ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #173 Countdown to Spring!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077839/

Well it's just a week before the first day of Spring!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Columbus, OH

What kind of flower is that, Ric?

(Zone 5b)

Thanks Ric, for making a new thread!

I want to know what kind of flower that is too, Celene, very pretty!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Petasites japonica... I have plenty.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

they don't like me :( Ric keeps handing me down some but thern i don't see them grow ?
maybe this year i will get lucky.
uhg this morning thing sucks ! body still thinks its 6;30 am
couldn't sleep last night either .
have a great day sure is cold here today
sue

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ric. It had just started getting slow to load for me the last couple of days. That flower is beautiful.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Honey, I'm home!!!! ^_^

Had a good trip, even though I did have to do Epcot Center in the rain, but it was fun anyhoo.... ;o)

Ric, sorry I missed your birthday, Bro....how come you never catch up to me in years?????

Looks like Nolan's day is one for the books, too...what a cutiepie. My 9 mo. old GS didn't make up to me until it was time to leave...go figure. I had a ball checking out the local garden centers and came home with a red mandevilla for $4.99. Now to just keep it alive until I can plant it out!

I read everything, but I certainly didn't retain much! Bonnie, glad you seem to be doing so well....keep up the good work!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey Sis Welcome Back!
Epcot in the rain beats here in the rain.
How are the fish doing?

Thought this would brighten up this early part of the Thread.
I know it's a repeat but....
Our first Daff.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everybody! WB Joyce!
And WB Pat!
Huggs for Bonnie...you seem to be on the road to recovery! Yayy!!
Nothing going on here, exceptttttttt...my DH is taking me to my very favorite nursery today...Meadowview!
I'm not going so I can buy anything...even though they are having a perennial sale. I think it is get 25 perennials for 29.00.
I just need a good dose of spring...and what better place to get it????? Well yeah...Hawaii WOULD be better...but I can't get him to fly or swim!!
Dark and dreary here today so far.
The sun did peek through for a couple of seconds...and that was it...so far.
Ric...love the daff! I have some that are ready to burst into bloom too. Can't wait!
Have to get some lunch..then on our way!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Welcome back Pat!

Welcome back Joyce!

I thought no one was talking this morning and realized I didn't 'watch' the thread. DUH!

Marcy, you can buy me perennials at that price. LOL Want my wish list??? Have fun!

Nolan got to play outside last week for the first time since he learned to walk. Monday-Friday he was happy to walk around on the porch. If I said "eeeewww", he didn't think about stepping off the porch. He'd touch the mud and stick his toes in the grass but didn't leave.

By Friday afternoon, he got past that. Maddie was home sick and she went out to the swings and was riding a big plastic dinosaur. He flung himself off the porch, stuck his toes and fingers in the mud, laughed and took off! He got to swing, ride the dino, then go see the chickens! He's been calling them and the rabbits cat-cats but now they are chick-chicks. He is such a riot!

Of course he's angry a lot now because he wants to go 'outide' every time we open the door! The only time we get a break is when it's dark.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Darnit. I just looked and this thread IS watched. I didn't get an update though....

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bertie and I went to Meadowview last year when they had that big sale. Trouble is, you have to buy them by the flat and they have like 4 smaller sizes of each and then like 4 in a small flat. We couldn't find anything that we really, really liked, but we managed to find enough to split one.

I had a ball checking out the nurseries and farmers markets in FL. We won't see that kind of bloom here for quite a while!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Chele, had to chuckle about Nolan. Now that he has found "outside" you are gonna be fannin that door!! My kind of child, can't be all bad if they like to go outside!!

I have been doing some bills and paper work today. Nothing too taxing but I sure am beat.

The weather has been overcast and cloudy, and not a peek of sunshine anywhere. The temps seem cooler too, although I haven't been out, just opening the door to let Mr. B out.

Welcome back Pat and Joyce. Glad that you got some time away, and Pat I sure am glad to hear that your health issue was just a scare.

Ric, someone sent me a planter of daffs and hyacinths that are forced, and they sure are perfuming the house.

Does anybody know if I can let those bulbs dry and then plant them this fall? I have never tried anything like that, but just wondered if I need to toss them out, or save them and try it?

