ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #173 Countdown to Spring!!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have seeds for sunchokes. Did not realize it wa the same thing. Have any of you ever grown them from seeds. I was going to plant mine is a wooden half barrel. Would that be big enough? I have to plant my 2 blueberry bushes today and I think I will set some of my broccoli plants out. I will hold the smaller ones for now in case the cold next week does the first ones in.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

1/2 barrel would be fine.
Never bothered w/ seeds....
Unless there is some flower improvement couldn't see the need.
Be sure to have some wind protection in a container.
These guys get 8' tall in many cases.
They are stout stemmed but like a Sun Flower occasionally get blown over.
I'll see if I can find some shots of ours.

They are hardy here too.
Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I forgot about my Great Aunt calling them chokes and sunchokes.

Cajun, if you want some rhizomes, I can mail you some to. They hitch hiked ride to my new house with some ornamental grasses. LOL Like Ric said, they do get quite tall and can blow over when we have that crazy summer weather. If the container was staked or out of the wind, you'd be fine I think.

Bonnie, it's good to see you and I'm glad to hear that your recovery is moving along.

Ric, it's good to see that your dad is having another birthday!

The only Southern States that I know of up this way is in Mayesville.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Never thought about buying from the produce section to add flowers to the garden!! lol That is nifty.
Hey Ric, if your dad's b'day is this week and yours was last week, then you were almost a birthday present yourself!

Bonnie, glad to see you feeling better.
Defoe, hope you are getting all the rest you need.
Badseed, I agree, there is no place like "outide" when the sun is shining and the weather is this wonderful!

Have a great weekend everyone.....gonna go play in the yard some more!

bbl
julie

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi everybody. Long time no talk to. ((((((((((((Big Huge Hugs))))))))))))

I have missed you all tremendously. I just wanted to let you all know, nothing is wrong with me or Oprah. We both are fine. Just took a little hiatus in an attempt to get some things together out in the real world. All is well really.

Still in Cleveland (Mayfield Heights). Am still looking to move south. No more cane. Just a slight limp. Otherwise health is fine.

The Business Broker business didn't quite make it off the ground. Such is life.
OK so much for my little rantings :) Y'all come gimme some love.......

((((((((((( Big hugs and many, many kisses to you ))))))))))))))

Toni and Oprah

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010 2:26 PM

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Toni! So good to "see" you! Glad to hear you are doing well!

(Zone 5b)

darius, great tip on the water filled baggies and pennies, will try that this summer.
gosh Bonnie, a cold on top of all you;ve gone through, hope it doesn't last long and you can get on with spring!
Sue you've sure been busy! can't wait to see all you've planted, your business will be a success! Geeze Ric, is there anything you can't build?? LOL

Toni you have D-mail, I need new tupperware!

What a beautiful day today! Had to break down and get some poison for the voles/moles whatever they are. I treated for grubs twice last year and I guess they just like it here. Thank goodness we've never had a mouse or vole in the house, that would freak me out. Love walking through the yard, daylilies are up, WEEDS are up, things are starting to green up. Need to get back out to the yard, it's too nice to be in the house today!

Annie

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Toni, I sure have thought a lot about you lately. So glad to know you are fine and venturing into new realms. Good luck with that. I sold Tupperware back in the day. I wasn't good at it. I'm not much of a salesman. I don't say, "Do you want to buy this?" I say, "You don't want to buy this, do you?" LOL I had fun at the parties though! I think about you every time I go through my seeds cause I still have a lot of the ones you sent me. Got some of the cukes and maters sprouting now. How is your son doing?

My goats have about agravated (sp?) the crap out of me today. Please excuse my gutter mouth. I am pooped. They came through the electric fence and I had to chase Dusty until I gave up. She finally went back in. I shut them all up in the goat house and will have to add more wire to the fence. I am wore out and I still have half my work to do. I wanted to get some basil planted too. Stupid goat.

OMG!!!!!!! ((((((((((((Cajun))))))))))))!!!!!! Hey you! LOL bout the goats. I need one to chew through my neighbors fence for me. Yep she's still an idiot.
Mr. Derek has moved into his shee shee poo poo digs in Hawaii and is out there getting settled with his wife and the boys. I am going around my birthday this year I think.

(((((((((((MsRob))))))))))) Hey lady!!! So good to "see" you too!!!!

