Apropos of Nothing v.10

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

My mother died of breast cancer. She was about 5 months older than I am now.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Summer, I can understand not wanting the colonoscopy, (eek- alien invasion!) but why the aversion to mammograms? They're a little awkward, but not painful or anything. I've been doing them every two years, and I'm actually going to start going yearly after the next one.

I'm not shaking my finger at you, I'm just nosy. Er, I mean curious.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

For the less well endowed (like myself), mammograms are mildly painful, but I do them anyway. Possibly I have had not very competent or compassionate technicians.

All good ideas on the dentistry issue. I think it is definitely worth checking out the UW dental school. That has to be better than simply waiting for all the teeth to fall out.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Holly, They are painful for the well-endowed also but nothing one can't stand for a few seconds. I go yearly. Had a colonoscopy three years ago. Like you say the day before is the worst of it, and that's not so bad either. Just stay home for the day. Go to the dentist every six months for cleaning. Had 8 crowns done at once three years ago. Took six hours and my jaw hasn't been the same since. Had a dental implant done two years ago. Nothing much to that either.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I don't know, pony, they just don't interest me.

Jack's mother got poked wrong during a colonoscopy & the scar tissue makes her intestines back up & she has to stay in the hospital & get pumped out every once in awhile.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Well, one thing is for certain & that is we will eventually die. Not to be morose, but it is a fact.
As far as screenings go - I am somewhere this side of SK. I do not do them annually; more like every 3-4 yrs. Size does not matter - it hurts, and no, not at all like childbirth (which I DO remember - anesthesia did not kick in when needed), it is bearable but not a smile-maker.
I tend to think of health on a cellular level: feed your cells via food/supplements - the very best you can afford.
Keep moving - the human body was not made to sit. Have fun like a child - well, maybe not the children of today... I remember seeing them laughing & just being goofy, relaxed..

Willow, I'd love to know your thoughts on the dental implant. Looking at one next year - they are 'spensive!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Katye, my dad got a full set of dental implants -- he loved being able to chew everything he wanted for the first time since his teens.

And I'm definitely with you on the cellular level & the movement thing. I'm always shocked to open someone's pantry cabinet & find cookies & crackers & instant mashed potatoes & bags of chips & cake mixes.

We're the most technologically advanced civilization in history & we shovel crap into our bodies as fast as possible.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Instant mashed taters? That was a shock to me. I never heard of such a thing, being Irish/German! My Mom would never have gone for that one. She did do the Rice-a-Roni thing. gack! We set her straight...

Food that is alive is the best for me - I'm qualifying that, because not everything works well for everyone. I was a vegan for 4 years - I became ill. I don't metabolize soy proteins very well, & beans/legumes...let's not go there. I need to eat animal protein - but I don't require huge amounts. I found what works for me & I will stick to that until my quarterly blood panel shows a deficit. so far, so good.
I do not feel "right" when i eat certain types of processed food, so i don't. But i don't care what others eat. I do make good brownies, though! And yes, i will eat ONE. Definitely not a weekly thing. If I'm going to eat something "bad" - I want it make from whole ingredients.
Geez, i can hardly wait to start picking things from the garden, aka my produce section out back.
I am so jonesin'...

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Yeah, and I keep wondering when folks will learn that Bisquick is just flour, salt & baking powder.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

So many things to vent about today, so little time.

50-something men who think they're still "all that" and want their egos stroked make me slightly murderous especially when they call me 3 times a day while I'm on deadline & are all atwitter because they're going to have a blog on their new Web site. Like anyone really cares what he has to say.

I'm so sorry I ever went on a date NEVER AGAIN. Wish I didn't have to do this guy's *)((##%@ Web site.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Kayte, I would recommend the implants to anyone who needs it to chew. I wanted two more on the other side to make what teeth I have left even, but there is a nerve in the way and they would only do one, so I'm undecided. They feel just like real teeth.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Thanks Willow. My dentist told me I have a narrow bone profile in my lower jaw. I knew this from another dentist a while back. Bridge won't work there - other 2 teeth would be compromised, so an implant was recommended. I just wasn't sure about having something implanted and reacting negatively to it. It's quite an expensive procedure, but has great merit.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

SK -- is this the same guy you were going to jump in with all 3 feet? A bit impetuous perhaps?? Oh well, sounds like he may be a hard ditch but you'll do it.

Food - I have had numerous boys for dinner over the years who had NO idea that mashed potatoes did not come out of a box. How weird is that? How cheap are potatotes? How easy is it to boil and schmush them?

Dental gas (as opposed to the colonoscopy discussion) - I've never had the pleasure, although I would not turn it down.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, bone, it was. And thank goodness I let him waste a Sunday afternoon rather than my heading up to Long Beach thinking that he was sharper than he is.

I get spit-furious when boring, egotistical, ordinary people succeed in wasting my time.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Today when he managed to catch me on the phone & complain poutily that I hadn't picked up last night (I was on the phone with my brother), he bragged that he'd gotten his geoduck limit within 45 minutes but has, in the past, gotten his limit within 10 minutes & then had to help friends & strangers "spot" and get theirs. Plus, some random women in his stupid WorldMark hotel wanted to join him tomorrow in more geoduck hunting. I wonder whether he noticed that he was simply on speaker phone while I continued to type my art-grant application & wrestle with my printer.