Marcy, I would be in heaven to get to wander around a nursery. DH and I stopped at Lowes the other day, and the only things they had were the spring pansies. Absolutely nothing else. Will be waiting for the time I can visit and get some ideas.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It's horrible Bonnie! Any time one of us goes out, he takes off running, yelling "outide, outide". If you shut the door, he sits down and cries so pitifully. He really REALLY likes it outside!

We got a short glimpse of sun but that was it!

I got some more of my gardens mapped on Visio. As soon as I can find some seed mix, I'm doing some seeds. I refuse to put life on hold for another year!

Joyce, I've met very few plants I didn't love. LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok girls...and guys! I'm back!!
I didn't buy any of those perennials. Like Joyce said, they were pre-grouped..as in...a butterfly mix...a rock garden mix...you get the idea! And you had to take them the way they were grouped. I have to say...they were selling the heck out of them!
What I did buy was a phormium! I have been wanting one forever, and they had this veriegated one...uhh...would have to go look at the tag to say which one..but it's pretty!
Then Dave bought me this metal wall hanging...that is birds sitting on a telephone line! It's cool!
Then he took me to an antique store in Tipp City, where I got a few little things. Then we went out to eat at the Pearson House in West Milton! Sooo..it was a fantastic day. We had a great time..just putzing around all day! Now I am home doing laundry...lol!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Forgot to say, Chele, I must have missed it when you said Nolan was walking? The last I saw, he was walking around things, but not letting go? He will keep you busy now! As if he didn't before!

Hi to everyone
just a quick post to say hi and a big ~~~~~
kinda pooped
did some seeds today tomato and peppers
tomorrow is herbs and eggplants
i am going to do a flat of strawberry spinach . i love that stuff ! its actually a blight
oh i found some daffs or maybe tulips coming up in the circle of the driveway , i hope i can get them before the deer do ! this time. grrrrr.
i m going to dig them up but them in pots and hope for the best
put them on the back porch or in the cold frame in front. since the chickens are gone.
good night sleep well

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Daffs have flat strap leaves basically Sue and are pretty much Deer proof.
Tulips are more of a V shape or curled in a cylinder and Deer munch them.
Usually tulips have a point tip leaf w/a touch of color besides green too.

No rain today!!!

The Ohio River will crest above Flood Stage Weds.

Cool sounding Day Marcy!!
Ric

Waddy, KY

Had to go to the other office in Louisville today. Another wasted day. Seems like when you do something like that you can't get back and get focused for the rest of the day. Or at least I can't. I should have gone out and trimmed the blackberried this afternoon but no sun made me talk myself out of doing it. Maybe tomorrow. I'll cut the one bag of potatoes that came in the other day. Still waiting on the Red Norlands to come in. I decided to raise a few less this year since I never got them all dug last year. Poor planning on my part. I'm going to plant the left overs along with the seed potatoes. The left overs are all sprouting so I might as well. I hate peeling a wrinkled potato.

Bonnie, I'd just go ahead and stick them in the ground and not worry about drying them. They'll either come back or they won't. I've read that forcing them messes with them and they either never straighten out and bloom again or it takes them a long time. Either way, I wouldn't waste much time worrying about them.

Chele, that boy needs a baby goat, lamb and a calf! Get him in the dirt and keep him there!

I was working on my daylily field row map this evening and I thought I lost the entire thing. It wasn't going to be a total disaster as I had last years copy but I'd already done a lot of work on it and was mentally kicking myself. I managed to find it thankfully. Saved it in a place I didn't expect. I hate computers....

