What was the most important feature of the last container that you purchased?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 201 votes:

Price
(30 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Purpose (what specific need did you have?)
(64 votes, 31%)
Red dot

Size (big, little, short, tall? Tell us!)
(58 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Material (what is your favorite?)
(15 votes, 7%)
Red dot

People purchase plant containers? (I scrounge anything suitable and free!)
(21 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I don't garden in containers. (why?)
(13 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

I didn't want a container w/ fiberglass because I was growing something edible.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

scrounge 8 inch pots for next years lilium sales.scrounge broccoli boxes from the supermarket for seed planting

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

g-whizz, scrounging is good! I love re-purposing containers like that.
Barb

Fresno, CA(Zone 9a)

mine was size. It had to be big I had some shampoo ginger I planted in one and some cannas in another one so they had to be big.

Horse Shoe, NC

I agree that one of the selections should have been appearance. Most of my pot purchases are 'spur of the moment' because I like the way they look....I'll figure out where to put it later....

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

I voted "size" as I bought several very large pots last year. I chose to "retire" my garden space last year because the soil seemed to be getting tired after several crops, despite the fact that I rotate my crops as much as I can. Since my garden just isn't all that large, it doesn't help all that much! Anyway, I decided to cover most of the area with cardboard, then chopped leaves, etc. and still wanted to grow a few veggies, so the pots had to be big enough to accomodate eggplants, peppers, etc.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I don't garden in containers because I forget to water them. :-(

(Except for a few fall mums and a sedum or two)

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

For me, in this order, colour, size, material, and I didn't vote because it wasn't listed like this...

Minden, LA

I rarely buy containers but I needed a decorative one of a specific size for a houseplant needing a bigger home.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I use containers for houseplants. Has to be the right size. Want it to look good (no converted milk jugs). Not going to pay excessive $ for a piece of shaped, colored, and cooked clay or plastic - especially if they are machine made.

Lambertville, MI

In am a lover and aficionado of all things terra-cotta. I love old and new, plain and patterned, tiny and huge, set squarely and layed on their side, moss covered or overgrown! So obviously my vote was material - then everything else (size, color, shape, etc.) is secondary. By the way, glad to be back in Dave's Garden counting down the days to Spring!

Thumbnail by Mekales
Mcdonough, GA(Zone 7b)

I don't garden in containers because it's so hot here that I can't keep them watered. I love the way they look, though, and would like to, but it just isn't practical.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I voted purpose, but size and price factored into it. i rescued two giant boston ferns out of a corporate flower bed in late September. The building management had declared it to be chrysanthemum season, so the summer bed had to go. They were a gorgeous part of the planting and grew to an enormous size. There were four, I think, but I could only rescue two. I needed two large plastic pots to house them because I didn't have a pair of pots the correct size. Luckily, I went to Lowe's on a good day and they had the 18" green plastic pots on sale marked down to 5.99. These are huge gorgeous ferns. They are going to appear as decorations at my Garden Club's flower show in March and i will take pictures of them in place.
Martha

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I didn't vote, but I always look for containers with proper drainage or that would be easy to drill holes into for drainage.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

The most important feature?

It was empty.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I voted purpose. They have to suit my plans, and they have to be self-watering and of a sturdy material that won't crack in the winter because they get left outside. The only gardening I do is in containers, so they have to suit the purpose.

Quote from Kylaluaz :
The most important feature?

It was empty.

LOL, I just loved that response

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Sashagirl,
Especially that it was in the past tense....;)

BB,
Exactly. Heehee

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I finally got off my lazy a** and took a pic of the planter I talked about above.
I'm thinking about putting a corkscrew rush in it. Kinda "Medusa-y". I was going to paint it blue since my house is white the blue trim, but I may just leave it black...
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I like that! My kids accuse me of looking at most objects as flower pots. I use bowls, teapots, aquariums, baskets, I am experimenting with half logs that have rotted out centers, just about anything if it will hold soil, drain and have enough space for plant roots. If you are potting up hens and chickens, space doesn't even have to be a big consideration. What's the most unusual thing you have ever turned into a flower pot?
Martha

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Now, *that's* a great question!

and depending on length of time the plant was in there, I think I might say "my hand." LOL! but then, that is not unusual, is it. ;-)

baskets, and some plastic containers I was able to create drainage in is all..... I have an old teakettle I hope the bottom will eventually please god rust out, so I can use it to plant in but so far it is smugly holding its integrity, *sigh*

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Drill

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

ya I know, don't have one.

rust is sometimes faster than my willingness to shop.

;-)

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I found a couple of old solder pots which reminded me of Harry Potter's "Pewter Cauldron" for Potions class. I can't do any drainage in them as they are heavy duty metal but occaisionally I will pot up a few annuals in them for a display.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.