Leaf galls

Floydada, TX(Zone 7a)

Has anyone had any experience with leaf galls? I'm having a terrible time with them on my red oaks. One tree in particular is plagued with them. Each spring when the first new leaves emerge on this tree it looks like it is covered with clusters of green grapes. I'm not kidding, they don't even resemble leaves. The tree will eventually put out normal leaves and the gall-infested leaves gradually dry up and turn brown. But it is not very attractive, as you can imagine, and I'm afraid this is taking a toll on the tree's health. Every book I've consulted says there is no treatment for leaf galls, but aside from being ugly they do no serious harm. I have a hard time believing that when a tree is as infested as this one. I've tried using a systemic insecticide, but it hasn't helped. I'm considering using a winter dormant oil spray.

Any ideas, anyone?

Hi Lonestar,that's a good idea,I too would spray in fall and again in spring' I have the same probs with my nectarine but didn't have the weather needed to spray this spring.

This was the 1st yr.I didn't spray in spring and it had galls but soon went away. I picked off the ones I could reach and trashed them away from the tree too'Some oaks have problems,don't know much about them,only what owners have told me' Good luck,you might also post this in the tree/shrub forum for maybe more responses,I do that' Sis'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.