Willows Greenhouse

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

We have begun to make progress. First I found out I could not put the shed against the property line, it has to be five feet away. Soooo-Ruth came over Sunday and we moved a flowerbed over to where we were going to put the shed and cleaned the old bed up so the shed can go there. This was the old spot.

Edited to say--with the plants from the old flowerbed planted in it.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 4:08 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is the spot where the old bed was and where the shed will go.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Dean was here today and got his lines done and the holes dug for the pillars the shed will rest on. It is raining now will get pictures in the morn. and post each day so you can see how it goes.

Picture is of the original spot before the new bed was done. Sorry for the confusing order but I can't really see those small thumbprints to well. So I have to wait until I preview them to see what I have.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Fun project, hope it all goes well.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Willow, I am so excited for you! Can't wait to see how the progress comes along!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

It is going to be marvelous to have your new structure. Do I remember right that it will be part shed, part greenhouse? I'm looking forward to seeing how the construction turns out.

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

I am following along anxiously, I am so envious! Your process will help shape what I come up with in the future. Thanks for sharing with us.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

That looks like a really pretty area. A shed/greenhouse is going to look great there! I can't wait to watch this progress.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is Monday change.

Edited to add: The flower bed on the left had rotten timbers around it, so Dean removed those and scooped the dirt back a bit. I will be out there cleaning that up on Wednesday. I am going to slowly change all the timber for stone. Will probably take a couple years.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 5:28 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is Tuesdays change. Just pouring the cement into the pillars. They wil be setting up tomorrow, so no work until Thursday.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is just another angle.

I have some hellebores, crocus and anemones in the bed under the rhody and pieris, so I will have to dig those out and re-plant the bulbs. They were in the very front.

Edited to say the shed will be sitting between those two window, but out from them about 3'.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 5:38 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I like this spot - you have room to put beds all around the new shed/greenhouse. It's clearly going to be solidly built.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Wow, I'm impressed, Willow. For what's it worth, I like the timbers, unless they're all rotted.

That's going to be lovely! A very nice setting. I'm looking forward to seeing it 'grow'.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

The timbers have been in since '90 and most of them are very rotten. time to class it up a bit. Raining today, maybe no digging.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Willow, so nice! Y'know, I think I'm liking the new location almost better than the original. IMHO, It can be a destination/focal point as well as a "greenshed".
Your new bed is pretty with the stepped brickwork also. Are you going to train something on a small trellis against it?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, I have a climbing hydrangea on the other side of the wall that has never done to well. I may try another one on the new side. Or maybe just annual vines.
The trellis that is there is supporting a tree peony. Hope it lives. Need more plants in the new bed. Darn, I have to go shoppng.

I like your 'greenshed'. I will adopt that if you don't mind.^_^

Willow, looks like progress is going well. Replacing the timbers with stone will be a wonderful addition to your world. Big labor and big bucks, but well worth the final result I think. My raised beds in front were made with flitches (sawmill scraps) which are starting to deteriorate now. I knew that they wouldn't be permanent, but had to go for "cost effective" when I built the gardens. I would like to refurbish at least the front sections with blocks as it will look so much better. Maybe if I save my pennies and stay out of the garden stores, I might be able to swing it this fall.

And BTW, isn't it a real SHAME :) that you have to go shopping?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I have some black rocks and some gray blocks. I prefer the black rocks but I have places where they would have to be very large to hold the dirt and I don't have that much room. So maybe a combo of both. When we were getting stone, we went to Kennedy Creek quarry south of Shelton and loaded the toyota for about 3$ a load. Many trips but not many dollars. We were twenty years younger also.

Wonder if I could spray paint the gray blocks black?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I must have been flying too much the concrete pillars don't look level. I Am sure they are. Nice location!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I didn't think they were level either. It's the ground though not the pillars.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Willow! Yes, you may absolutely adopt "greenshed"! It was really your invention, anyway :)

What plants are you thinking about adding?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That will take some thought and a trip or two to the nurseries. Yeah!

Have to be deer-proof. The little buck I feed is coming really close to me and sniffing. He's so cute.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Today's picture--Floor in done. Tomorrow framed walls?

That piece of tubing sticking up on the right side used to be a sprinkler head for that flower bed. Dean is going to fix it up as a dripper so I can have a vine climbing the side and a small flower bed on that side. Think I will do containers on this side.
If anyone has any ideas, hop right in. It will have a dutchdoor.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 3:41 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Wow, I'm so impressed! The setting is lovely and you guys do such nice neat work. If that was my house, there would be tools and junk and all kinds of ugly stuff laying around.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

HI Gwen, It isn't us that is doing this, it is a friend who is a handyman and does lots of stuff for us. And he picks up all the tools and mess and takes it all home with him each day.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, I am still very impressed with him and you!

Very Very nice!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

This is looking sooo good. What a sturdy base. You weren't kidding when you said this handyman knows how to build.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Willow how exciting! I have GH envy! It is going to be fabulous!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Ditto what Holly said. I'm having major handyman envy!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Look at this! Isn't it loverly.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And a side view. We were going to put a window in this end but since storage is so limited, Dean is going to make a fake window and hang it on the outside.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And the other side. There will be a dutchdoor on the right side and another fake window on the left side,on this face.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I think I will just straighten up this dirt and leave this flowerbed in the same place lined with black rock. I think it will look okay right up to the greenshed.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This will be another little bed on the side. A vine and some succulent? Maybe a hellebore or two?

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

View from the greenshed workbench.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

View to the left. Neighbors garage.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And to the right. My cat always sits in this spot on top of the wall.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh my, my, my. Just delightful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.