Daily Walks 4

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

They are hard to see in this photo, but they pretty much cover the ground in between the Fiddlenecks and the little white ones. DH won't disc up the field here until they've seeded. I should have mentioned that since the Poppy photos, these wildflowers were found on a quick walk the other day, here on the farm.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

From a different angle, for those who are wildflower starved.
They say that when the first 49'ers came out here, they were struck with the colorful wildflowers on the hillsides after the spring rains. It makes me wonder if these flowers weren't among the flower color palette.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The ants are awake and moving and so was I. Away from them!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A candle at the top of a young Monterey Pine.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A fungi!
That's it for now. I'm still way behind but think I need to start a new thread for the trip down the Coast Hwy. It's so different from what I am used to.
Kelli, keep 'em coming. Thanks for pulling the archive photo of the choc. orchid. Best not to go back and visit it often, lest others kill it by following your trail.
The rest of you don't have to be shy about sharing photos from your walks.
WIB!
SW

This message was edited Mar 16, 2010 10:41 PM

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

That looks like the same kind of lupine as I have. They seem to like to grow along roads.

Your white flowers are called popcorn flower and the pink ones are wild radish. Yep, I'm a know-it-all. I admit it. ;-)

Quoting:
Best not to go back and visit it often, lest others kill it by following your trail.

It's right along the main trail, but I have the same sort of feelings. If you look at it too much, it might somehow attract unwanted attention.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Kelli. I have a lousy memory since the car accident, and still have problems with words getting all mixed up and coming out backwards. At least I'm not typing backwards unless I'm really tired anymore.
Sometimes the best way to protect something is to let well enough alone, Kelli. Keep your lips sealed when it comes to where it is. Most people don't really see what is around them, anyway. Sometimes right in front of their eyes.
I realized that someone was picking the lupine yesterday. I was looking for plants that weren't as mature with an eye towards transplanting some. I found several with the flower stalk removed.
So far the plan is to try to transplant any I can find that haven't started to bloom yet. Plan on doing it this weekend. The City won't complain, and the local farmers will have more confirmation that I'm "eccentric", and will humor me, so I just need some water and a decent shovel along with some buckets to put them in.
Of course they'll probably spray some "weed killer" before I can get to it. I'll keep ya posted.
Wild Radish, thanks for the ID, Kelli. I'll have to see if I can get some of those growing here again. I really like them. We used to have fields full of them next to the kids' school. They were gorgeous to see.
Now we have a storm channel, and fenced in dirt.
Kelli, I really do have scrambled brains, so don't ever feel shy or bad to correct me, or give me the proper name of something. I won't take offense. I know I've got a wiring problem in my brain. I'm just grateful that so many DG'er's (you know who you are!) are understanding and helpful when I have a problem with my memory and ID's.
It allows me the freedom to get out there and take photos and share them with people. It's all good! : - )
WIB!
SW

I remember a story I read about a woman from Iowa who moved out to CA with her husband during the Gold Rush. After a time they moved back to Iowa and she said that she would always remember CA as the land of sunshine and flowers.

pictures from today - Parry's phacelia

Thumbnail by Kelli

some other kind of phacelia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Humboldt lilies will bloom in a couple months

Thumbnail by Kelli

prickly phlox

Thumbnail by Kelli

Indian pink

Thumbnail by Kelli
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Kelli,
I've got some kurume azaleas blooming. They always put on such a good show.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are some lorapetalum shrubs which are about 10 feet tall. Who knew???

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The Japanese Maples are leafing out. HEre's an Aratama. It's a new little one that should stay dwarf. Sure hope so. It's in a place that needs a really dwarf tree. They say 3-5 feet and I figure that it can tolerate 10.

Thumbnail by doss
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I've always called (wrongly) your first photo, Parry's Phacelia, Canterbury Bells, so it's nice to know the right name for them. They grow here. I'm not sure about some of the others though, Kelli. A real treat and thank you! : - )
doss, always a treat to see your plants. I'm downright jealous about your lorapetalum shrubs. Not to mention your Japanese Maple. Gorgeous!
Been so busy working, (yes, I know I'm not supposed to, but someone has to!), getting Casey settled in the rental. There is still stuff to do, but I'm goofing off right now.
Better get back to work.
WIB!
SW

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Oceanside! :) I live pretty close to those photos. Nice pics.

some pictures from yesterday

Boney Mountain

Thumbnail by Kelli

winter vetch

Thumbnail by Kelli

some other kind of vetch

Thumbnail by Kelli

woolly paintbrush

Thumbnail by Kelli

lupines

Thumbnail by Kelli

old road grader - I was told one time that it was horse drawn

Thumbnail by Kelli

yard ornament from where there used to be a house

Thumbnail by Kelli

Pictures from the past couple weeks

yellow monkey flower

Thumbnail by Kelli

blue dicks

Thumbnail by Kelli

Deerweed looks festive up close.

Thumbnail by Kelli

black sage

Thumbnail by Kelli

hairy-leafed ceanothus

Thumbnail by Kelli

poppies

Thumbnail by Kelli

tidy tips

Thumbnail by Kelli

twining snapdragon

Thumbnail by Kelli

scarlet bugler

Thumbnail by Kelli
No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Nice pics, Kelli. I love Deer Weed - our nearby highway is lined with it right now. We have one volunteer plant in our garden and I keep it protected so it doesn't get mistaken for a REAL weed! LOL

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

DH said that deer weed is one of the first to come up after wildfires. At least I think he did. I think it's pretty.
Kelli, I sure am glad that you continue to post to this thread, and that you are so knowledgeable.
I have been so busy getting things cleaned up from the flood and now getting ready for the RU, that I haven't posted photos.
I really want to.
Kelli, I wish I could get you out here for a walk some spring. Many of the flowers you've posted live here on the farm. Not all by any means, but more than you'd think. I can't seem to take a step outside the yard, without stepping on some kind of flower.
The good news is that the little rains we've had have been keeping the wildflowers blooming.
Keep up the good work, Kelli, and the excellent photos. It's much appreciated. : - )
WIB!
SW

Thank you, I'm glad you like them. I'm kind of surprised that you have so many of the same plants where you are, as far inland as you are.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Me too! But then again, we have a really special place. Anytime Kelli, you want to come and visit, you are more than welcome.
I'm loosing the "e" on my keyboard, and that makes typing hard. I hope my kid can fix it.
Thanks again Kelli.
WIB!
SW

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

That would be great for you to meet!
Kelli, no wonder Jules has those flowers you are posting...remember even I have some of them here, so far away!LOL
With your help, I now know their names!

Adina

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if I shared my encounter with the Brown Pelican on Valentines Day, and it's hard to believe that I'm that far behind. Here's the link in case you missed it and I did post it before. : - {
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1075807/#top
As near as I can tell, I didn't post any photos of my farm walks since I got back from the beach in Feb.
I went walk about on V Day, and discovered a pair of small brown woodpeckers building a nest in the hole hiding behind the stick, on some dead wood in this old oak.. It was fun to watch the male bring in a beak full of twigs, deposit them in the hole only to have the female kick out half of them.
Enjoy, while I skip through and try to get caught up on this thread. : - )
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Some fungus growing under the oaks. That round slice from a tree is about 4 inches in diameter, and I put it there for scale. You can count the moldy tree rings if you want! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.