January Weather - Winter Wonderlands of All Kinds

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I can't get anymore to post, so it will have to wait. Anyway, here's the weather report:

Currently At 10:36AM
Flurries
31°F
RealFeel®
22°F
Winds: E
at 9mph
Light Snow
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 28° F
Pressure: 30.09 in
Visibility: 7 Miles
Tonight
Snow
Low: 20°F
RealFeel®: 10°F
Sunset: 5:38 PM
Today
Ice
High: 34°F
RealFeel®: 26°F
Sunrise: 7:12 AM

This retarded thing says we're getting light snow, I hate to say it but you can't hear light snow land on your roof!

Winter Storm Warning in effect until midnight CST tonight...

Today
Sleet...light freezing rain and rain. Snow accumulations up to 1 inch. Ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. Highs in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Tonight
Cloudy. A chance of sleet in the evening. A chance of snow. Lows in the lower 20s. North winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening...decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. The chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're getting the same weather as Don, just a bit earlier. :-) I'll be interested in watching your pond's development, too, Don. We have talked about putting a little pond in our front yard. It probably won't happen this year, though.

We like Fawlty Towers, too, Rann. :-)

Have fun with your brother, Celia!

I love the door frame corners, Ric!! They look terrific!

Well, our little chilly front doesn't look like much of anything compared to what all of you are getting. It's down to 50° now, and still dropping. (I always do Alt +0176 to make the degree sign... I didn't know Alt +248 would do the same thing. LOL)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CST (8 min ago)
Temperature 50 °F 10 °C
Dew Point 46 °F 8 °C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.7 mb
Wind Speed 15 MPH 13 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340°
Ceiling 6500 ft 1981 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 48.9°F / 9.4°C
6 hour max temperature ending 11:53am CST : 60.1°F / 15.6°C
3 hour precipitation ending 11:53am CST : 0.22"
Rest of today Cloudy. A chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning, then a slight chance of rain in the afternoon. Breezy. Highs in the mid 50s to lower 60s. Temperature falling into the mid 40s in the afternoon. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent in the morning decreasing to 20 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Mostly cloudy. Much colder. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Hyvää päivää. In the last week temperatures here have fluctuated between -8 and -20 celsius. Today was -20; but didn't feel as cold as yesterday because the wind had dropped. Forecast to rise to a balmy -7 on Sunday. Finns are happy, saying 'a real Finnish winter. Haven't had one of those for several years.'

Marsue, you're just a strippling. Wait till you're my age.

Pat

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Ric - My cousin also has a tractor. We spent about a week this summer at his place up in Centerville, digging out his 1/2 acre pond. When I told him about enlarging my pond, he said he could bring his tractor over and we would soon have the entire back yard dug up.

While working on his pond, we took a break and drove our tractors up the steep part of a hill. We were sitting there on our tractors, talking when I said, "Darrell, do you think we will ever grow up?"

He said, "I hope not."

I am 63 and he is 61.

Marylyn - Aw come on, jump in with the rest of us and get started on your pond. Heck, I'll even bring my tractor over and tear up your yard too.

Don

Picture after the rain this morning.

Thumbnail by dgal
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Crissy thanks for explaining about snowing in CA, I thought this wasn't possible!
Ric, is that paint ? I love the pattern!
Don, welcome and thanks for the good words! I love your pond! Seems you fit here so well!
Mau, sleety ? Yuck! I hate sleet , but now I sure would like some after all this freeze!LOL How is Friday?
Rusty, good to hear from you! Miss your doggie pics!
Rann, congratulations for Iceland! Is it men or women? We are good at women handball. How is Selma doing?
Celia, congratulations for your brother! How is your DD doing with her pregnancy?
Joey, any new pics with JW?
Kelli, I hope you got rid of those termites!

A bit warmer here, but still freezing.It snowed last night with small flakes. The air pressure has dropped and got me a bad headache...ugh! I'm leaving the faucet on dripping a bit...just in case. Thanks again everyone for your support and advice, you are great.
Adina

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Adina it's actually a corner we bought that has the pattern carved into it.
We have some antique bullseyes but they are too big for this application.