((((((AnnieBBB)))))))))

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

You go, Girl! My nephew is in Hawaii (sp?). He has his wife and 3 kids with him. He is in the marines and is stationed there. My DS and DBIL just came back from a visit. Wish I could go. The pictures I've seen are beautiful. You'll have a great time. Gotta take pics for us.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Toni, if you ever make it down to N.O., let me know if there are any jobs down there!

((((((((( Kywoods))))))))))))))) Hey Honey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know...I love N.O.!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Toni Good to hear you and Oprah are OK!
You were missed!

Dad's Birthday party went GREAT!
He was in good spirits and in pretty good health.
Still knows he knows us which is good.
My Uncle (Mom's DB) was born March 3, Dad March 17 and both in 1919.
I split the difference w/ March 10.

Here's Dad!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Happy Birthday (((((((((Ric's Dad)))))))))))))

and a general purpose ((((((((((((((((Ric and Rob, OMG! How have you been???????))))))))))) Hug too.

Waddy, KY

I'm reduced to a quivering puddle of humanity this evening. Yesterday DD and I planted 4 flats of broccoli and around 40 lbs. of potatoes. Today I planted the 4 cherry trees and 2 peach that arrived on Thursday. Then DH and I got the 4 flats of cabbage and 1 of cauliflower and another 40 pounds of potatoes in the ground. I'm hoping after church tomorrow we can get the rest of the daylilies, and blueberries mowed out and I can get the rest of the blackberry canes pulled out and piled on the burn pile.

Ric, it's so great when our parents reach that age and still have their cognitive functions. My MIL is still sharp as a tack at almost 90 and my parents at 80 still know exactly which end is up and fortunately are still there to offer advice as needed.

Antoinette, good to see you back. Don't be a stranger....

Cajun, Southern States has a website. Just stick it in a search engine.

I hear my bed calling....Nite all!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, Ric, your Dad looks great! Glad he still has his mind and is obviously a happy man, what a blessing!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well Dad is far from sharp as a tack but still is functioning well.
Mentally he's muddled most of the time but does have his moments.
Mom was totally there at 88.
Here's a group shot of the whole crew.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Gosh, Ric, what a great looking bunch of relatives. It is hard to get a picture of all together, unless it is a special occasion. Robin, you are looking good!!

Toni, great to see you girl. Don't stay away so long. Hmmm, I might have to look at the Tupperware site and see if there is anything that I really really need!!

Janet, they said Rome wasn't built in a day, but by golly, seems like you almost got it all built. Whoa, all that planted and it seems just in time for the rain to move in and water it for you.

Cajun, seems you have had a good shopping experience since I last was here. Had to chuckle about your goat, and when it was happening, I am sure that you were not laughing. Ornery little critters when they want to be.

I got out today, and wanted to put some Preen down, but just thinking about it made me tired. DS and his SO are coming tomorrow after church, so maybe I can get a volunteer to do it then. I have more weeds in one bed than anything else. So will have to find the mojo to get them pulled so they don't take the whole thing over.

In looking I am seeing all kinds of Monarda (bee balm) and Obedient plant sprouts coming up. If anybody would like some, let me know and I will try to pot them up, otherwise they will be pulled and tossed.

We went out to eat tonight. Just taking a shower and dressing then riding 15 miles wore me out. My appetite is not completely back, and I brought home more than what I ate there. But it was good to just be out.

waving at everybody that I didn't mention by name, not intended to leave you out, just have a serious case of "I need to be in bed" right now.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep the only ones missing are our Boys and my Greek BIL....
The taller Nephew starts for the local Basketball Team as a sophomore ...
the shorter and older brother (weighed under 4 pounds at birth) just got this OHSA Cert.
He seriously into construction.

good morning everyone
Haven't read all the post yet , i just woke up !
late night with kids and a movie
busy day with my friend and her kids. ( she is the one that has custody of her neice and nephew. ) went to see the easter bunny. got some clothes for kids. went to park by our house. kids had a blast !
came home and all the kids played , we only had one situation LOLLL. can you believe it ?
Toni good to see you ! how many tomatoes are you doing this year ?
well got to run and get moving
another busy day with my friend and the kids
we also have azaleas to pot up
i need to get out and grab some compost and mulch to mix in with the potting soil. saves me money.
have a great day

(Zone 5b)

You have a beautiful Family, Ric, that's a photo to cherish. Happy Birthday to your dad!
I worked for Hospice for a few years, it always made me so sad that family's didn't have get togethers or worse, never bothered to visit. People don't have to have total cognitive functions to know & feel they are loved and appreciated.

