PollyK has a birthday today!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Just wow pictures on that thread, and the video done was awe inspiring.

So what did you see in the line of eagles, and herons? Any pics you can post?

I love antique stores. Get anything good?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, The Susquehanna River was so swollen from the rains and melting snow that the adjacent town of Port Deposit was flooding. The Dam had to open up 5 more gates and created rapids and hugh mists down below in the part of the river where the eagles and herons feed. So I only got to see them circling high up in the air and trying to attack smaller birds while flying.

I did see one massive great Blue Heron leave it's nest and fly directly overhead of me, but my camera was back in the car at that point as my fingers were so cold that I couldn't operate it. It was about 8 degrees out with a wind chill of about -9. We were there, right on the river banks at sun up and it was so numbing cold, that my face hurt. But I loved it anyway. DSO said the best photo ops of the day was watching me imitate the eagles flying! The nearby bird watching group was quite amused also, especially as I was so bundled up in clothing.

About 9:30 am, we gave up and went back to the town for breakfast and to start exploring the town. That's just about when the snow started. It snowed all day and the next night. We hoofed around by foot all over the town, in deeper and deeper snow. Good thing I didn't buy anything breakable because I did take one fall. But I was OK and we carried on. No big purchases, just a small iron bird feeder and a little frog house. A couple of nice things caught my eye, but nothing yelled "Take me home". There are way to many ducks for sale in that town. They even had a decoy museam.

But walking through the residential districts with all of the victorian homes and gardens was very nice. There are beautiful old tree lined streets with massive old trees and gardens with lots of nice garden ornaments, which really stand out in the winter. It was also very interesting to see the lagoons of the Chesapeake frozen and all of the water fowl trying to break the ice in search of food. The Magnolias were forming large buds. There were many beautiful specimens of large flowering trees, so I may take a ride down there in the spring.

I usually like to look for snow on my birthday and always go somewhere north. It didn't occur to me that I would find it by going south. I was worried that it would be too warm to walk around the town in heavy winter clothing. NOT I had been hoping to find a captain to let me crew a sail, but even I would not brave that cold on an open boat. The winds were very strong. Great sailing, but my hair would have been solid ice crystals.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It sounds like it was a lot of fun. Although I must say I want to go warmer on my birthday, I would love to see the eagles and herons.

We went to the lobster festival in Maine a few years ago, and came back rte 1 and saw lots of antique garden decor. I loved it.

Lebanon, OR

You know with the economy as it is I wonder why the antique stores have not seemed to lower many things. Trust me I know the mark up on antiques as Brother and his wife were dealers and many times I worked the shows with them and when not busy would do research.

I believe everyone in business needs to make money or why be in business.

But I have been looking for garden antiques here and nothing within reason. I have several older watering cans and shears and things but wanted to do more, but at the prices it is not going to happen.

How are the prices where you guys are?

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Horrendous.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow, love the eagles flying pictures, and I do LOVE those antiques. I am with ya'll on the prices though. I think I will have to stick to 'junkin' when I finally take another trip up to the Northeast... if gas prices stay down and taxes don't drain our small savings...

Raleigh, NC

stormy, when you mentioned crewing a sail, that brought back some fun memories. Never crewed a bigger ship, just little sailboats. But what fun!

Dee, there's a place just down the road from me that sells nothing but garden antiques. As many times as I've driven by and ooohed and aaaahed, I'd never once seen it open. About a month ago it was, and we went and browsed. Oh Dear Lord - the prices! only millionaires can shop this place. And everything looked so old and worn out!

I wouldn't mind finding some places that do reproductions. There's one place along the route to Epperson's place that does garden bronzes.

Lebanon, OR

there is a recycle yard in Brooks that sometimes have great repro's and original, just ever getting them open when in the right closes to dig. They have gone up but still cheaper than most. When I went to a friends garden the other day, he had a gate, that he nothing but old tools welded on it and it was cool, sheep shears, pruners, old sickle, towel, misc and it was wonder, even my favorite a dragonfly!

D

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

We are very lucky in Pennsylvania. It seems to be the Antiquing capital of the east. Whenever I am anywhere on the east coast, at different Antique centers and shows I often hear the dealers speaking of going to Pa to load up on some new finds.

Of course, there are some really expensive antique shops, but there are many that are very reasonable. There are lots of flea markets that include better antiques for sale. We have quite a few large antique centers and towns that are known for the conscentration of antique dealers. One is Adamstown, which is located half way between Lancaster and Philadlephia. DSO calls it the recycling center of the world. Dealers from most of the East come there to sell at their semi-annual extravaganzas.

My favorite is an auction and flea market that is only open on Monday mornings in Perkiomenville, Pa. There are tables and sale areas, where I often make great finds, especially for the garden. But the absolute most fun are the live auctions. Most of the bidders are antique dealers from all of the midatlantic and northeast states. The prices are outrageously cheap, but the items often need some work. If you are willing to hang around till the different items come up, you can almost always win what you want at a price you are willing to pay. It is mostly dealers bidding, and of course, they can't go as high in price as a consumer.

Havre de Grace prices were a mixed bag. Nothing was cheap. Some things were reasonable, but most were expensive and some downright larcenous.

I find that the southern states have a lot more to offer in the way of garden ornaments. There are some to be had here, but they are not as abundant as in the lower states. The area around Memphis is another great antiquing area with very reasonable prices.

Bonjon, the biggest boat I've ever crewed on was a 45 footer. I really enjoy hands on sailing.