Well no flood shots.
It's already going down..... too cold!

South of us is a mess.
They just said if you are heading that way don't.
Memphis, Louisville, Nashville, Lexington the Hwy's are terrible.... and we're still hours away from rush hour.

NOTHING here but cold.
We're at 17°F or -7°C

This is just the first (fill in the cracks) coat.
It's all cleaned up now.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Man, it's sleeting like crazy here! It had stopped for a while but started in again a little bit ago. I have talked to 3 people who live up close to the AR-MO border and they all have a lot of snow--8-10" at least and it is still coming down in their areas.
People are driving on the road in front of my house just like it is a summer day--crazy!! So far, none of them have ended up in the ditches!

Adina, Friday is doing fine but his little feet get cold when I have to take him outside to do his 'business'. Needless to say, we don't stay outside very long.

Is there any way you can make the degree sign with the keyboard on a laptop? Ever since I started using this laptop, I have not been able to make the degree sign because, as you know, there is no number pad on the side. :o(( and you can't do it with the numbers on the top of the keyboard.

patgeorge: What? You mean there is someone else on this thread who is "older than dirt"!??!!! LOL Of course, se_eds is older than I am but she hasn't posted on here in quite a while. Has anybody heard from her lately?

Well, here is a first--for me, anyway: Anyone ever heard of
"Unknown precipitation"? LOL Take a look at this--straight from TWC-

Current conditions as of 2:55 PM CST
Unknown Precipitation

Feels Like: 26 °F (I beg to differ--it is 22F on my back porch right now!)
Barometer: 30.04 in and falling rapidly
Humidity: 85 %
Visibility: 3 mi
Dewpoint: 23 °F
Wind: ENE 8 mph
Sunrise: 7:09 AM (not that anybody around here actually saw the sun)
Sunset: 5:34 PM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Ric, you copy from me! lol... I has this wood border corners in my kitchen!

Still snowing here worst more inches!

Here's pic of squirrels been eating sunflower seeds bird feeders!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Rusty want go outside to chase the squirrels out

As Rusty said, " I gonna chase squirrels again, Mom!" I am not gonna let him chase it again and come back inside again is big messy of paws print in kitchen's floor...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Kitchen's wood corner border with trim....It was 3-1/2 yrs ago that I put this wood corner border with trim that put the french double door in my kitchen...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Zone 7a)

Rusty, that looks great! So funny about Rusty. LOL JuJu is getting big!

Crystal is doing okay with her pregnancy. Life-wise, not so great. She has to move from where she is living with friends and move in with her boyfriends relatives for the time being. I told her she just needs to come home. Heh heh heh Their own room, built-in babysitter, more job opportunities for them both...What could be better? (sigh) She won't do it.

It may be a good thing because my brother I spent time with is having difficulties with our other brother he is staying with now. He asked if it was possible if HE could move in with us until he could find his own place. That may take a few months. We'll see...

The ponds look great. If we had one, it would soon grow larger, too! LOL

It's very smoggy out today. It's pretty warm but the air quality is nasty!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Adina - it's the men's handball team ..... we're playing France tomorrow, if we win that game we'll play for silver/gold. Otherwise we'll play for bronze. As you can imagine the nation will be glued to their TV's tomorrow! France is the team that beat us in the final on the olympics so ....... I'm guessing it'll be a nerve wracking game. Not sure I'll be able to watch! lol

Mau - I hate sleet too ..... snow's much better.

Celia - sorry Crystal's having problems. I can see how you'd like her to be close to you ......

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau does your keyboard have NumLock?
If so in that mode there are Numbers on certain keys which act like the Numeric Pad.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL Rusty!
Yep that's the ones.
We even did another treatment somewhat like yours.
Rusty would love it here! We have loads of squirrels. Wu could care less. She wants Possums!

Looks like that feed bowl is well guarded Celia!

We are outside the snow band.
Looks like Lexington, 60 miles south, will get 3-7".
Haven't heard from my friend defoe, a bit east of there, yet.

Stay safe down there!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Very nice, Ric!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll pass that on to Robyn.
She does this painting..... I just kibitz ....

