Do you have a picture of the flowers?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

they are very small and my camera isn't too good at closeups but I'll try

nope my camera won't take it...

I may just come over for a visit and bring it with me lol

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

The trifoliate leaves lead me to suspect it is a legume (pea family), possibly White Sweet Clover (Melilotus albus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/35626/ ) or something similar.

Jeremy

Darla you are welcome. Just call a head to make sure we are here. With all the appointments I am not always here.

Sandy

I made a nice find on my daily dog walk yesterday. Someone had put a big ole Philodendron in the trash curbside. Nice old plant with about 3ft of trunk. I put in in the ground hopefully it will make it.......

Thumbnail by GrubWorm1

I painted my old burglar bars I took off the house black and zip tied them to my back fence as a trellis. Its a little ghetto, but once I get a bunch of vines on it should look nice. Any suggestions on blooming vines? I planted a tiny Brazilian Flame vine that has never flowered for me, will see what it does...

Thumbnail by GrubWorm1

Passionflower vines-of course they may take over the world. Sky vine, Red honeysuckle vine.

Darla Is this the flower you have?

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

I like your new use of the old burglar bars, grub_worm! I had a heavy steel mesh on the windows in the rear of the house for security when I bought the house. I've since taken them off. I plan to use one as a gate between the front yard and rear of the house/art studio. The other two will probably end up being some sort of trellis.

Amongst the many choices for vines, I have a preference for Black-eyed Susan Vines (Thunbergia alata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=Thunbergia&searcher[species]=alata&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search There are so many interesting pastel colors that could be combined in the same area. So far, I only have the pale yellow, but bought seeds for the white-flowering one (not yet planted).

Native Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) is another favorite. It attracts hummingbirds and retains its leaves in winter. It will really take over quickly though. And Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is great for the flowers and the aroma. The variegated type will remain compact from my experience in growing both the standard green and variegated ones. My standard green one has completely overtaken a 7 ft high arbor while the variegated one is still only about 5 ft high, even though they were planted at the same time about 6 years ago. Not all passion vines are invasive. The red-flowering grape-leaf Passiflora vitifolia doesn't seem to spread at all. I've had mine for about 5 years and I wish it WOULD send out some runners, but it remains only in the original spot with a few main trunks. I'm hoping it survived the severe freezes. It never was bothered much by the usual winters.

Jeremy

Sandy that looks like the flower what is it lol

Darla

I believe it is called Sweet white clover . I also have the yellow form. I do not know where it came from but I have it growing in a lot of my pots. you may have gotten it from me. LOL

Sandy

Sandy confirms my I.D. of April 8 (above) for Sweet White Clover. I knew it looked very familiar but I waded through several possibilities in my head before it finally occurred to me what it might be.

Jeremy

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.ustream.tv/theowlbox

I dont know if any of you ever watch these live bird streams. These owls are pretty cool, I watched eagles last year. Thing is tho, these owls are brutal hunters, I was sitting there this morning coo-ing over the babies and nest thing I know one is pulling an opossum apart by the tail. Aparently they had also had four rabbits. wowza, that was a jolt of reality.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks!

For those that may want some, there are Pawpaw plants (Asimina triloba http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37/ ) growing along the northside of Route 9A. I saw them in several places when Christina and I went over the Dame's Point Bridge a few hours ago for some errands (Christina was just hired to go to work at the Quizno's on the corner of a strip mall between Regency Mall and Lowe's - Hurrah! I've been scraping together loose change and returning unused items to Lowe's for the past few weeks to try to keep gas in the car and food on the table after she lost her previous job a few weeks ago). Margaran (Maggie) asked me last season if I knew where to get PawPaw plants, so I will send her a D-mail to let her know I spotted some that are now in flower. There is a private field with about 10 PawPaw plants on it, visible on the northside of 9A, but I don't know how to get around to the access road where the owner's house would be. I will look at MapQuest to see if I can figure it out the route and ask the owner if we can collect some fruit or plants. Zebra Swallowtail butterflies lay their eggs only on Pawpaw plants, from the info I just found on-line, so I'm sure Maggie was interested in them for her butterfly gardens. Pawpaws have large inverted creamy-white flowers that hang in clusters like bells.

Jeremy

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Good for Christina, Jeremy! I can certainly understand the relief!

hey Jeremy can I get another cutting of the Cherokee rose? mine didn't make it thru the winter. I think I saw some hanging in a tree coming home from Ponta Vedra last week they were mixed in with some wisteria they were so pretty hanging there

Darla

Sure, Darla. It will probably be best to wait until my Cherokee Rose is done with its blooming cycle (which is already winding down). I need to prune it back in order to get my pathway clear again. I will bring along some Cherokee Rose cuttings, probably already potted up, for the May 8 get-together if you are coming to that, or you can drop by anytime to get the cuttings.

