Is it spring anywhere?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Judy, I love the blue iris!

Moby, those are beautiful! Blue Flag are Chionodoxa sardensis. Very early and I love them!

Donna, those are lovely too! I think mine are more og a globe, like a real iris. Hmmm, I'll have to see if I have a close up. Ooohhh, poink flags! I'd like to see them open!

Steve, love the misles! Now that is the spring I'm looking for! They are one of my favorites!

But Pirl, I"VE never seen deer poop!

Pardalinum, I have seen piles of raccoon poop. Yep, nasty!

Jmorth, I never knew there were so many varations of the purple crocus. I love the white rim!

Steve, it's always a disappointment when something won't bloom and you have to wait a whole year for a chance to see them.

Jmorth, your white crocus are so pretty!

I need to post a few photos.

First, is Blue Flag for Moby. I dug the yellow pottery up. It's a wonder I didn't break it.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

My purple crocus, which were a free gift from Michigan Bulb in 1981.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I finally had to re-do the rock garden. They couldn't spread any more.

My border iris and grape hyacinth. I think my borders are not the same as yours.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yep, my borders have iris leaves. I forgot that.

So, I'm still not sure what they are. They were given to me.

Thumbnail by billyporter
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Wow, your round rock garden bed is really colorful! Love the way that looks.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ohhhh ~ I gotcha! I had to look it up...Scilla. Knew the name sounded familiar :) Thanks for the pretty pic. Such a nice blue!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks NY Rita. It's changed this year. I put some of them back, but have added some varigated iris, lady's mantle and red coralbells. I've only had spring color all those years. Time for a new look.

Moby, oops,I forgot to add Scilla to the name. I love it's blueness. I also have pictures of it every year, just like the crocus!

Spring bulbs go well with lilies, that way one gets both spring and summer color.

I just couldn't stand it anymore and bought the most pretty orange violas at the nursery. Just had to have to spring color already. Bought some potted in bloom ranunculus also in the most lovely and vibrant colors. I do love the flowers on ranunculus but if I want them I have to buy potted ones in bloom like I just got today. I can never get anywhere by planting the bublets myself and tring to get them to grow.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

OMG billyporter that is just a gorgeous bed insode the rocks! At first when I saw the pic before I read the description I thought they were different kinds of crocus and then I was gonna be REALLY jealous!. Wow - such an impact statement by such small bulbs. Love what you did with the iris and muscari.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutely lovely round bed there, billyporter!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey Billyporter,That yellow crock is an antique. Too bad the lip is gone.
Crocus here.Happy to go outside and have someplaace to walk beside the driveway.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

NYRita, how could you resist? It would be like the first bowl of sherbet on a hot day! I love ranunculus and they aren't hardy here. The closest I can get are the spring Bachelor Buttons. They bloom at the same time as the little border iris.

SteveFtWorth, thanks! It was really pretty. Too bad all was crowding each other. I just dug the entire bed, added compost and replanted a few of both last year. I can't wait to see how it's going to look this year since I added a few other things.

Thank you Pollyk, when we moved here, it was a huge stump that was burned and burned till most of it was finally gone. I got the rocks from a childhood neighbor, SIL and friends.

Ge1836, it's one of the few things I've unearthed that wasn't broken. I get the prettiest pieces of cups and saucers, and a lot of small pottery pieces. Your crocus stand so tall and proud :o) Flowers are there to get us out into the fresh air!

Bachelor Buttons, Ranunculus acris

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I should have used this picture, with the iris.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are very nice. I see its important to have masses of them

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The BB's bloom early and have a nice long bloom time. I really like the fact the they are different. In a wet spot, they really spread, but they stay under control in the sun. Unfortunately, the bed is full of the wild garlic that I thought I was rid of. I'm going to have to dig, discard all the dirt again and replant. Luckily they are a tough plant and can take the dirt being knocked off.