Polly, I've stopped in a number of those antique shops on Rt# 1 in Maine and made a few nice finds. That is a great area for exploring.

South Hamilton, MA

Need garden ornaments which can stand the winter. Concrete turtle & winged lion stay outside. My English bronze ornament comes in for the winter. I was told he could stay outside, but since I had to spend the farm, he does not.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

IrisMa, I've found that not all concrete ornaments can take the winter. I'm not sure how to tell which ones can, other than by trying them.

I have a lot of concrete and iron in the garden. Even the iron really takes a beating. I do spray it from time to time, but it always needs more work.

Raleigh, NC

true, stormy. water seeping into a crack then refreezing will break concrete same way it breaks rock.

Oh, Polly, look what I found! was looking for a photo of something...

from 2009 Nationals - Pretty Polly

Thumbnail by bonjon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Dee, my Cousin Betty does estate sales in Portland. Has for many years. She is one of experts in the area. Let me know what you are looking for and what price range and maybe she know where to find it. Also, we could just ditch both DH's and go their for a visit. When the roses are blooming.

Lebanon, OR

Hey hey Sharon that is a great idea...I want older things from the garden say anything under 25.00 if possible.

D

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That sounds like a good price range to me! I don't know how much of Polly's Birthday thread we should take up with this, but last spring I found this nice iron chair for $25. I still haven't done anything with it, even to choose a color for it. It is extremely well made. The grass guy was coming the day I took this photo, so I just stuck it in the bed under the apple tree where there was a bare spot from something that didn't overwinter.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have 7 of those chairs. Bought them 9 years ago. They have a 42" round table that goes with them. Mine are black with glazed green infused. I like that color but I took three apart and painted them espresso to match the love seat on the upstairs front patio. They are a pain to take apart and put back together but they are heavy and do not blow around in the wind. And they were no $25.00. You got a good buy. The table has a glass top and I am going to mosaic it sometime soon. But I am cheating there because one of the marble/granite shops has them already put together and all you need to do is lay your grout and seal. A little pricey but I will probably cave and go pick out one. I think I should do that soon because no one around here is building so those kind of shops are going out of business.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I bet that's very pretty Sharon. I wish that I knew you all were interested in old garden tools. I saw a really nice pair of ancient garden shears there for $20. I didn't buy them, as they would just have become another part of my junque collection. There was a very interesting large gate for sale, but I didn't ask it's price, judging from the other prices in that shop.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 7:12 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Take up all the birthday thread you want. Keeps reminding me how old I am now, eyuck.

My neighbor finds a lot of garden ornamentation at various auctions. I got a bench, and a fountain from him this year. Will post pics in the spring. But really cheap. The fountain has frogs spitting into the water.

Thanks for the picture Bonjon. So nice to see an iris that's my namesake. There is a lily too, and it gosh awful ugly.

Love the chair, Mary.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Haven't forgotten you, Polly. This AM pic of the hellebore
you sent to me in '08. No blooms yet but so far the rabbits
haven't eaten it as they did last year.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Polly, I love fountains with Frogs.

Dee, That gate you were speaking of, was it a wood or metal gate?

Lebanon, OR

Stormy it was a metal gate, standard chain link but then all the metal stuff was welded on and loved it.

Want to figure out where to put a gate and start looking. The only place I can do one right now is under an arch way and it does not show up.

D

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I was thinking they would look neat on a gate in one of those wooden privacy fences and/or also welded onto a metal arbor. Now you've got me thinking. I know where to get a lot of old garden tools very cheaply.

I have this piece of fence that I bought 2 years ago. It was about 4 feet wider than you see here. I cut the two end sections off as it was really too big to work anywhere. I paid $15 for this. I kept the side pieces in case I ever wanted to reattach them or set them up on either side of the center section. This fall I decided that I would paint it and in the spring use it as a support for Delphiniums.

Now I'm thinking about using those side sections to make a decorative tool covered gateway to a new path I'm thinking of making to a new area I might create in one of the beds.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 7:08 PM

Thumbnail by stormyla
Raleigh, NC

you are lucky, oldgardenrose. I adore hellabores, but I've yet to get one to stay alive in my shady areas. am told I should try again now that we're pretty much out of the drought.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I think Polly said it was one of her own hybrids. It came in a small
nursery pot with the best and freshest root system I had ever seen
in a potted plant. It is in sandy-on-top-of clay soil in full miday to
evening sun and always has lush green leaves and stems until
freezing weather.

Lebanon, OR

Stormy, that was a steal! I would think your idea would be super. Now once done you must share a picture of it with us.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It was one of my own hybrids :). Thank you Jerry. I sent one to Victor and that bloomed. If I can find a picture I will post it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here 'tis.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Very Pretty Polly. Thanks, Dee.

Lebanon, OR

Oh Polly I did not know you did Helleborus, I LOVE them and have several and actually I let the species one go to seed to see how much different it will be.

My doubles I bought not one doubled...but last year was the first year for them to bloom.

D

Raleigh, NC

oh Polly! that's luscious! but I thought hellaborus was a shade plant? that's how they sell it here.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hellebores would be shade plants in your area, Bonnie.

Thanks Dee. It was a cross between two singles. You might get doubles the second year, but I doubt it.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Although I'm a few hrs late Happy Birthday Polly.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Why, thank you!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm a few days late! I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Polly!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much Pard. I'll keep on celebrating, no problem.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

love that hellabore. I have one that just sits and maybe needs a new site.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.