Here's some info that just came from the Extension Office about a Rose Society seminar this Saturday. I will be at the Jacksonville Landing from 10 AM - 4 PM with my Classy Groundcovers booth, so I won't be attending the seminar. Everyone feel free to come keep me company at The Landing, if you can bear to be downtown on a Saturday and not out in your garden! LOL

Jeremy

Quoting:
Bill Franklin with the Jacksonville Rose Society has invited any and all who would like to attend their free seminar this Sat., April 17th, 10:30 am, at the Jacksonville Garden Club, on Riverside. Roses will be for sale, including ‘Rosafortuniana’.

Hey Mrs Darla ... How did the surgery go? I haven't had a chance to dig up that plant for you ...we are finding we have a lot of it ... lol ...

Ok all ... Events ... heehheheh

Free one Tommorow @ Kingsley Plantation ... Butterflies!!!! The info is in the picture below ... FREE - @ 2pm
Stu & I will be attending ... especially since kingsley plantation isn;t that big.

April 24th - The 9th annual Butterfly Festival !! http://www.treehill.org/butterfly-festival
$4.00 per adult & $2.00 for children
-to let everyone know they are taking donations for native florida butterfly plants. When Stu & I were at tree hill ... they need the plants bad. Great place though. Just to let everyone know ... no pets aloud ... they have a mini petting zoo. And roaming chickens also nature trails. Great little museum. Very nice people. Stu & I will try to attend this one ...

I wish I would've looked in here yesterday about the roses .... IT seems everyone has roses on sale this weekend.... Jones & Hall has very nice named roses for 9.99 ... Lowe's also has roses on sale a lot are $5.00 & $9.99 on sale. At least the Regency Branch does =D

HEy GardenGlory ... a friend of Stu's (my hubby) just sent him a link to bald eagle couple ane her babies ... I'll have to get the link ... thank you for the link on the owls.

Jeremy, I would love a pawpaw plant - can ya get me 2 of them ?? I'm not able at this time to go dig up anything ... ok I'm not aloud to right now ... lol ... long story ... any how ... If ya can I'd love 2 of them. Regency also has Full grown not yet flowering digitalis camelot plants for 2.75 also has fushias for 1.75 on the clearence rack.. What road is the exit by ??? I can help with that ... I know that area over the dame;s point ...
Jeremy can I get a cutting or 2 also of the Cherokee rose? I have one that has lived from the get together from linda's last summer. I'd like to have a companion for it ... I'll even bring you the blue cut that the other cutting was in. =D

HAve a great weekend all ... hope to see you all tommorow at kingsley plantation butterfly exhibit.

Brandy

oh Duh ... the flyer picture thingy! lol

Thumbnail by bsgardens

HI Brandy the surgery went well thanks

I have gnats in the house I think they came in with the plants over winter. How can I get rid of them? most plants are back outside but I have some African violets do they live in the dirt?

Darla

yes, don't know how to get rid of them

having problems with DG print size keeps jumping up.

Sandy

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I have wild pawpaws growing here. Don't know what to do with the fruit tho, so I don't do anything.

GG, those big fat honking 4 o'clock tubers you gave me just broke ground yesterday. I am really looking forward to seeing them grow and flower.

I am on the late side of spring out here, so am just now seeing the ammies blooming and many other things. My fringe bush is showing, the wild phloxes are really starting to pop now, gingers are breaking through, and even have a mint plant coming back.

Oh, BTW, that peppercorn vine that is a zone 10? I told you it froze and I thought it was a goner. Some of the runners in the ground are back and the main plant in the pot is coming back. I was very pleased to see that yesterday.

My patchouli did not come back, but I will pick some up at Crones Blueberry Fest when over at 4Paws for the roundup on 5/15.

Molly

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow..my 4 o clocks just did the same sometime in the last couple of days, amazing how they 'just know' its time. All at the same time. . I smile ( for some strange reason) just to think about them. They were biggest Ive ever had, thats for sure.

Picked up a couple things at the native plant sale last night. So mad at myself for not picking up a few things to send down to the round up.

My daylilies are scaping like mad. Im hoping Molly, or anyone, will come out to the Salters and/or Petits this May during peak bloom. 4paws is really close to the Petits.

Hope all went well with Jeremy dowtown today. He was right, the yard was a better place to be ;-)

http://www.ustream.tv/theowlbox

Still a nut for these owls...they are really growing. If you can catch them awake, you see some interesting stuffr..IMCO

This message was edited Apr 17, 2010 8:49 PM

AWWW GG, I missed the Native Plant sale. I usually get e-mails from them telling me of the sale dates, but didn't get one this spring.

Oh well, I suppose I will have to be happy with all the self-sown seeds from the plants of March 2009.............

Molly

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

always late for everything...fooey...

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, did you two make the UF plant sale??? The reason I went to the native plant thing Friday night was to make it to the UF sale saturday morning. Truth be told. After the native plant sale and the spring festival, I layed right in bed and let others have those plants. That was all well and good till late afternoon when I went and saw my BIL's haul. O well. Next year.

