My Snake Plant is Blooming

Fort Washington, MD

My Mom says she has never seen one in bloom. Has anyone else had one that bloomed?

Thumbnail by tonyav63
Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

My sans cylindrica is preparing to bloom. The other sans isn't doing much, but I've only had it for 6 months.

Westminster, CO(Zone 5a)

Mine blooms about every 3-4 years. Blooms have a very sweet smell.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Sweet smell is an understatement. I used to keep a potted Sanseveria cylindrica on my bedroom windowsill, until it flowered one night and the cloying scent almost choked me. Keep your blooming plant in a well ventilated area!

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I hope mine will bloom! I've had it since may of 2008.
That's pretty!

Thumbnail by ejennings

My cylindrica is out in the sun room with the orchids. I can close the door and contain the fragrance there. I saw photos of the flowers, and they are quite charming!

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Watch out for sticky nectar, to attract the pollinators.

Blackshear, GA

Mine has bloomed twice.

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Will mine?

Blackshear, GA

Try putting it in a brighter spot, mine has been in a GH and outside so that may have something to do with it.

My sans cylindrica has bloomed. Sorry this pic is a bit blurry!

Thumbnail by mamasita
San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I'll try that, Thanks!

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

You call them Snake Plant? In England they're known as Mother-in-Law's-Tongue! I've never seen one bloom either. The yellow edged varieties are what is known as a chimera - in a way two plants, of which only the inner one will grow from a leaf cutting - so they can't be propagated from leaf cuttings.

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I know them as Mother-in-Law's-Tongue also.

Hooks, TX

Mine bloomed for the first time and I've grown this plant
for over fifty years. The spike is about 18" tall with small
creamy white 1" blooms all up and down the stem.
Below is a picture from 12-26-09.

Louise

Thumbnail by TexasLou
San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Louise----How cool. Why do you think some bloom and some don't? That's a long time to never see a bloom till now!:)

Hooks, TX

I was so surprised and delighted to see the bloom - totally unexpected. Be sure to click on the picture to enlarge it. That will show so much more of the detail. The blooms are kinda sweet and a little sticky.
It bloomed the day after Christmas in the corner of the living room, so it doesn't really need much light. I think I remember watering it with water that I had put Peter's 20-20-20 in (1 t. to a gallon), so that may have had something to do with the timing.

Louise

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Louise-- how long have you had the MIL tongue that bloomed? My oldest is 05-2008. The bloom is neat looking.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's a bloom stalk developing on my S 'Bantel's Sensation'.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

How cool. I wish mine would bloom. I never knew they did till recently.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2010 2:39 PM

Hooks, TX

I've had this plant for about 6-8 years and have divided it several times, gave some away and now have three pots of it. This is the first time to see a bloom. It was inside all winter and in a place that wasn't lighted very much.

Louise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.