pomegranite help please.

west allis, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi, the late fall of 2009 I bought some pomegranates from the grocery store. I was in my plant room munching out trying not to get the red juice on my clothes.I thought what would happen if I planted some of these seeds----so I did! Now the plants are about 10-12 inches tall in 4 inch pots.I water and fertilize them when ever I get around to it, but haven't been very diligent in my care of them. So now I'm curious, they are strong and everything, how do I take care of them? Can I keep them as bushes or are they going to be trees? When do they fruit, at what age? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.....................thank you....b Oh yeah, I forgot to say I have about 40 baby pomegranates plants, when I planted the seeds I didn't think that almost all would grow......b

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 12:18 PM

Clinton Township, MI(Zone 5b)

Pomegranates do germinate readily - I have grown pomegrante seeds myself and still have one as a houseplant! Since pomegranates grow outdoors in zones 7-10 (the warmer the better), you will have to grow them as a house plant. The downfall is indoor pomegrantes rarely bare fruit, and if they do after a few years, the fruit is small and inedible. They do produce a nice flower, though! I hope someone here has more information for you, I found most of my info on the internet.

west allis, WI(Zone 4b)

thank you...............b

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Pomegranates need long hot summers for fruit to mature, but you may be able to get some blooms. It will be a few years before they bloom for the first time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.