Iris Swap 2010

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Named iris, count me in. Thank you.

Santa Ynez, CA

Sharon I got you down, some of the others still need to send me their addresses......I have a few people doing the noids, so those that want to, sign in for that too........

Thumbnail by makj
Santa Ynez, CA

that is Tropical Delight

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

ohhhhh,love that!

Santa Ynez, CA

awesome isn't it????

Awesome indeed! Love it

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous coloration on Tropical Delight!

Maxine

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Sign me in for named and/or NOID. Look forward to the fruition of this trade. I will send my address by DMail. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Santa Ynez, CA

Just wanted to remind everyone on the swap, to make sure your irises are good quality and 8 different varieties, don't send 3 of the same iris etc... remember you want to give some that you would be happy with.....let's make this exciting:)

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Mine will be placed in Bleach water & Rinsed & Dried Before I share them . Not hard to do & I know there will be
No Bugs of sorta or ANTS :))) & I do not like to send my dirt to anyone else :) I need all my Dirt :).
Wishing you all a great weekend .

susie

Santa Ynez, CA

LOL, on the dirt, you would laugh if you saw me yesterday, evening getting a little weeding in, I really pound the clumps of weeds, it kills me to toss off any dirt, I bought soil before and it just is habit to make sure I get it all off:)
I too bleach my iris, and dry them thoroughly, before shipping them.....

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I too, prepare mine with washing and bleach bath. Wish everyone would.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Someone should post how and why and makj can make it part of the requirement for the swap. I also bleach mine before sending. I would feel horrible is I accidently sent something I didn't mean to.

As for pictures of mine I just do not have the INK To do so Just to exspensive But They will be marked with the correct name on them .
EDIT TO SAY
Pending on clump I will usually use 1 1/2 cup of Bleach to a 5 gal bucket of water & Leave them soak for sometime's up to an Hr Just depends On How Dirty , then I sometime scrub with a bristle brush sofly . not to hurt the Rhizome.
but usually the bleach will clean them up will .

JUST BE SURE TO USE Cold Water WITH THeE BLEACH & RINSE WELL WITH CLEAR COLD WATER.

ALSO Check the bottom of the Rhizome to check for any type of worms burrowing into them.

I also change my Bleach water for each rhizomes , but I Also save Ice cream Buckets for they make nice little
buckets to wash them in also .

Hope this helps & Sure you all have more Helpfull Hints .

susie

This message was edited Mar 13, 2010 6:23 PM

I wash mine in regular tap water then put them in a solution of one cup household bleach to 10 cups of water for 10 to 20 minutes. Rinse. Let dry for a couple of days on an old window screen and package up.

Vail, AZ

I'm new to the iris swap thing. If someone could fill me in I might be interested. I have around 80 varieties that I could swap. I'm trying to sell them on the internet but I'm sure someone might have something I'd be willing to trade for. my web site is irismelodies.com if you want to see what I have extras of.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
Santa Ynez, CA

we choose at least 8 different iris, TB's and we draw names, and send to the person you get. July or August.....

Vail, AZ

count me in.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Redhead...your pictures are beautiful.

Hope you join in the trade.

Debbie

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Where are you selling your iris redhead? Nice pictures. Susan

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I agree with Happgarden, Makj.
I am a newbie, so maybe you already have a simple set of rules for the swap..?
..... is it July yet? ha ha! I guess I need to move to a warmer climate where my Iris will grow for a longer period of time... I love Colorado... but our winters sure are long...

Anyway. Looking forward to the swap! I sold some of my babies on Craigslist last year and I prep them the same way as had been previously mentioned by others.... trimmed and sterilized.

Thumbnail by naomimade
Santa Ynez, CA

those iris look good naominmade, and for those who have not d-mailed me their address please do so thanks Marie

DO YOU HAVE MY ADDRESS ??

Santa Ynez, CA

deejay9....nope please send me it, thanks.....

Santa Ynez, CA

i had a pleasant surprise, one of my SDB from that swap last year was blooming yesterday, and what a cutie, thanks Joe!!!!!

Tranquillity, CA(Zone 9a)

YepYepYep,,,I'm in too, for named.

Vail, AZ

I'd prefer to know what I'm getting, Nothing worse than duplicates.

Spicer, MN

The only problem with that (duplicates) is when some Iris addicts have 300 to 800 and it's hard not to get duplicates. Perhaps
when the names are drawn, one could give a list of what was available to the 'drawee'.

Makj, I thank you for all you are doing to make this exchange fun and enjoyable.

Santa Ynez, CA

thanks husker11, i appreciate it, I hope everyone feels good about the job I am doing, I am trying to be fair and keep things fun

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't care if I get duplicates. I don't even care if they are named or noid. I just want iris.I will be delighted with whatever I get. I'm just happy that I get to join and that someone will send me some wonderful plants.

Marti

Spicer, MN

Exactly! You couldn't have said it better! It's an exchange of gifts from our Garden to your's.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

I agree with you husker11. I already have growing 535 cultivars and so far have ordered another 46-- and not even looked at the Schreiner's, Cooley's, or Keppel's catalogs yet this year. I guess I'm officially an addict. I also have approximately 1000 seedlings growing and will have another 500+ from last year's crosses.
I also want to thank Marie for organizing the swaps--both the named and NOID.
Dennis

Santa Ynez, CA

thanks guys, I agree I like the "from my garden to yours" , it is such a nice thing to share with people who have just as much passion for irises as I do:) thanks Dennis, hope everyone feels the same.......

If there is anyone here who might have some seeds to share Would love to give them a try Never have grown from seeds . I Have bought & traded most of mine . & have not found any seed pods over the 4 yrs I have grown them Why is this ??? . just dmail me as to what you would like for them .

susie

I have 14 new ones coming, I just can't believe how some of mine increased! I already have the ones I will be sending picked out for my partner. Kathy

pic of Edith Wolford

Thumbnail by

Beautiful picture of Edith W., one that's been around awhile but still high on the priority list and one I do not have, yet. Queen's Circle. Loaded with buds.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Q C is lovely! Edith still has never rebloomed for me yet had it since 07, maybe this year??? Maybe never?

OK, dd95172 I think we can consider you an addict...LOL With that many iris how do you keep the grasses down? That makes me crazy and I probably only have 30 or 40 different cultivars of iris. The other problem I have is if I don't get them early enough in the season they don't get rooted quick enough and they get heaved out of the ground with our crazy winters. Just found 3 more that were heaved from last year! I checked several times this winter and we had lots and lots of snow. I am so disappointed cause I don't think they are going to make it! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There is an iris farm not far from me and he will sell selected ones in May when they are blooming, I get them in the ground and they always make it and never had a heaving problem.

Gainesville, TX

I am in for the named varieties

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

How many participants -- is there a separate thread? The irises are just coming online here now -- seen them firm up and starting to put up 2010 leaves... Spring is here!!!!

Roni

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.