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Snowed in & Dark

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

34° and overcast. Still loving the ALT 248. I'm going to have to try other number combinations to see what else it will do. I'm easily entertained. Supposed to clear off later, so will probably get close to freezing tonight. UGH!

Don

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Don: congrats for not growing up! That's the way to stay young! LOL
Ric: are you sure you live in Ohio!--that talk about California and Coney Island makes me wonder!! LOL Nice corner trim in the sewing room. We had trim like that in our previous house all throughout the house. My laptop keypad does not have a NumLock on it. :o((
Rusty: LOL at Rusty chasing the squirrels. Friday wants to chase all the birds he sees through the window--and the squirrels, too. I keep telling him to forget it! That's some nice trim around your doors.
Celia: glad Crystal's pregnancy is progressing nicely--sorry about the other problems. It's only natural for mothers to want to protect their children and "fix" everything but it is also only natural for the kids to say, "Please, mother, I'd rather do it myself!" :>d
Dyson: well, it isn't dark here right now but we are "snowed in", so to speak. We have a layer of ice which is covered by a layer of light snow. The streets froze again overnight so everything is very slick. The entire northern half of the state is affected by this with some counties getting as much as 12-14 inches of snow. In my area we probably have 2 inches of ice and snow on the ground which isn't much but it is enough in our area to shut things down. Our high today will be lucky to reach 32F. My outdoor thermometer has been 'frozen' at 20F since last night--it hasn't moved from that point. It may be broken for all I know.
# Today: A few snow showers scattered about the area this morning, otherwise a good deal of clouds. Cold. High 34F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 30%.
# Tonight: A few passing clouds. Low 17F. Winds light and variable.

I got one picture of this male cardinal feeding on the seed which I sprinkled on my front porch. My batteries went "kaput" after I took this photo. It was taken through my window as well as the screen on the outside of the window.

Thumbnail by marsue
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Everything is okay here and snow just about 6 inches as Rusty and Ju goes outside and Ju playing in snow again and zoom to inside!

It now 18.3*...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here you go Don
http://rmhh.co.uk/ascii.html

If you are using Windows there's a built in Character Key also.
Clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking System Tools, and then clicking Character Map.

Mau, Coney Island is actually in California, OH
Our main route if we are heading to KY runs right through it.
The Gate picture of Coney Island is what we see as we turn to head to I-275.
http://www.californiaohio.org/files/CaliforniaOhioHistory-optimized.pdf
You can CCP from the Character Key.

Cold here again today. High of about 25°
No snow from the storm hit here.
Haven't heard from Bonnie yet in Eastern KY to see what they got.
We should see normal temps by Tuesday.

Off to work on the Room.
Thanks for the comments.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

There have been some developments on the new buy out at Dave's.

Dave has outlined his duties in the IB organization.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072712/

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Light - & still snowing.

Ric, the door looks great! Congratulations for Robyn!
Don, thanks for the tip, I'll try Alt248.
Mau, poor Friday, he must be missing his walks! Cute cardinal!
Rusty, thanks for the pics! Ju and Rusty seem inseparable!
Celia, good to hear Crystal is doing well. I hope she finds a safe home soon. Maybe you can make her come to your place, like you said....keeping fingers crossed!
Rann, I just heard Iceland lost the game, but 4th place is honorable anyway. Our team didn't even qualified .

Sunny , but still freezing today. The weather liars said it would be 33F/1C today, but it were only 26F/-3C.
Sunset and Trica from last night.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Full moon last night...so funny, it was just over that power pole.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Closer look.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This was taken later, sorry it's blurry...I forgot to change the camera to the night option.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

30.7 °F with 38º for the high.
Haze
Windchill: 31 °F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 24 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.14 in (Falling)
Visibility: 3.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 18000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Still light & still snowing.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Everyone!!

Spent some time reading Ric's link.

Here are some pictures from last night and this morning:

http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100129#

Dang! We need to go to the store but it's only:

32.7 °F
Overcast
Windchill: 33 °F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 28 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds:
Overcast 1300 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft

This Afternoon
Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy in the evening...becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows around 18. Northwest winds 5 mph.

