel bad for people who live down there. They say they have to watch out for them all the time. Not my cup of tea that's for sure.

Glad you all are enjoying your good guy frogs. I do have lots of toads on my carport but all they do is poop and move on.

Happy ponding to all.
Bonnie D.

Portage, MI(Zone 5b)

I live about 7 miles from any pond or wetlands, but yesterday I saw a green frog in my flower garden! When I scared him, he hopped into my Bergenia patch and I saw him perched on one of the stems. Wish I had a photo! I have a serious infestation of liverwort (which I am removing) and my best guess is he is a tree frog that decided all the green "living mulch" would be good camouflage. Anybody have experience with frogs where there is no water nearby? [I am in southern Michigan.]

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I'm with Bonnie about the exotics that don't belong here...they ruin the whole balance of nature. I purchased 10 leopard frogs from ebay last year, and they held their own for a year, and had some tadpoles in my smaller pond. Rarely see any this year, the cuban tree frogs are back, so I'm sure they were lunch.
Right now I have thousands of 1/4 inch toads all over the back yard. Once they get bigger, I'll start relocating them. They're from the industrial strength toad spawn that killed my fish. Will work HARD to not let that happen again!

Athens, PA

The Cuban Tree Frogs sound like another plague. Are they seasonal? I realize they were brought in and have taken over. I am just wondering if you get any break from them?

No breaks....Last winter we had our coldest (some freezes) winter in years and years. It did kill off some of them (they're tropical frogs from Cuba) but didn't get rid of them completely. All it takes is one amorous night and you have 5,000 tadpoles.

Athens, PA

Too bad the pythons that were released in Florida cannot take care of the CTF

Amen Carolyn! CTF and Iquanas....the pythons can have them both!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We netted a bunch of tadpoles from one of the small ponds and put them in a small aquarium for the grands to watch turn into frogs. They brought them back a couple of weeks ago before we went on vacation for 2 weeks. The tiniest tree frogs I've ever seen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.