Potatoes Under Straw/Leaves #3

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We came from here, thread #2: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067896/
Thread #1: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/937306/

The other thread was getting soooooooooo long. Let's continue asking questions and discussing how our taters are doing here.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

So far, I only have them in buckets and grow bags. The ones in buckets are big enough to start adding straw. Yeah!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

How tall do I let my sprouts grow before covering them with leaves?

Thumbnail by stephanietx
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Steph,
I read on the Ronniger's instructions to start hilling at 6"-8". You might have a wee bit more to go.

Thanks for starting the new thread! I didn't wanna touch it, but it was VERY necessary!

Don't know if I posted an update lately, but all my sprouts are to the tops of the tubs and the SmartPots. My next moves are to, 1) completely fill the containers with potting mix, 2) create a wire cage around the tubs with a bale of 2x4 sq. wire, 3) construct a similar vertical cage around the grow bags with anything that'll hold the leaves in on top of the SmartPot, 4) continue filling in all containers with leaves until the vines start dying back.

I'm hoping to have one tall hill 'o spuds!

My rationale with filling the containers with the potting mix below is all those horizontal roots I'm seeing down there. I might get more spuds down below if I fill in with the soil, as well as above in the hill of leaves as long as the vine keeps growing. Don't know if this'll work, but it's worth an experiment!

Linda

P.S. The pic shows the vine height when the bag was rolled down halfway! It is well over the top now...

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm really disappointed with my potatoes due to cold last weekend. I was unable to cover the two nights of the freeze and as a result about 50% of the leaves (or a little more) were frost-killed). I know they'll still grow, but they were doing so well!

: (

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry to hear that, dreaves. What a bummer! They'll bounce back, though.

What is hilling? What do I need to do? Maybe I should read the Ronninger's catalog where it has the instructions, huh?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Steph - why don't you read the Ronniger's catalog? ROTFLOL

I refer to it often because I have CRS and forget what I read about this or that - lol.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Linda it looks like your taters are on steroids, I am growing mine in the same bag but they still have a way to go before I start unrolling the bag.

Drevaes I am very sorry for your potato loss, this weather is definetely not helping any of us. Are you expecting more crazy weather or are you guys better now.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Kelly what is Ronniger's catalog?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

In the first half of the Ronninger's catalog (they sell potatoes), they have a growing guide. You can download it online as well from their site.

Scroll down under the form for the online version of the catalog. http://www.ronnigers.com/id8.html

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Carmen - it's a great place to order taters and onions and such. Their catalog is a wealth of information. You can also view it online until you get a copy in the mail.

http://www.ronnigers.com/

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

lol -we posted at the same time...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That's because I'm not off reading the catalog yet! LOL

Steph - why don't you read the Ronniger's catalog? ROTFLOL

^^_^^

Thanks, Carminator1! They're getting some nice rainwater right now. Luckily, it's not raining too hard to wash away my HILLS (that was for Steph...)

^^_^^ for Steph!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Linda! It's a good think I like ya!

"think I like ya?"

We DO think alike yah, Steph!

^^_^^_^^ (Linda & Steph thinking alike!)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

think=thing LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Been awhile since I visited here! I'll be buying my seed soon and stowing it in the garage to sprout. I usually plant about Good Friday here. I hope to double my containers or better this year. I had good results last year with just 3 containers. My barrels are relatively inexpensive and available, I pay $10 for one and get 2 containers, with a little work they're ready.. I'm using a Pro-Mix B and straw mixture, some of which I'll reuse this year. I may want to try and steam some of it next year. Last year our free ranging hens kept every bug out of the garden, as well as many of the weed sprouts. Ric

This message was edited Mar 25, 2010 4:14 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Didn't they also scratch up your veggies? I wouldn't dare let my chickens in the garden when I have something growing there. But do they eat Colorado potato beetles? I'm going to try growing potatoes in a barrel this year for the first time; the only other time I grew them, I had them in my garden and the potato beetles moved in and attacked everything. So I was planning on locating the barrel far away from my other vegetables.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Boy I am so Jealous, I would love some chickens but hopefuly after this summer my DH will build me that chicken coop, I would imagine the chickens do eat all kinds of bugs, so they are good for the garden, my question is I have 2 old dogs so I am wondering if I can have the chickens running around the yard while my dogs are out. I've been reading about the silkie Bamtams they look really cool.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I want to start by saying I love when we have chickens, besides the eggs are so wonderful, they are quite entertaining to watch while they make the rounds for bugs, etc. However, if you use weedblocker cloth, newspaper or cardboard in your flower beds or gardens, they will tear it to shreds and make a terrible looking mess. I finally pulled all of mine up and just use straight organic mulch.