(Zone 5a)

Adina - yeah we lost .... but to the reigning World and Olympic Champions so there's no shame in that ;-) We still have a shot at the bronze tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed! ;-) The girls were really excited about the game and kept rooting for "our boys" although they were behind most of the game. I felt for them (the team) , they were soooooo disappointed after the game ..... the girls were fine ;-) lol

It was a beautiful day today, sunny, fairly calm and about 30°F. Probably should have gone outside to enjoy it, but didn't ....... I've been feeling pretty bummed out these past two weeks...... trying hard to stay optimistic and positive but it's really difficult with the outlook being so grim .....

Hi to everyone!

Rann

(Zone 7a)

Rann, just know that all your friends are with you. Our hearts cry when your's is crying.

(Zone 5a)

Thank you Celia :-) You guys are pulling me thorugh this you know ....don't know what I'd do if it weren't for you ......

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann, I think Celia articulated the sentiments of all of us here on the weather thread. When I joined DG almost 3 years ago (in May), I never dreamed that I would "meet" so many caring people. Although I have been fortunate enough to meet several of my DG friends in person, still, I will probably never meet most of you in person but I still consider you to be my friends. Its comforting to know that I can always log on to DG and find friends to chat with or just to "vent" to if I am having a bad day.

The tow truck guys have done a booming business today in front of my house. There have been several vehicles that slid off the road into the ditch and the towing guys pulled out at least of three of them. However, traffic seems to be moving along okay now, cars going up and down the road with no problems. The ice must be melting off in spite of the fact that it is only 28F on my back porch.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Jan 30, 5:53 pm CST

Fair

23 °F
(-5 °C)
Humidity: 72 %
Wind Speed: N 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.20" (1023.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 15 °F (-9 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Snow melt on roads....

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

9° F and Partly Cloudy this evening. We added around 4" of snow earlier this week--the first new snow since we had all that snow dumped on us in early January. It's been cold though, with lows in the single digits every night.
The big storm that's blowing across the middle of the country passed to the south of us.

Chrissy.......I enjoyed the picture show.

Ric........I read the DG update thread. It will be interesting to see what happens here now.

Don........The pond is looking good. Looks like the round rocks have some nice color and patterns. I brought a bunch of really nice ones home one time from the north shore of lake Superior after vacationing there.

marsue..........We have a lot of stupid drivers around here too. With all of the snow we get here you would think they would know better. They interviewed a cop in the local paper. He was sitting at an intersection and saw a SUV coming at a high rate of speed and knew it would never get stopped. He pulled out of the way just in time or the SUV would have t-boned him. When he pulled it over the women who was driving said, "I just don't understand it. I was in four wheel drive!"

Joey.........Sorry to hear about the fish incident.

If any of the southerners on the weather forum have the inclination to move north into a bit more challenging environment I found a local house for sale. Check out the photos. Your own personal greenhouse and plenty of space for gardening!

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10030/1030355-455.stm?cmpid=newspanel1

Photo: Winter sunrise along French creek. (Photoshopped version)

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, it's a village! We could all move in there. LOL Now we just need to come up with the $24. Maybe we could have a bake sale?

(Zone 5a)

Crissy - you live in a beautiful area ..... nice photos.

EB - wow that is some house! Not sure it could ever feel like a home though, just a "tad" too big ;-) lol

Just watched The Notebook and had a good cry ....ah to know love like that. Someday maybe .......

off to bed, way past my bedtime ...... again

Rann

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Full moon just poped above the clouds. Very bright.
Still in cold mode here.
Low tonight below zero.
Got a good start on the big kitchen. Otherwise not much going on here. Just boring winter.
Good thing we are busy, nothing to watch on TV, so evenings are long.
Even playing on Daves doesn't take long.

Oh, I know, it's called cabin fever!
Bernie

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

30 something, no breeze and full moon. I'm hunkered under a blanket since I'm cold. lol.

We reached high 30s today and since it was so nice I decided to wash my truck and get the 10 layers of mud off it. lol. Took almost 10 bucks worth to get it off and I didn't get nearly what I normally get. My fingers and toes were starting to get cold so I gave up. Went by work and a coworker saw me get out of my truck and told me that until today he thought my truck was older cause it was always covered in mud. lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.