Running Bamboo (Phyllostachys bissetii) in pots?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Is that possible or should potted Bamboos be the clumping kind? I ordered some Phyllostachys bissetii to use as a screen but my room-mate says digging a big trench and doing the whole shebang for a screen isn't all necessary as a screen. I would want the full screen, but it isn't my deck. Unfortunately, I've ordered the plants which I don't really regret, they do seem like a decent choice. They, (Springhill) even claims evergreen so we'll see. And the hardiness here seems okay -10 - -20, we'll see there also..lol.
If running bamboo in a pot isn't recommended I would still be willing to dig a trench and use a barrier.
I know ordering then asking a ? isn't highly thot of, sorry bout that, but this dilemma was kinda presented after I ordered. : )
Thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know about doing them in pots--depending on how fast they grow you may find yourself having to repot and/or divide pretty frequently. Also, keep in mind that being in pots tends to knock about a zone off the hardiness, and you're about at the bottom end of hardiness for these anyway so in pots they may not make it through your winters (unless you sink the pots in the ground).

Also--it sounds like you've already ordered them so it may be too late, but did you read the comments about Springhill in Garden Watchdog? http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/188/ There are definitely places you can get bamboo from that have higher ratings.

Yeah, I see they aren't rated too good there dangit, I knew I missed something. And those replies "thanks for your kind words" and "we strive for 100% customer service" geez, I hope I don't become a number, that would be a bummer. I am pretty skeptical about the $25 off part. The cust. service lady had not ever even heard of it and its at the very top of their website..lol I'll try to remember to make an entry in Garden Watchdog after I see how my dealings and all work out with the plants.
I did read an interesting nugget at Bamboosourcery - http://bamboosourcery.com/cat_frame.cfm?sec=31&row=4
Thats a frame, hope that links okay, its at "runners and clumpers pros and cons" or a link like that there.
"Runners are recommended for:

* Fast privacy screens with quick fill-in, in narrower spaces than clumpers.
* Greatest height in the SF Bay Area – some species grow up to 50 ft. In more tropical climates, some giant timbers may reach 60-70 ft.
* Large open groves.
* Ground covers and erosion control.
* Container planting.
* Less expensive plants (but may require root barrier installation).
* Greater variety of species to choose from. "
That hadn't occurred to me about decreasing their hardiness in pots, that wouldn't be good. I'll have to bring that up, that isn't good. I hope I don't get some little twigs that might or might not grow, that would stink. I need to bone up on their return policy.
Thanks ec : )

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, they do have about 50% positive comments--so you've got a 50/50 chance of getting good plants! LOL Hopefully you can at least get your money back if you don't like what they send...and Bamboo Sourcery is a great place to try getting some more if it doesn't work out with Springhill.

The hardiness thing is just a general rule of thumb--I've grown some things in pots that are only hardy to zone 9 and they've been fine, but it's a good thing to be aware of. Since there's a lot less soil in a pot than in a garden bed, it isn't insulated as well so it changes temperature much more quickly and ends up getting colder than the soil in the garden bed. That can cause problems for some plants that might otherwise have been hardy. If you sink the pots in the ground for the winter that will eliminate that problem since then the soil in the pot will have the benefit of insulation from the rest of the soil in the bed.

Yeah 50% is better than a stick in the eye!
I hope it don't come to a refund..lol
I do like bamboosourcery the more I read.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.