Shipping ?

Pueblo West, CO

I have some plants that I'm wanting to order. So, got to thinking I have know idea when I should have them shipped. When is it safe to ship plants?

Thumbnail by SUNNYAZ
Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

First question is...what kind of plants are they? Are they sensitive? Do they have to be planted right away after receipt?

Second question is...Are they planted inside or outside? Are you and your DH still renting?

Don't forget that some government programs for home buying are going away in the next month.

If you D-mail me I can link you to the Western Climate Center that will give you all the info you need to make an educated guess if you are planting outside. Most good growers ship at the right time for your zone. Check out the "Garden Watchdog" here at Dave's for a list of good growers.

Sonny-CO

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

If they're tender plants I usually check to see what the night time lows are between here and the nursery. If they're going to pass through a very cold area I usually wait. If they are hardy, bareroot plants you can ship just about any time the ground is thawed (so you can plant right away). For plants that will have leaves when they arrive, I try to wait until similar plants in my yard have leafed out. In the mountains you tend to get a few really cold nights each spring and early summer. I lost about $60 worth of Veronicas from HCG because I left them outside when they first arrived and it got down to 15° even though the forecast was for 25°.

Of course, if you're ordering from Montana the plants should be pretty well acclimated already :)

Pueblo West, CO

I'm not planting in the ground.For now, I will be container gardening. I can keep them indoors until the frost dangers are over. I'm ordering canna's and possibly a colocassia.

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Cannas!

I have been thinking about these out front. Buy the seeds from, http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

By the time you get the seeds and start them indoors it will be a great time to change pots and put them outdooors!

Sonny

Pueblo West, CO

I love Canna's and brought a couple with me but, decided there were three others I can't live without! (=
They are shipping from Florida so, I think I'll have them ship them on Monday. Hopefully,I won't regret it.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I would wait until the last part of April, early May to have them shipped here. or if that isnt possible start them up in containers. but in a nice warm place. My sister had some that were hardy for this area, I think they were orange colored ones. but she moved and forgot to dig them up and take them with her. what is so weird about this area is that it can get up to the 70's during the day but still have nights that go down to the 20s. I think its pretty tough on tender plants.

SUNNYAZ,
Since I live in Wyoming we are sort of neighbors. I would ship plants no sooner than last week in May. That is when I request ordered plants to be shipped. It is also a good time to plant them outdoors. It doesn't matter what type of plant since all plants will freeze if shipped too early.

Pueblo West, CO

My plants arrived in great condition yesterday.Whew....I will wait to order anymore plants. Don't want to press my luck. (=
They came potted and I will just keep them indoors for now and put them out on our deck on sunny days.

Thumbnail by SUNNYAZ
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, I want to get some cannas too! Where are you ordering from, Nancy?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

oops, cross posted! Those are awesome!

Pueblo West, CO

Hi Brenda.....I ordered from Florida Plants and Gardens. I had never ordered from them before. I'm very pleased with this company. Plants are wonderful and were in pots. They were packaged very well and they shipped out when they said they would.
I would definately order from them again! (=

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice! Thanks Nancy!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Obviously, you already have your current plants taken care of.
However, with cold hardy or shipped dormant stuff, I have problems with companies looking us up on a chart and shipping too late after it is too hot here. If my bed or site is ready, I always tell them to ship ASAP.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi all. Outstanding stripey canna on the right in your pic SunnyG. I MUST HAVE! Which one is it? I didn't winter my cannas last year so time for new ones ^_^

Pueblo West, CO

Hi dahlianut...that Canna is Pink Sunburst. All three that I ordered are doing great! (=

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So good to hear from you Dahlianut, I've been missing your posts! I need to get some cannas this year as well.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks sunnyg. I just googled Pink Sunburst to see what she looks like all growed up. OMG I SO MUST HAVE. I'm going on a garden centre 'shopping' tour around the province by bus in May. I hope I find that one. Good to see you too dear Brenda ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.