Daily Walks 4

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is the thread where you can post photos of your daily walks. I have some great walks that I can take right here at home, but it doesn't matter where you are taking your walks, your comments and photos are welcomed here. I will be sharing some of my walks and I hope that you feel like sharing your walks here too.

This is where we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1075830/

If you're skipping through, and miss the photos that Kelli posted today, on the previous page of this thread, you might want to go back and take a look. They're a real treat, and well worth the time and effort.
Well Done Kelli! : - )

Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The previous photo was taken at daybreak on our first day of "Vacation". Now I'm the type who likes to sleep in, while on vacation, but every day that we were there except the last three days, I was awakened at 6:30 am by some kind of heavy equipment grooming the beach. So I'd walk out to the balcony with my hot chocolate and watch. In it's own way it's fascinating. Besides, once I'm awake, I'm awake.
This is what woke me up on Feb. 8th.
He's pushing the sand back down to the waterline due the flooding they had there in Feb.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

It was a cold, gray morning, with rain clouds above, but it didn't deter this one surfer. The only surfer that took to the ocean that morning.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This sea gull stopped on the nearest lamp post to screech at me. I guess it didn't much like the noise or the weather either. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Heavy equipment but more importantly, do you see the fellow behind the machinery? The one who figured out it was a great day to go boogie boarding? : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I had to forgive the noise when I saw this.
It must have been raining a bit out to sea, and the sun was fighting it's way through the fog behind me, the colors aren't as vivid as they could be, but even still, I love this photo.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Same view without using the telephoto.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A beautiful brown pelican flying by.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I guess his job was done for the day. A few people were starting to stir about. Can't ruin the illusion. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We saw this boat every day we were there.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We saw this sail boat just about every day too.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We had a little rain storm so I had to go downstairs and get this photo of rain pocked sand. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A pretty sea shell among the rocky beach.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We saw a lot of these while there, too.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Is the sand really that grey? Up here, it's brown.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You can see how the river is running parallel to the beach in this photo. It's made a sandbar to the seaside that goes out quite a distance, people need to be really careful not to get caught up in the cross currents. Looking toward the O'side pier.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Um, the sand is mostly white with black (magnetite) and gold (iron pyrite or fools gold) mixed in with particles of seashells. It looks gray because of the cloudy skies. You'll see other photos that show that better, Kelli.
These folks are standing on that sand bar and they aren't even at the far edge.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe it is gray? I've usually seen it gray like this because it is wet, but the sun is shining in this photo. What say you folks who know O'side, is the sand usually this gray, or whiter?
Seasonal changes? Beats me, but it does sparkle when the sun catches it right, Kelli.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Another beautiful sunset at the beach to finish off the day.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This guy woke me up on the next morning. He'd been a busy (and noisy) boy.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Waves breaking on the rocks guarding the Life Guard station. High tides that day.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I've seen DH do some amazing things with his tractor but I never thought I'd see someone deliberately back it up into the ocean and breaking waves. He didn't get stuck though. He's still dragging all that sand down to the beach to cover all those rocks.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A different view, so you can better see what I can't explain well.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Can't quite make out what kind of birds these are. They were way out at sea, fishing.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I was just hanging out, when I saw what appeared to be a spout of water, so I ran outside, to get these photos, which I did crop so you can see what I saw better.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is another one.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A different whale, this is the cropped version.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The uncropped version.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I think this is a different whale from the others. Seemed we had a pod of 'em trailing along the far outer edge of the river out there in the ocean.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I waited for a long time for them to come back, but they didn't. It's okay because I've never seen them in their natural environment before. Just beautiful they were.
I've gone on whale watching trips and we never spotted them before. Even when I was a kid I never saw them. Which got me thinking, why not? Well, I got my first pair of glasses when I was living down in O'side as a kid and we moved soon after so I probably was just too nearsighted to see 'em.
These photos of the whales were taken from the balcony of the timeshare we stay at. Granted it wasn't a long walk, (LOL!) but it sure was a worthwhile one! : - )
Going to take a break for a bit, so feel free to comment, if you want.
BBS,
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

How neat that you got to see whales! I think your unknown birds are grebes, maybe western grebes.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

An awe inspiring but three stooges moment. I'm running around swearing that I should have gotten trifocals, asking DH, where are they now? DH is trying his hardest to spot them for me. Pointing the camera on max zoom at where I think they might resurface, and praying that black spot isn't just on my lens. LOL!
I had to wait for the end of the day to be sure I got anything at all. I was hoping to get a spout, but since that's what alerted me to their presence, I'm not complaining. : - )
My what a wondrous world we live in.
Let's see what else I saw at the beach.
Since I don't remember how to spell it, you figure it out! LOL!
I had to admire this intrepid duo.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I have to admit I was tired after all the excitement of seeing the whales and took a long nap. So I didn't get any sunset photos that evening.
But guess who was back the following morning at 6:30 am?
I did get mad at the tractor driver because he rammed into that palm tree. Poor tree.
You can see it's going to be a nice day. The fog bank is a couple of miles off the coast.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The surfers are back!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I do not know why this guy is sitting on his surf board using a paddle. Is it a new style of surfing?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Newly groomed beach. And you all thought they just looked perfect all the time without any help.
Hah! I finally figured out why they do it so early in the day. It's too hard to do when the beach is covered with people.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Three birds in this photo.
Real bird,
Reflected bird,
Shadow of bird.
Surprised me 'cause I didn't see it myself until just now!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Remember that poor palm tree the tractor ran into? Well I did walk down and got this photo of the damage. I hope it survives.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Look at how wide that sand bar is. The lady in the distance doesn't know she is walking on a sandbar.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The river between the sandbar and the shore. Shortly after I took this photo I had to pull the lady in the distance out of the river. She didn't realize it was a deep channel, and before she even realized it she was waist deep in the water.
She was a very nice lady, in town, at loose ends, because she was there to see her daughter before she was deployed overseas. Her daughter is in the Marines. Turns out we are both Military Brats.
We had a pleasant afternoon chatting away. Told her to have her daughter take her down to Trestles Beach. I hope that they went.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.