Critters Big and Small Volume #3

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL! Wonderful!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Great expressions caught on that bunny.Burd
Nanny, cute chipmunk, I still haven.t seen mine in a shrub or tree. He's always on the ground when I see him.
Elphaba that is a very nice picture of the bull frog.

A spider on my patio screen.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I found these fish, in an old beaver dam that my brother had to demolish, because it would have flooded the road.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A butterfly on a wooded road.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I like how those fish are lining up for you Burn. Nice shots!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

here is some of my critters

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

yes that was kinda funny Elphaba.

Ret_Sgt_Yates, neat critter, never seen anything like that.

A Bumble Bee on a Peony bud.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

he's a baby camel spider . Iraq

can you guess this one ;>)

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Cought him last night in the back yard nasty feller that makes 19 but the wife says no way in well you get the picture LOL

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Another bug.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Ret_Sgt_Yates, I know it`s some kind of Salamander, but haven`t found it`s name yet. Those all looks poisonous!!!

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Burn! I think those fish are Sucker's and your bug is a Mayfly.

Ret_Sgt_Yates nice shots! Nice shot of the Gila Monster! I work with a former Marine who has told me his stories about the Camel Spider's and that you can hear them coming. lol

PERTH, Australia

Nice shots, everyone. Burd, I love that cottontail.

Sgt_Y, that is an amazing looking critter. Can you tell us more about it? Or Burd, what have you heard about it?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Okay staying away form your house Sgt Yate!! YIKES!!!!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Well the rattler got grilled and eat. He’s gone LOL. Yes it’s the Gila Monster he’s just a baby though only about 16 inches long I have had him for about 10 years , the camel spider was a hitch hiker that came back with me from Iraq the lil feller was in my foot locker oopss lol (Hiding) ;>)

I just could not help myself yes you could hear them coming. they would stamp their feet on the sand. The big ones looked like these two.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

OH EMMM GEEEE

That is huge. I"m okay with spiders, but that gives me the willies.

Sandusky, OH

this Yellow Jacket made a good practice subject while waiting for the Hummer's to come to the feeder. I figured their wings move pretty fast and tried to see if I could stop them.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

its facing away but I I stopped the wings.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

My first toad… He let me take a few pictures before hopping in the pond.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Neat Burd! I have not found a YJ nest in the yard this year...YET!

So cute Mrs. Ed!! I think using roundup to kill weeds killed our toads. :(
I didn't see any last year at all.

yikes! Well this is the first toad I have seen at this place.I have tons of garter snakes, but no toads. Well, now I have a toad I guess. I had a frog last year for a day. Just movin' through!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

They are very sensitive to pesticides and herbicides. Even organic ones... I killed a bunch of Leopard Frogs one spring in Missouri with insecticidal soap and ...and..I forget what the other stuff was. 2 Days after I sprayed, I found them dead in the areas that I had sprayed. I felt so bad. Still do...but I did get rid of the chiggers that were in the yard..

oh MAN! I didn't know that. I"m chemical free in the back yard, but sometimes I'll use insecticidal soap on anything that gets bad aphids.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I love spiders but those camel ones are a bit scary even for me.

Burd, very cool shots of the yellow jacket.

Mrs. Ed congrats on the toad. Too bad I can't send you some tadpoles so you'd have more!

Nanny, depending on where and how many weeds you are trying to kill, I may have a better-for-the-environment alternative -- boiling water. Put a tea kettle on and then take it out and pore it on weeds growing in cracks of pavement etc. Kills the weeds without adding chemicals that run off into our streams and rivers.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Good tip!

Gotta' go write that down somewhere...

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

When hubby came home from work last night, he told me to grab my camera, and get a picture of this large Moth, on the pavement near the garage. as you can see, my cat wanted in on the action. I didn't know I had his face in the picture.lol

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

On the door to the garage.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Also took this photo of this moth. Didn't find it name yet.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Your first one is a Luna Moth. VERY COOL !!

Looking to see if I can find an ID for the second one...but I doubt it!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010 6:54 PM

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I read the Luna Moth is seldom seen. Their life span as a moth is only a week, they don't eat, and their main interest is reproducing during that week . I felt very privilege to have seen it in person.
Thanks for looking for the ID on the other one. There is a lot of pictures of white moth, but didn't find one with the wings open with those markings. Hope between the two of us, we'll find it.Or maybe someone knowledgeable will, tell us.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shot of your toad Mrs_Ed! Burn that is a cool looking moth glad you got a picture! Thanks for sharing that!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bugid/all/
Ask what kind it is over here on the bug ID forum ^_^

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I found the name of my white/greenish moth, It's Pale Beauty,Campaea Perlata.

And this one is Plume Moth, Pterophoridae.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Great Job!! I like to be ablt to ID things.

Saw my first fawn of the season yesterday...I was so excited!! I had told a neighbor the day before we should be seeing some anytime now.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Momma is so beautiful....took my breath away!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Dad wouldn't look towards the camera. He was watching mom & babe. He is a young buck and seems just a little assertive and agressive. I have had 3 run ins close to him and he makes me nervous, so I am starting to keep a little distance between us!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

AWE!!! So cute. Momma is very beautiful, and you are wise to give them space. When I was a kid, I was feeding some deer potato chips. I ran out and picked up a handful of grass. That deer kicked me and I went flying through the air and landed on my butt. They are a whole lot more powerful than the Bambi image we have in our heads.

Love the moths Burn.

Same old, same old from me.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Cool shot Elphaba!!

The buck that used to have this area pretty much stayed unseen. A sighting or two in the spring and fall..and maybe during rut but that was it. This young guy is always with his ladies and he always stomps and snorts at me. I am going to heed his hormones and stay alert from now on and pay extra attention at night when I walk.

That little one was just so sweet!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Oh that fawn is so adorable, great shots!!!

Elphaba, that is not same old , for me. Love seeing different animals, especially those we don't see around here, and I'm sure others do to.

My frog has been sitting by the pond sunning himself. I thought he had left.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Hi guys, we're already at a 158 posts. Time for a new one. This new thread is begging to be fill, so come on over to this link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1108621/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.