Sue, you sure needed a FUN day!!

Bonnie, the weeds will always be waiting, get your rest!!!

Julie, it's A-OK for you to leave the chicks for a while and go play in the yard LOL

I'm so ENVIOUS of all you lucky people who are planting veggies & flowers!! Still too early here..

Have A Great Day Everyone!!!

Annie

(((((((((((Bonnie)))))))))))) ((((((((((((((Sue)))))))))))))))))

Hey you guys! Bonnie is my house still available? I am ready. I need you to "Momma" me for a while :)

Sue, if you can believe it I am not doing the big garden this year. Last year it got over run with Japanese Beetles so I am treating it this year and just buying a couple of tomato starts from the Nursery. That and my herbs and flowers is about all I can do these days since I am so busy. How are hubster and the babies? Kiss everybody for Auntie please.

Later all!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Good Morning... hopefully a lazy day here, 'cause I still ache in all my joints and muscles from yarding.

Had a lovely surprise yesterday... my oldest brother (half-brother) came through town and took me to lunch. Bobby had driven a friend to Covington, KY to visit a hospitalized brother for a few days, and they came through here winding their way back to Jacksonville, FL. I guess it's been 2-3 years since I last saw this brother (and far longer since I've seen the other 2). He's almost 10 years younger (just turned 60) and other than being overweight, he looks pretty good, still has all his hair. It's his health that worries me (Vietnam Vet on disability). I suppose all big sisters are alike... and big brothers, too.

Have you noticed that checking plant stems several times a day doesn't make them bud any quicker? LOL.

Waddy, KY

Nor does it make the peas sprout!!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon everyone!
Ric...a big happy belated birthday to your dad! He looks great! As do your other relatives..well..and you and Robin also!
Bonnie, two words for you...baby steps! It sounds like you are doing a lot better though. Keep up the good work!
Sue...glad you are having some fun time!
Annie...can't wait to meet you at the roundup...along with all the others!
Toni...it's great to 'see' you again!! Big huggs to you!
Janet...wow...you surely got a lot done! I wish you would come here for a while!
I am taking a rest today...my knees said so...lol!
You all have a wonderful day!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Toni! So glad to see you Girl! We've missed you and Oprah!

I got a lot of clean up done yesterday and 4 rows of peas in. This is way earlier than I planted last year, so I'm hoping for a good crop! Last year I planted Wando and this year I'm trying Little Marvel. I eat as many when I'm picking them as I do when I put them up!

My DM will be 90 in July and DD will be 92 next month. I'm so happy they're well and "with it". They live at Otterbein home and it's run by the United Methodist. It's a great place to live, they were the ones that wanted to go there, so it took a lot of worry off me! They have a little one bedroom patio home with bath and a half and they still do everything themselves. Dad just reserved his garden space for this year, but due to Mom's urging, he is only taking one instead of 3. (We'll see if that lasts.....LOL)

I'm down to the shade bed clean up and oh my the leaves in there. I was trying to rake and Bill brought me the blower. I came in for lunch, so I'll get back and maybe I can get it finished before the rain hits.

(((((((Marcy))))))))))) and ((((((((((((Cookie)))))))))))))) luv you and miss you Girls!

Cookie read your dmail Hunny!

Unhg Toni i just ordered a bunch of tupperware ! from my MIL . Bummer .I m not a bride either LOL so double bummer.
Yes it was a fun weekend with 5 kids !
my friend and i got lots done and had a great time. We only had two or three episodes LOL well the little boy was not feeling well so he was very calm LOL he is a wild thing on wheels. I keeped him busy watering plants and digging for worms for the chickens. He is only 5 .
bbl

No problem Sue. Remember me next time! What in the world TWare meeting are you going to where they sing??? Girl, we have a good time at ours and after it's over, well, we all have a cocktail some of us have more than one ;)

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Darius and Kydaylily, ain't that the truth about things not growing under our watchful eyes. Had that happen with this last tray of tomatoes. All of a sudden, they're 2" high. They must have been just about ready to surface the last time I looked a couple of days ago.

