Windbreak Trees

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

Southern Gardeners: Any ideas for a very fast growing tree to use as a privacy screen and a windbreak. I'm tired of looking at my neighbors back yard mess.
Thanks
Grits

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Grits..for a deciduous variety..I planted Lombardy Poplars for that reason. They went from 1 foot to 7+ feet last year in one growing season (from bareroot stock). That worked for me! They should start budding to fill out this year. I really like evergreens but I wasn't patient enough to have these grow for a screen. If you can handle leaves dropping in the winter for your screen, and you want tall thin screening..Lombardy Poplar may be a consideration for you :)
Trish

FYI:

BOTANICAL NAME: Populus nigra
COMMON NAME: LOMBARDY POPLAR

HARDINESS ZONE: 6,7,8
GROUP: D
GROWTH RATE: fast
EXPOSURE: sun
TEXTURE: medium
FORM: upright-narrow
HEIGHT: 40-70'
SPREAD: 10-12'
LANDSCAPE REMARKS: fast growing

Trish

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

I would never plant a poplar or any large willow species . There are many more long lived tree species out there to choose from . Maybe some fast growing evergreen oak species ???

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Chooch - This is what I am looking for also. The evergreen oak is just the thing. What is the latin name and how fast does it grow? Thanks!

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks! I read about Leyland Cypress - is it as fast grower as they say? Or, sweet olive shrub? or some other shrub that's fast growing. The poplar sounds great, but I really wanted never to see that yard again, lol.
Grits

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Grits - Leyland Cypress is indeed a fast grower. In England I planted 18" plants and spaced them 2' apart. I took out the leader shoot when the hedge attained the height I wanted, i.e. 10' (in three years). However, this conifer is mostly used as a backdrop and temporary screen whilst waiting for the slower trees to establish. I would not grow it personally - unless for hedging and it does need trimming twice a year. By the way, the smaller the tree, the better. It does not transplant easily.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thuja and Canadian Hemlock seem to be the answer! I too need windbreak trees and have not quite decided but the hemlock is indeed lovely and the Thuja grows quite moderately fast. I'll keep you posted Grits :-)

(Zone 9a)

Grits,
Your neighbors must be kin to my neighbors!

Have you considered using wax myrtle? They can be grown as multi-trunk trees or as large shrubs. The foliage is aromatic as well.

In the garden,
Bloomer

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Bloomer and all: My neighbors on the other side have wax myrtles and they really are a great screen!

You know what I'm considering? Honey suckle vine - there's some growing on one side of our fence and it is really full and covering nicely. Might do that. It stays green here, is a native and covers like crazy, it also smells heavenly in the spring.
Grits

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

When I first came to the US I would scan the hedgerows and trees hungry for the new experience of American flora and fauna. I used to see this lovely, graceful and evergreen shrub and wanted so much to grow it myself - yes, it was the Wax Myrtle. Grits, if your honeysuckle is evergreen is it the Armandii? Huge leaves and white flowers? By the way Bloomer, will wax myrtle stand up to windy situations?

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Louisa, I live on the coast and it's always windy at my house because of the ocean. My wax myrtles are beautiful!

P2

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

P2 - I can imagine the scene right now!! Gorgeous! Surely then, you can't get much frost and hot searing winds! Another question:- Would Portugal laurel stand up to hot and icy winds I wonder!

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

In this zone - you can't do anything to a wax myrtle to kill them, lol.
Grits

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Grits - that HAS to be good news eh! A plant we 'can't' kill. Whooopee!

Hampton, GA(Zone 7b)

Louisa, something you need to consider about hemlock. I planted one....it died.....then I found out they don't like full sun.

Hampton, GA(Zone 7b)

Louisa/ Grits--oops!------meant to post my last reply to Grits, instead of Louisa!

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Louisa, we do get frost occasionally. More this winter than ever. It's pretty hot here with summer temps (due to humidity) 100+ degrees. But, the wind from the ocean makes it at least bearable. When the wind dies down at low tide then look out...it's hotter than hades and we all head for the cool of the AC. :)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Grits, three words:ROTUNDIFOLIA RUSSIAN OLIVE! They are the fastest, thickest,etc,etc. They grow fast down here and they make great "fences". "Eleagnus pungens 'Rotundifolia' " Lisa

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Pete 2 - Could do with some of your sunshine this year but I think Spring is just around the corner - perhaps by next week? Lisa, I have grown the Russian Olive and you are right it does form a quick, dense hedge. But I want something more in the 'tree' line. Does the Eleagnus root easily and will it take trimming? I could use this to divide my garden into 'rooms'. I do have one Eleagnus in a pot.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Louisa, they do root easy and down here they will grow up to 15 feet high and about 10 feet wide. Excellent choice of shrub. They can take trimmings too. Many folks don't want them to get so wide and trim them to shape. Lisa

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Lisa :-) - We went to look at our house yesterday which is nearing completion and was so upset when I realized that to the left of the garden all the native trees and pines had been removed for about 200 feet leading to the drain field. I know that the drain field area had to be cleared but not where are property abutts the next lot. Now we have lost our privacy and our 'border line' which was so lovely and natural. There used to be dogwoods (and you know how slowly they grow) maples, pines etc. I felt physically ill and almost threw up. I have not accepted this but it's too late to do anything now and the more I dwell on it the more my blood pressure will go up. It's no use talking to the builder, he always comes up with some excuse or another for his actions. If he thinks I am going to recommend them to anyone they are sadly mistaken, although the house building is excellent.

Oh Louisa,
I am sorry to hear about those mature specimens being removed. I know how sad you must feel, especially since you cannot gain those things back without time on your side. I cried when a new driver lost control of his vehicle and went up on my front display garden and knocked out my hard-grown specimens, which took years to mature (and we had moved them from our previous property). Try to see the positive in that you can start your own patch of trees and specimens and leave a new garden legacy for your family :)
Trish

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Trish! It is heartbreaking and I'm sorry that you had such an awful experience. It must have been harder for you because of all the trouble that you went to with those mature specimens. I mean, you tend them like babies, you nurture them and feed them and some silly beggar knocks them down. There is no justice, is there? My sadness has now turned to annoyance but I will get over it :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.