All the Bradfords Pears all along the city streets here are in bloom today. I was out there Saturday and they were no yet open, today they are. Must be all this nice warm weather we are having. I saw Magnolias in bloom around town also. Plus the pink flowering cherry trees are in bloom.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

NYRita, I'm always suprised at how much warmer NY is than us. We are almost on the same latitude, but it's just enough to make us a zone and a half apart :o)

Right now the leaves on the fruit trees are just fuzzy green starts. Bluebells and tulips are just starting to open.

Today, it's cold and raining. Yesterday it was 75° and I wore shorts, sun screen and mowed.

It is summer today :-)) Early in the year for this type of weather but it should go back to more normal temps by the end of the week. Everything is starting to get green. I love this time of year.

It is hot and humid here on Long Island in the summer. All that ocean around us. That must be what keeps us warmer all the time also.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rita, that's what I think too, about the ocean.

Yesterday's picture

Thumbnail by billyporter

Well, things are finially greening up in your yard. The grass around here actually only got green recently. It is hardly growing yet but I like that its green here and not brown. Not that there is much grass in my yard.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2010 1:56 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Laughing! I have to have some grass! It takes about an hour and a half to hand mow. I'll do that till I can't.

If I had more room I would have more lawn. But the lawn has been descreasing for years, being eatten up by ever expanding flowerbeds.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I hear you. I have to leave driving room around the house or it would get eaten up! I do like to mow tho!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Ah yes, spring is here. There are bits of excitement everywhere.

Thumbnail by magnolialover
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Martagon seedlings from a David Sims mix purchased a couple of years ago. Yes, I know they take forever to bloom from seed, but it is amazing to watch them grow up each year.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

And some other nice stalks, if I can keep those deer outta there ;)

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

And of course, weeding one bed at a time...this is something that is an all around season job!

It's nice to see what bulbs decided to do over the winter, where there was one or two there are now more. It amazes me every year at this time....all that goes on that we do not see.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wonderful, Tracey!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice to see the lilies.
Its still cold here but lilies are popping anyway.Tulips should open anyday now.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Very exciting! Tracey, I love your babies. I feel that my lilies are ahead of schedule here, but I could be wrong. Many are looking very big this year, and I've got a few of Steve's artichokes to wonder at. And lots and lots of babies.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a certain lily seedling from a certain seed giver on DG lily forum that I thought would flower last year, that didn't. It should be an OT and I think it has a large enough nose coming up that I should see its first flowers this year. But since it might be camera shy, I won't post its picture. Last year I blew it by posting the picture, I think. So this year it is wait and see. There are three.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................and I can't wait!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

There is nothing like spending a sunny spring day digging out garlic and ornithogalum. Only one lily stalk got wacked off. Could have been worse. It was a good day :-)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I feel your pain regarding the garlic. On the other hand, it might deter the rabbits a bit...

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

No rabbits here. Just neighbors' cats, possums and raccoons. And they all seem to love it and keep coming back. I guess they all think they live here!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

We have a couple feral cats around here that think the summer is quite inviting around here, they spend time napping in the lily forest. I'll be out weeding and jump ten feet (well, maybe more) when I don't notice them and they take off.

Not bad for a days work pard. Garlic mustard here is worse than ever. I notice it is particularly bad around the trees that the deer eat on the back fence line, so I bet it is that herd of deer spreading the seeds around. I gave up digging it out, because the root goes to China and I can never get it all. Ugh. There is a natural weed killer (Burnout II) that seems to kill it well, so I am hoping that will give me some control over that mess in back this year.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I really got behind! And I need to get moving now.

Beautiful pictures!

Bunnies and wild garlic here!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Oh, oh. Bunnies. Cute but no good for the garden.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its spring here.If it were warmer than 40's the tulips would be open.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/GardensApril

South Lake Tahoe, CA

ge- beautiful photos.
Gets me really anxious to see growth.
We're getting in another foot of snow on Tue-Wed. This is normal for us, just wish
that Spring was really here.

Love everyones photos!
Keep sending them.

:-)
Babette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.