Critters Big and Small Volume #3

Sandusky, OH

Nice shot Burn! I had a Mud-Puppy that escaped once found it 2 month's later alive..lol
More critter's...Cottontail

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

another Garter Snake shot...been looking for the Blue Racer and Fox snake's...nothing yet

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

liked how this Chipmonk rested his buns...look's like he's in some deep thought..lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Here is Chip munching away--check the puffed out cheeks!

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

Here is Dale, sneaking up on Chip! They do not get along at all!

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

A young buck in the woods yesterday. It was very dark so I had to really lighten up the photo.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Two of the 3 does he was with....

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Burd, like seeing your cottontail, I noticed he's changing in his summer color. Wonder, what the chipmunk, was thinking about. :)

Grannygrunt, nice to me Chip and Dale, sorry to hear they don't get along.

Nanny, glad you get to see the deers so close to home, nice capture.

I had a bunch of these moth around my deck lights, last night.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A Bumble Bee, looking for food.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

There are fantastic pictures here. I am enjoying all of them.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots GrannyGrunt, Nanny and Burn! I think these are Water Snakes..not sure which though...Water Moccasin's are not supposed to be up this far north.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Looks like the Northern Watersnake/Common Watersnake... http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/species_a_to_z/SpeciesGuideIndex/commonwatersnake/tabid/6712/Default.aspx

Sandusky, OH

Thanks Nanny! Common Water Snake for sure.

Funny...I hate snakes but I am not bad at IDing them...LOL!!!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Nanny, is this a "Know thine enemy" kind of thing? LOL!

Yeah....that must be it!! LOL

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I feel the same way...

Sandusky, OH

wolf spider in the basement made an appearance...looked a lot bigger..lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

eeek. hope you moved that guy out to a log or something

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

That darn spider would have given me a heart attack on the spot. Great pic's of all the critters.
Christine

I am becoming quite fascinated with spiders...

This message was edited May 11, 2010 10:27 AM

PERTH, Australia

Hey Nanny. I was reading yesterday of a "chicken eating spider" from South America. It is a newly discovered species with the most amazing co-operative hunting habits. The particular female these scientists were observing had a "pet" frog in its burrow. This spider is not the largest spider, but including its legs, would easily cover a human face and is 25cm across. It was discovered when a South American farmer noticed one of his poor chickens "crawling" across the yard. It was actually being pulled along by this big gal. Now, what's that about you becoming fascinated with spiders?

Spiders don't bother me...except the ones that jump. I do have a real dislike for things that can hop/jump! LOL

Hate to say it but I would love to see a spider dragging off a chicken.....

Sandusky, OH

Quote from nanny_56 :
Hate to say it but I would love to see a spider dragging off a chicken.....

ROFL...yeah that would be kool...lol

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Now that would be something to see, Margaret. Poor chicken though. LOL Nanny, I can just see you jump out of your wits , facing one of those jumping spider.
Burd Iove the snake. I would observe them from a distant though.

It's so wild..... I have to cage it up. ;)

Thumbnail by burn_2007

over at the neighbors yesterday!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

and more!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

such a sweet face....

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Love the deers and that cute bunny!!!

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots of the critters Burn and Nanny!!

Another Common Water Snake shot.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

This is such a cool thread that I didn't know existed!

Burd, that frog up there, I think it's a leopard frog. Very cool.

I've been trying all morning to ID this lizard. It is not an anole because of the ridge on its head and back. There were two males fighting each other, so must be a common kind of lizard although I haven't seen it before. It's driving me nuts! Any ideas? Know of a good ID site?

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Neat snake Burd!

Have no idea who your green guy is Elphaba, but he sure cool looking!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

You know what?! It is an anole! I finally found a site that said that mature males can have a ridge on the back. I've never seen it before. I've seen hundreds of anoles, lots of males, lots of males fighting each other and I've never seen this, and both of them had a ridge like that.

The other cool thing this site said was that when two males fight the victor turns green and the vanquished turns brown. The other lizard had an injured jaw. They lock jaws when they fight and when he was leaving, he turned brown. Just amazing. Here's a pic of the injured one. Sun had disappeared, so kind of dark.

Oh and Burd, forgot to tell you how cool that swimming snake is.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Well learned somthingnew today!

Is that a caterpiller off to the left of the anole??

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Elphaba, Neat anole, do they have that ridge because it's mating season?
Burd , you surely see a lot of snakes out there.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Elphaba! Burn, I had shots of 3 Red-winged Blackbird's attacking a Fox Snake that was wrapped around their nest but it was very thick brush and it would have been hard to see anything..but it was neat none the less...the bird's were hammering the snake with their bills and (I mean hard hits) the snake tried to bite one and hissed..then gave up and dropped to the ground.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow Burd, that sounds amazing!

Burn, I didn't see anything that said that they just get a ridge during mating season. There were lots of other big male anoles looking for women who did not have ridges. Could be an age thing and maybe most anoles don't live long enough. Still more to learn!

Nanny, I don't see a caterpillar, but your eyes are probably better than mine. I did take this photo of a caterpillar.

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Follow the branch he is on up. There on the little branch coming down. It is on the backside of the little branch ...in front of the tall sword like foliage.

OR I am psychic! LOL

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Nanny, I think that might be just a knobby twig.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I think your psychic!

I was a little psychic on this outing with this alligator. I came up to a spot on the trail that's only a foot or so away from the water, but there's lots of vegetation, so you can't really see directly into the water. Still, I knew that something was there and I knew it was something big. I looked and looked but couldn't see it. When I started to walk away this big alligator rolled into the water. I was nearly standing on top of him and I couldn't see him, but my spidy senses were tingling!

Thumbnail by Elphaba

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.