Our dog is a hunting breed which was specifically bred for duck retreiving. Our chickens were kept confined for the first 2 weeks and we kept enforcing that they were "babies" and made sure he wasn't agressive toward them. Once they were released during the day, he never bothered them. Some dogs can be trained to leave them alone, but there are some that can't. It all depends on well the dogs mind.

HollyAnnS,
How high did you end up filling your barrel with your ProMix and Straw? As high as the vines grew?

Do you think you get more potatoes because there's more soil in the barrel for the roots to run through and develop more potatoes?

Thanks!

Msrobin, I had my dog at a friend's who keeps chickens loose in her barn and outside. We were cutting up lamb and deer in that area; it was a lengthy procedure, and my dog went after her chickens. The next morning before we went back there I took her into the chicken yard on a leash, held her, and told her, "Don't chase the chickens!" Once or twice she moved toward them and I repeated my warning. When we went back to my friends', all I had to do was say, "Don't chase the chickens" and she was fine with them. That was very satisfying because my friend doesn't like her; she breeds Rhodesian Ridgebacks and she thinks Labradoodles are silly. Anyway, training them is definitely possible.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Didn't you just a post a pic recently of your dog? I had not seen one before and thought the dog was adorable!

Well, she's definitely trainable, if you got through to her so quickly. When we do have chickens roaming around, Samson actually plays with them once in awhile. He likes to sneak up behind one and bark, so he can watch it fly. OTOH, there were a couple of chickens that would do the same to him and squawk. He even got pretty good at helping DH round them up at night to head back to the coop.

Yes, I did post one. A little black curly-top! She's the first dog we've ever had who really seemed to want to please, and was bright enough to know how to do it, although she is resisting the reminders to stay on the garden path and out of the beds this year.

My dog used to help me round the chickens up when one got out, but I decided that if I wanted her to leave them alone I'd better stop using her that way. I think the two behaviors aren't very compatible!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry if I confused everyone, this is Ric, Holly's SO. I try to sign all my post to let everyone know when it's me. As my plants grow I keep adding my straw and Pro mix as the plants grow, usually at least till after they blossom, and yes my barrels get quite full. I get potatoes up through the whole barrel with smaller new potatoes up toward the top. My GF always said after the plants bloom they put all their growth into the taters rather than the tops. I'm going to try feeding mine a little more this year, but will stick to green feeds like feed grade black strap molasses and comfrey tea.
The chickens eat everything that moves and the biggest problem is they scratch all the mulch off of some beds. LOL They don't bother the plants much, but we have to get the plants established before turning them loose. I can imagine them following along and eating the peas or beans as fast as you plant them. We also have to keep them out of the tomatoes after they ripen or pick the ripe ones before we let'em out. They return to their coop every night to be shut in for their protection, and so far they return to lay their eggs. Ric

Thanks, Ric! That's what I needed to know.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Well I guess I don't have to be Jealous anymore my DH surprised me today with 4 chickens. Here's a picture.

By the way thank you about the info about Ronigers I'll have to check them out.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2010 7:36 PM

Thumbnail by carminator1
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

What cute little peeps you have there Carmen!

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you Kelly, yes they are very cute, my kids are thrilled as well.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Adorable! I want some now!

What kind are they? I just ordered some Speckled Sussex!

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

greenhouse_gal at first I thought they were Sussex as well but they are actually Gold Sex Links, they are supposed to be good layers as well.

I think they are good layers. I just wanted something different. We order a different breed every year so we can keep track of how old our chickens are, and we usually butcher the hens out at around four years of age for stewers because they stop laying very well. Last year we ordered forty chickens - 25 straight run Cuckoo Marans and 15 Cherry Egger pullets, but then we got the visit from the mink this winter, which really cut our flock down drastically. I still only ordered 25 straight run for the spring, though. Forty kind of taxes our resources!

Are we gonna be eating chicken with our potatoes?

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

I noticed after I typed all that that I was NOT on the poultry forum, as it was beginning to seem! Sorry for hijacking the potato thread!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yum! Fried chicken and mashed potatoes!! Who's bringing the gravy and the cole slaw?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Sorry Linda it is my fault, I should have posted in the poultry section instead of the potatoes but I was so excited I just wanted to share with you all.

By the way question about potatoes, I think I have to cover mine and quick they are getting pretty tall but I am wondering, can I use, oak leaves to cover my potatoes or should I use something else. The reason why I am asking is because I can probably get the leaves for free, there is a park close to my house that had tons of leaves on the growund and I thought maybe or raking some to use it.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oak leaves are supposed to be the best for potatoes.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2010 7:22 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.