Darla ... get those hanging fly / gnat ribbon ... you can get them at the family dollar store for like $1.00 to 2.00 Thats' what I use in the back room I have 2 hanging up with my plants and one in the kitchen by the compost bucket. I think they come 6 to 9 to a pack but you can probably get them at walmart & lowes ... I even have them hanging in the GH. Just change them out at first every 2 to 3 weeks or when it gets full ... they really work ... I actually need to get some more of them myself ... lol .... They are super sticky ... just hang them where you wont' get yourself stuck to them ... And where the cats won't use them as toys ... cats learn quick with them though ... lol ...

My 4'o' clocks are poping up also ... Stu loves them. I love the fragrance of them & the butterflies they attract ... The hummingbirds seem to love them too ... =D

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Pam, you didn't have to mention the Native plant sale! LOL That is one of the things I miss not living in Gainesville anymore. However, we do have a really nice native nursery that ends up with most of my monthly check than the grocery store does. Guess you can see where my priorities are. You will have to come visit and I will take you to the nursery. It isn't that long of a drive--bring Tracey also.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL...well Im clearly off what should be my priorities as well. I havent even posted on the sq thread...Im so far behind on blocks...easy blocks . Thing is. well...lots of things, but mostly its spring and you know, do it now or it gets to hot and to many bugs.

Is that the native nursery in Tallahassee?

It sure is Sandy. When you coming?

Oh how I understand about it being spring and priorities!!! I am behind in my blocks also Pam, but having trying to work on them at night--usually to tired after working in the yard. I helped Abbigail put in her butterfly garden with the plants she got at the festival and that just about did me in. LOL I was thinking small--NOT! Have been working in the hosta bed and still in shock I can actually grow them here. Oh the plants I lost trying to grow them in Gainesville.

No telling. Have to find out what they are going to do about this ankle. I have been in a cast for almost 4 weeks and it is no better. It swelled up so much after the Festival down there in Gainesville that the flesh split.. I way hoping in May but I don't think it will happen now.

sandy

Abbisgran,

I live out in unincorporated Bronson, sw of Gainesville and I consider my place to be on the coldest side of 8b. In town the azaleas have been blooming for a month and mine are just getting there. Same for my amaryllis'es. Seems like most everything I have here is a month behind everyone else in growing.

Hey Pam, I have my first 2 DL buds showing. Don't know who they are since I haven't had tags in ages. But any flower is a beautiful flower.

Here's my first pond flower. And I was REALLY pleased the cannas came back after this horrid winter.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Molly ,the same here with my amaryllis. My azaleas were just starting to bloom when I returned home from the festival so that makes me on the slow side also. My fringe tree is just now showing the fringe and every one else have plenty on their trees. Oh well, at least it is making the fringe so I will not complain there either. It has taken me a while to adjust back to shade as my property in Gainesville with in the old Northwood section and I had started with a shady lot; lost trees and had to deal with sun. Now I am back to shade again. Always a learning process.

Still in need of some work but it is a slow process. Being trying to get rid of the nandina that has taken over every where. I guess the former owners loved it but I don't.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2010 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by abbisgranma

Nandina seem to be landscapers favorites. I've painted homes where it has become impossible to get around it at the foundations of homes.

I have 2 here which I bought in a time of ignorance, however, they are smaller now than they were 5 years ago when I bought them, puny, to be exact. They do not get watered by me and have not spread at all. I expect one day they will just die from boredom.

I had a plan with cleaning the pool, so instead, I shall go out and put some plants in the ground.

BBL

Molly

Ok everyone ... Native plant - Butterfly plant SALE @ the Tree Hill Butterfly Festival on April 24th between 10am to 5pm ... !!
April is Florida Butterfly & Butterfly Gardening Month. Tree Hill Nature Center mascot, Bella Butterfly, invites you to celebrate Tree Hill style Saturday, April 24, 2010 at the nature center’s 9th Annual Butterfly Festival.

The festival features a live butterfly exhibit, games and activities for children, live entertainment, special lectures, food and much more. Guests are encouraged to roam the trails, learn more about butterfly gardening and the environment from local experts, and shop at the Monarch Mall, where vendors showcase everything from native plants to yard art and jewelry.

The event runs from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and culminates with nature’s fireworks – a live native butterfly release. Thousands of butterflies cover the sky and this sight is guaranteed to delight all who attend.

This year’s event commemorates Tree Hill’s 39th anniversary as Jacksonville’s Nature Center and is the premier butterfly festival of Northeast Florida. Annually, thousands of community members and visitors flock to this unique family-oriented outdoor celebration. The festival focuses upon edu-tainment – education that is entertaining and enlightening to children and adults

http://www.treehill.org/butterfly-festival

Here you can get $1.00 off coupon for admission to the Festival... http://www.treehill.org/butterfly-festival-coupon

I'm about to over load you all with all the sales going on again ... I've been collecting information... heehehehe ... =D

Brandy

hey Brandy when you going to be there? I'll try and be there too

Darla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.