Marcy, you're sure getting lots done. Glad your knees are up to it!

Bonnie, glad to hear you are doing better. Seems like it takes a long time to regain your strength.

Annie, who's planting? LOL I've got trays and trays of seedlings, and a lot of them already potted up to the next size, but nothing but a few onions and potatoes in the garden so far. Not warm enough in the greenhouse at night for most of these seedlings, and it's too far from an electrical outlet to run a heater.

The neighbor came out yesterday and finished up the new garden and it looks wonderful. Didn't get a chance to get out there to start marking off rows before the rain came in this morning. At least it's not snow....yet, anyway. I know....bite my tongue! BTW, it has rained ALL day!

Sue, nice to have your friend could come and visit for both you and the kids. Glad you had a great time!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Getting some good blooms today.
Pulmonaria

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And the Hellebores are late but heavy!

Thumbnail by henryr10
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Ric, I just saw an article about Hellebores in an old Birds and Blooms magazine tonight. I had heard the name before, but didn't have any idea what they looked like. They are beautiful! But I was a little confused. They're bulbs, but in the article, it said they will reseed themselves?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Plants from bulbs throw seeds in most cases.
Tulips, daffs etc that's where the new cultivars come from.

Never heard of Hellebore bulbs though.
They are in the Ranunculaceae Family.
So creeping roots are their thing.
The foreground Hellebores are from seedlings and will probably seed this year.
The background ones are sterile Hybrids.
They just slowly increase by the roots creeping out.

Ric

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, good evening friends. I have had a busy day, today, church, then home for lunch, a nap, and when I awoke from the nap, decided that since the forecast was for rain, and my DS didn't make it down today, that the preen needed to be put down. So in my pjs, put on some tennis shoes and out I go. I had a 13 pound bag of Preen, and honestly I was too weak to carry that. So divided it into 2 buckets and finally got it all put down. I still need to do one bed, but ran out of the preen. Maybe I can go tomorrow and get some to put in that one bed.

DH had gone to visit a cousin this afternoon, and had he been here, he would not have let me do that.

So I hear you Marcy, little baby steps, but it is coming back. I may be ready to garden about July or August!!

Toni, it is good to see you back. Missed you girl. I will send you a dmail to get all caught up on the house and what all has gone on here.

Ric, lovely pictures of the plants. I have not a hellebore one. Don't know why. I need to remedy that this year.

Sue, way to go on having some help and the kids some others to play with.

Joyce, yes, be thankful that your parents at that age are still able to do for themselves, and have good minds. My DM was so afraid that she would get Alzheimers, and thankfully that didn't happen.

Darius, what a nice surprise, the visit from your DB. Hope that you can gradually get the muscles toned and not be sore from working outside.

Janet, DH nixed the idea of blackberries and raspberries. So I may just have to call you and buy some when they are ready. He says we have no place to put them. Ha, we have 25 acres!! And nothing but grass growing on it!!

Annie, good to see you, and sorry that you are not warm enough to at least be planted a little something.

Well, off to check a couple other threads, and then off to bed.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, guys - just caught up reading. I forgot to watch this thread. My subscription's up on Tuesday and I've not yet decided on whether to take a hiatus or not.

My folks hit a deer while driving our van March 11. They're fine, but the van was totaled. We got a very fair amount from our insurance, and ended up using the money to put a big down payment on a 2006 PT Cruiser GT. It is a one-owner car that is about showroom clean, with the chrome package, leather interior, sunroof, heated seats and even UConnect bluetooth that lets us use the cellphones hands-free thru the stereo. It is sweet, a real blessing we didn't expect. We're really enjoying it!

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010 11:25 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife

nice ride GW !

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sweet Ride!
We rented one when they first came out. Loved it!
Does Howie have goggles and a bug mask?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I often wondered how you got a big guy in a little car!

Don't abandon us.

Bonnie, glad to hear you are getting stronger.

Bernie

good morning..... or i guess it is .? not happy about the vote last night. That is all i will say .
got all the plants inside.
woke up late
was up watching tv late last night , glued to it.
so it was a crazy morning.
I hate waking up in the dark mornings . Just slow . But i do love the late evenings.
Lots of froggies singing in the woods. I Love that sound.
raining here
Geo give me a call !
bbl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.