March 2010 - Part 3

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

More cars......

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

40s Pontiac and a newer Buick? In a way the rust is artistic. I though auto graveyards were a rural Kentucky thing! Yes, everyone in the state is mourning the loss last night, but the truth is that they did not play well enough to win. I lived in Lexington 35+ years before finding paradise in the country.

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello Fellow Gardeners!

The big news on the coast of Maine today is that sometime Friday night/ Saturday morning the robins arrived in large numbers. Went into Ellsworth yesterday to finish errands (the things I forgot to do and groceries I forgot to get on Wednesday) and there were robing in groups of 20 to 30 or so looking over peoples lawns for something to eat. Unfortunately the "peepers" remain under ice.

Sunfarm - I didn't realize it was still that cold in Kentucky. Guess no hummingbirds there yet. I am anxious for their arrival, but they usually don't get here until the third week of May.

Mau - I read the article on the front page of DG this a.m. about the abbreviations used - that made me chuckle and the thoughts on all the way "fix" is used made me think too. It must be hard for people learning English as a second language. I wonder if other languages do the same.

BP - are you "pulling my leg" about hearing the worms eat? Our secondary paved roads are still "posted" prohibiting heavily loaded vehicles like oil delivery trucks.

Kwanjin - we have wind chills here still - no open air riding here until it warms up.

pdated: 10:35 AM EDT on March 28, 2010

36 °F
Clear
Windchill: 25 °F
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 19 °F
Wind: 18 mph from the SE

Wind Gust: 23 mph

It might be warm enough to work outside after lunch!

Thumbnail by ledgegardener
Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

We have junk cars here to, known as parts cars. I once did a visit to a home and when getting directions was told," Go 2 miles on the dirt track through the blueberry field and we are the trailer with the old car in the front yard. We store firewood in it. " ;)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sure, Ky loses, now they will want Tubby Smith Back. You can't have him!!

Price of iron would go down if all the old cars were recycled. Lots around here too.

Sunshine today. Starting to warm up. In the 70's by mid week.
This is only the 3rd March we have had with no snow. The other 2 were 1853 & 1870 something.
Will be a very early spring here. Tulips in open areas are already 6" tall. Grass is greening up.

Going to another home & garden show this afternoon to snoop around a little.
Never know what might be there.

We will be building a sun room for a neighbor this summer. I put a high labor price on it & he was fine with that. I think we have been working to cheap!

Bernie

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi guys! Thanks for the American English lesson! In fact, "talking" to you everyday is a lesson to me and I'm so grateful for this!
Kelli, the Romanians are offended by the confusion created by presenting Vlad Dracul as being the character Dracula , and not by the Dracula myth itself. His name actually inspired the character's name to Bram Stoker.
Vlad Dracul's son, Vlad Tepes(the Impaler) was the one who was a hero for the Romanian people , back in the 15th century, as you said you knew. He used to punish the wealthy people who were stealing from the poor . The poor peasants had no land of their own and even if they had, some of the wealthy people would stole their land and make them work for them like slaves, only for some products of the land they were working on. Vlad Tepes punished them through a very cruel method, by running a huge stake through their body. The romanian word for stake is "teapa", thus the name of "Tepes" - the one who impaled the stakes, the Impaler.
About the name Vlad Dracul..."Drac" is the Romanian word for the evil, but this time they were using it for illustrating a rank which was given to Vlad when he was admitted into the Order of the Dragons - a society of the Serbian nobles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_II_Dracul

Vlad Tepes was called by his people "Draculea" meaning the Dracul's son . I can see the confusion is also made by our people in these explanation by writing the name Dracula next to Vlad Tepes' name...although they are also explaining the confusion in the text nearby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_III_the_Impaler

So you see that neither Vlad Tepes, nor his father, Vlad Dracul were Dracula. Romanians are very religious people and even the thought that such a monster might have been living in our country is scary.
But for me personally, this myth is cool and might bring some money for us, if we had someone so smart to take advantage of it. It was a minister of tourism who wanted to make a Dracula Land, something like an entertainement park, but the project was too expensive and was abandoned.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2010 4:51 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

EB and Sunfarm: Quick! call the guys on American Pickers! They would love to look over those old cars! See there--y'all don't have to be a southerner to be a "redneck"! LOL
"You might be a redneck if you have an old car without wheels sitting up on concrete blocks in your front yard." You can google 'you might be a redneck if' and come up with all sorts of jokes (some are a bit risque).

Ledge: Congrats on the arrival of the robins! I've never heard of "hearing the worms eat" but we do use the term "listening to the grass grow" (used when one is extremely bored--or extremely relaxed like Celia's Monty). I love the directions you received about the car with the firewood stored in it! LOL
Bernie: enjoy the home and garden show. Congrats on getting the sun room job!
Adina: that is a very interesting history lesson about the two Vlads!

Still overcast here--don't know if the DGS and Friday and I will be going to the dog park after all. We might have to be content with listening to the grass grow!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Aawww Mau, I love to see kids put up kites. When we were kids we flew them in our pasture across the road. Once Dad had about a mile of string and let the kite go way high! He tied it to the fence since the wind was so strong and left it up all day. When DD was little we still went down there to put up the kite. We have wires and trees here too :o(

How about up-side-down. Look up, as in the dictionary, or skyward. Very confusing. I really don't know how people learn our language so well!