Like, who brags about their ability to bag geoducks within 10 minutes?
Seriously. This guy reminds me of my boss at the Tribune, who was a total menace to productivity because all he could think of was the fact that he was 53 & therefore needing to prove his ability to attract the opposite sex (not that he probably ever really did) plus his relevance in a world that must have seemed as if it were speeding by.

I'll stop venting, maybe tomorrow, but right now I'm really wound up over why people are such self-absorbed time-sucks. There was another client I had to just put on speaker-phone today while he rambled on about his Catholic past & the fact that he was the baby of the family & therefore had trouble committing & maybe that's why he's never married & in fact some parishioners had suggested that he would make a great priest and ...

Thank you, Lord, for speakerphone.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, better to recognize it sooner as opposed to later, and not let him waste any more of your time.

SK: We actually cross-posted, but I think it is still relevant. Adios amigo.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2010 11:21 PM

Boxed mashed potatoes are not food. Blech. But I don't really care if other people eat them. What they eat is their own business. Yes, Katye does make good chocolate concoctions!
I've never found mammograms to hurt. I get one about every 3 years. But I don't get it annually. It has nothing to do with family history for me. Maybe I'll get a nasty surprise one day, but I doubt it. Come to think of it, I need to get mine this year. I have the lab slip. Just need to make the appointment. Don't bother yelling at me. I'm going.. I'm going..
With the newer machines, they are not nearly as bad as they used to be. But then, I have plenty to lay on the slab for the squeezing.
Portland, definitely find a dentist who has gas. My dentist says he never used to offer it, but when he did, his practice really started taking off. LOL! He's a nice guy.

This is the guy who ignored your dog, right?
People are such time-suckers because other people continue to listen to them, even by speaker phone. Sometimes you just have to 'go now'. Wow. His limit in Geoducks in 45 minutes! What a man! Next thing you know he'll be wanting to show you his sword collection, maybe a few nunchucks thrown in. Probably he could have been a secret agent or top-security level spy but he was too smart for the test. Dang, I hope all those women let him help them bag their geoducks.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I'll settle down shortly. I guess I just don't understand why he didn't internalize my "we're not suited romantically" email & NOT call me twice a day & then ask whether he can call me this evening. What kills me is that I lied & said that I was going to dinner. I don't want to lie to people and yet I feel a slight need to string this guy along because the Web site work he's offering will pay my mortgage for the rest of the year. But I'd rather wait tables if he bugs me much more.

And I just KNOW he thought he was killing it with me on Sunday, with his flowers, which I had to admit being surprised by; and his Trader Joe's coffee, which he made me smell; and the brownies, which I hate & wasn't polite about; and the white wine, which I also hate but was polite about; and the firewood, over which I had to exclaim how wonderfully dry it was & how very much there was, and his trying to figure out the color of my eyes, which I don't know & don't care about.

Grrrr ... I feel like pelting him with millions of tiny hail balls over there in Long Beach.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

so this would not be a death by kitten, I take it?

(Judi)Portland, OR

Pix I have never found mammos to be painful, either. But then I also have, as you so colorfully put it, plenty to lay on the slab. LOL

My dentist-with-gas search starts today.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I've never met an architect who wasn't well endowed. I wonder what the correlation is.

Katye, it would be Death by Geoduck. The business end, whichever one that is.

(Judi)Portland, OR

It was such a nice day today - spent all day in the yard instead of studying. The cats were lying in the sun belly-up.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I spent some time in the greenshed setting up the grow light, seed pots and heating mat. No seeds planted but that is the next step.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I drove to Newport to run errands -- the sea was as wild as I've seen it yet. I had to put on my windshield wipers driving through Depoe Bay, can you believe that?!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Time for... A NEW THREAD! WooHoo! (boy, we yack a lot, huh?) ;p

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084949/

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Well, let me vent slightly again. That guy had never heard of:

1) Asperger's syndrome
2) Handel's "Messiah"
3) Lynne "Squeaky" Fromme

I mean, that's a pretty wide range of things of which to be completely ignorant, agreed?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Many men don't pay attention to things like the above.

But I'll bet he'll remember the 'color of your eyes'! SNort!! Wow! Way to overdo it, Mr. Man!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Sounds insecure and unobservative (as my DH says). Try not to use that word after hearing it for 30 years.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Willow, haha. Some of those words sound so good you can't help but keep them in your aural memory. I have a lot of "kid" words and phrases I've heard over the years that come out of their own accord every so often.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Or words you have always mispronounced in your head while reading, which sometimes slip out... like saw-you-tay for saute.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

When my daughter was very young and learning sentences, every word she didn't know, she used 'munga'. She would talk for several minutes just like an adult with mungas among the other words. We still use that, especialy now that she will soon be 50 and is experiencing that loss of noun recall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.