Sue, keep those pots a going. You'll be watering like crazy this summer!

~~~~~~~ to all not mentioned. Bedtime for Bonzooooo!!!!

Janet

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Glad to see everyone is doing so much better.
Really glad to see some of you guys back. Joycet I agree Epcot in the rain would be just fine for me!

I WANNA GO OUTIDE ***In my best Nolan voice*** because I agree with the boy...it is the only place to be!!! Bless his heart, he's a gardener already and doesn't even know it yet! lol

I am doing peas and onions tomorrow if I don't get rained out.

Not going to be traveling too far from home to keep an eye on the peeps for now. Wow! are they ever cute!!!

Ric, jealous of the blooms but our time is coming!!! then we can trade pictures.

Heading to bed,
Night all
take care and stay safe
Julie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You guys are so funny. I think Nolan is going to give me a run for the money this summer. He loves going outside.

Julie, I know you are enjoying those chicks! We kept ours in the living room for a short bit when we first got them and the kids really had fun with them (So did I).

I'm sure Sue is thinking ahead to watering, repotting, rearranging, feeding....LOL The first year is a beast!

hey gang
well i hope to sell most of them so i don't have to water them all summer LOL with any luck.
good day today
sunny warm day
found 20.00 in my jacket who hooo
found my keys
bummer today was new shirts i ordered didn't fit nor look good. don't like my blubber showing through fabric. not pretty .
got some seeds done and in cold frame outside
bbl

Columbus, OH

I'm with Nolan today. I wanted to go outiiiiiiiiiiiiiide. :)

outside good!

Waddy, KY

Would have been nice to be out a little more than I was today. I got the plastic on my little greenhouse for the seedling. I'll try to get the heater in there for tomorrow night. For the time being they were staying in the windshield of the farm car during the day. Almost as good as a greenhouse! Got 50 lbs of potatoes cut. Now if the other bag would come in that would be nice. Who knows, if it doesn't rain the rest of the week like the forecast said maybe I could get them planted. DD's dog tried to cart them out of the crate I was dropping them in. Pup and I had words....

Have a good evening all!

Good evening everybody. It was a good day here, although overcast but the sun did come out for a bit this afternoon. Not that I am in any shape to get outside, it was sure nice seeing it.

I am still resting quite a bit but am up and about as much as I feel I can be. Had company come about 12:30 and stayed till 2:30, and that was a bit much, as I was headed to lay down when she came. It was SIL and I love her dearly, but she talks a mile a minute, and can wear a well person out!!

Sue, I am sure hoping that you have a good business. Do you plan on putting up signs and such directing people to your place? Advertising? sales? buy 3 get one free type thing? I know that sure catches my attention!!

Celene, the peeps doing well?

jar, did you get your peas and onions in? My DH planted peas last week, can't find any onion sets yet. I am ordering the onion plants again this year, they did great for me last year.

Joyce, I have never been to Epcot. Many years ago, I took the DS to DisneyLand (World) the one in Florida, and my DTS and her DS and we spent the longest day there that has ever been recorded in my history. It was long lines, and lots of waiting. Haven't had a desire to go back that way again. I know it is lots different and I would probably enjoy it, but amusement parks are not my idea of fun.

Marcy, l drooled over your day at the nursery and the antiques shops. You have got to have the bestest DH that I know.

Janet, I think I will just put those bulbs in the ground, and let them take their chances. The house is smelling very good as there are hyacinths and scillia, plus the daffs and tulips in that one planter.

Ric, any news on going back to work? I know that you have been perfectly happy doing the remodels and all the work, but just wondering if the UI is about to run out.

Hey, Renee, did you get the job you interviewed for? If you said I missed it.

Goshsmom, I really missed you and wondered where you had gone. I sure hope that now with spring around the corner, that you are feeling better and ready to get outside and garden.

Chele, I don't envy you this summer trying to keep up with Nolan. Maybe with the girls you can assign Nolan duty, and it will be taken care of. I can't wait for him to begin collecting worms and frogs and what ever else catches his attention. I remember my DS coming in and he had found baby mice (without any hair) and pulling them from his pocket!! Did I see where you may be getting rid of your daylilies? All of them? My,what will you do? That will be my big job this summer, digging and dividing mine, and getting them settled in a new area. I have a high school boy lined up to do the heavy work, and I will just be the supervisor and the one with the pay check!! I plan on putting some on the LA, and getting rid of a bunch of mine.

Well, this is my first time today on this computer, and need to go check some other "watched" threads. Sleep well everybody.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Outside was very good here today.
60° and Sunny.