Early, join me and Pepper in the bad roads. We have a lot of broken highways too. Love the cars and love taking pictures of abandoned places! It looks like a 41 Chevy and a 55 Buick. (DH told me, I don't know cars :o)

Sunfarm, old cars are everywhere. It depends on whether you can get close to them or not. I make them sound like a wild animal, LOL

Ledge, I'd like to see a bunch of robins land at the same time! Our's trickle in, a few at a time. I saw one get a nice 4'' dewworm and eat the whole thing. If it had hatchlings it would have cut the worm into pieces. Nice tomato starts!

No joke, you can hear the worms pull the leaves and fall debris toward their holes in the spring. As they eat, they just keep pulling it closer. Get a yardful of them and it sounds like a soft rain. Pretty cool! Love the directions to their place! That's the world I love. Simple!

Country, it's a wonder more people aren't hauling iron to the scrap yards while the prices are decent. The hood ornament is worth the money! Remember, don't crush them restore them. I'm glad you are able to charge what you are worth.

Adina, I'm glad Kelly asked the question. People find it easier to believe an easy explanation and pretty soon it becomes truth, much like worthless gossip. That is interesting that he was more like Robin Hood. I'm not keen on any painful death myself and can't watch TV shows when it happens. I can imagine the Entertainment Park! It would have been fun!

Mau, here we listen to the corn grow. Not exactly a myth. I think it was the field corn, before things went hybrid.

The wind is really gusting off and on. I love listening to it, from inside the house :o)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cloudy and wet. Temps probably in the 50s. It rained all day and night yesterday so we are even more saturated than before. But it looks like we may have a week to dry off.

Mavericks lost last night. They play again tonight and hopefully they will win. I was there last night and will be there again tonight. lol.

Our goalie, Charlie Effinger. He moves fast.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That first car is a Pontiac. Check out that hood ornament. It's amazing it's still there. That one is worth mega bucks.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, do you think the hood ornament is a Nash flying woman?

1941 Chevy. I flipped the picture for comparison.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

Waaaa! I'm hopelessly behind!!! AGAIN!!!

Anyway, I did read about Dracula. Very cool, Adina. You were certainly the "go to" person. ^_^

Great car pics!!!

Up your alley, quicker picker upper...I got stuck after that. LOL

"I wuv you."

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, there there, I was once like you, giggle. I'm trying not to write a book catching up, but it's hard to leave anyone out :o)

Love the love birds!!

30° and chilly. It's Dyson Dark with a moon so bright it's blinding! We took the plastic off one bedroom window. I open it briefly to feel the air when I get up, and the cats sit there with their nose twitching. They can't wait to sit on the sideporch when the plastic is off it too. Right now it gets over 70° out there and we can leave the house door leading to it, open.

Mornin Dyson, you seem to be on shortly after me :o)

Sunrise the other day

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: they sure don't make hood ornaments like they used to!
Awww, Celia, cute "love" birds! They all get "twitterpated" in the spring time! LOL
Sally; nice photo! As I said, I don't open my windows this time of year--waaaaay too much yellow oak pollen in the air. All my furniture would be covered and the sneezing would be non-stop! Do you think you could get a recording of the worms and play it for us? LOL

Look at the forecast for this week: 80F by Wed! Too warm for this time of year!
# Today: Sunny. High 66F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low near 40F. Winds light and variable.
* Tomorrow: A mainly sunny sky. High 74F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph.
* Tomorrow night: A mostly clear sky. Low around 50F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
* Wednesday: More sun than clouds. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 50s.
* Thursday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the mid 50s.
* Friday: Mostly Cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the upper 50s.

The tree pollen count is HIGH.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Raining and a "balmy" 44°

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

30º
Warming fast.
High of 65º today.
70's rest of the week.
Rain on Easter.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rain just ending.
After today it should be GREAT!

Looks like near 80° for Easter.

Beats hunting eggs in the snow!! LOL!

Ric

(Zone 7a)

I think I'm caught up now, but, I won't comment on everything except...

Ledge, we don't take the top off the 'Vette until about the end of May. Still too cold here, too.

55.9 °F with 68º for the high! Woooo hoo!
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 19%
Dew Point: 14 °F
Wind: 9.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 21.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Darrell's other girl, Ruby. This was her first day home.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Mau, good idea! I will try to get the worms eating. It needs to be a bit warmer before I sit outside quietly waiting tho :o)

Rain

Rain

Rain

Celia, gorgeous lady! I love the kid across the street that's looking.

Still waiting for DD to get here with the boys. It's warming up, but not enough to open up the porch yet. 50° and sunny. At least the wind quit.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, BP. The kid had his mouth open when we can around the corner, then snapped it shut. It was funny as heck! LOL

We planted a new arborvitae yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

That is funny!!

I love arborvitaes!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rain stopped, sun came out - hope it stays.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone!! Hopelessly behind, but had a great time with my dad and his girlfriend! That old man wore me out!! LOL

I would love to buy an older Vette like that, I wonder how much it would affect my insurance... hhmmmmmmm

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Like they say, if you can afford the car, you don't worry about insurance.

Nice out today except for the wind. South wind brings warm air but you have trouble standing up.

(Zone 7a)

Crissy, the insurance is not as much as you would think. Quite low, actually.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A lot depends on your age and record.
I personally like a car that's a bit more nimble.
Love the 'vettes for looks but much prefer driving a Spider or MG Midget.
Had a Midget and had a Blast in road ralley's....

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here the license plates for collector cars are cheap, but your are limited on mileage. They don't want you driving them to work everyday.
My dream is a 30's car made into a hot rod. I will dream forever!

(Zone 7a)

We all gotta have that one dream, don't we?

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

New thread : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084234/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.