Didn't do much outside today though.
Basically fed the fish and looked at the new plant growth.
I was working on the Kitchen Cabs inside.
Robyn was outside sanding and painting.

Bonnie we cross posted.
No luck yet on the job but the UI has been extended way out in Ohio.
So we should be OK
Ric

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 9:57 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

OK here's the deal my Friends.
We had to get a place now as the Parks, etc reservations are filling up rapidly.
Much faster than in previous years it seems.

RU Date:
Saturday June 12, 2010 starting at 10 AM going till........ whenever.....

PLACE:
Armco Park
Warren County, OH.

http://cincinnati.metromix.com/leisure/recreation_facilities/warren-county-armco-park-turtlecreek-township/1265572/content

It's easily accessible from I-71 & I-75.
Maybe 20 minutes tops from Kings Island.
45 minutes from my place.
30 minutes from Dayton.
Probably 30 minutes from West Cincinnati.

Don't have a signed contract currently so I won't give the Shelter # and such just yet.

Some Park Rules:
No Pets! (their ! not mine) Obviously Service Dogs and Chickens don't apply.

No Carry In Alcohol....
They sell bottled beer and wine coolers in advance.
Contact me if you want any 10 days advance notice must be given.
There's a list of available brands.
And not that I think we will.... but they have 1/4, 1/2 and full Kegs

We will have Electricity and are very close to the Restrooms.
Don't know if they are Handi-capable or not just yet.

If you have any questions give me a holler.....

Ric

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 10:52 PM

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Service Chickens? *Duck-ing and running*

Nope, Bonnie, never heard back about the interviews...I had two at Lowe's, one with the HR manager, and one with an assistant mgr., and they said they'd call for one with the store mgr. He was out of town that week. I plan to call them tomorrow, as he's been back for a week.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 11:16 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey if it's got a Vest you can bring a Service Hampster!

Sorry Jules I know you are very serious about this and Josie MUST come!

Ric

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here are my 1 week old game chicks.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I planted 48 red onion sets and 48 yellow onion sets today. I still have more to plant. We eat a lot of onions.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Goodmorning Everyone!

I need some sunshine. Been over a week, I think.

Cajun, good going! I WILL plant my potatoes and onions today. I WILL plant my potatoes and onions today. I WILL plant my potatoes and onions today.

Bonnie, was your cruise on Celebrity Mercury? It was on the news this morning, that their last 3 cruises had an outbreak of Norovirus, which has the same symptons you had.

Robin, it wasn't a cruise. We flew to the bahamas. Don't think there was any connection with the trip and my illness.

Hope you get the potatoes and onions planted today.

Waddy, KY

Too wet here to plant potatoes yet. I'm hoping for the end of the week. I'd like to get over and trim my blackberries this afternoon whether I want to or not. Either that or get the scrub brushes and lestoil out and start scrubbing market tables. I need to start making some prep around here.

Still haven't started our income taxes. DH is supposed to take care of the check book and bills and I personally would scream and he would have bellered like a mad bull if when I kept the books they were as scattered then as they are now. If he's not interested in getting the taxes done then I'm not interested either. You all will visit me in the federal pen right? Or at least send me letters and cards? I just know the second week in April he'll be wanting me to drop everything and "HELP" him get the figures together. Is this sort of needling me? Yep. Sure is.

Bonnie, good to see your posts a little longer. That means you're feeling some better.

Anybody ever made zucchini oatmeal cookies? I got a recipe I need to try. Reckon I can throw in some chocolate chips. That can never hurt a cookie....

~~~~~~~to all. Have a good day!

Janet

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Janet, haven't heard of those cookies, but I think I'll look for a recipe and try them, too. Still have a few containers of shredded zucchini in the freezer.

I've got raised beds in the garden, so the soil is in good shape for planting. I'm also trying some potatoes in home made grow bags.

Columbus, OH

I have made zucchini chocolate cake and zucchini "crab" cakes and zucchini spice cookies, I think zucchini oatmeal cookies sound pretty good. I will be planting less zucchini this year. LOL I froze about 20-1 cup bags of shredded zucchini last year.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Is the zucchini "crab" cakes online? That sounds good. I'm down to 8 2-cup containers. Gave away a bunch a couple of weeks ago.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Robin, how do your grow bags work?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ric

is there a town name, I tried to do map quest and it can't find it?

thanks

Jan(et)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.