Amarillis - how to make sure they bloom again

Madison, WI

I have two Amarillis bulbs that I got at Walmart 3 years ago. Each summer I plant them outside, dig in the fall and
replant. One of them bloomed again this year, but the other is not doing anything. What's the trick?

Mount Vernon, OH

They need a "hibernation" period where the light and temperature needs to change. The temp. needs to be 55 degrees or below but above freezing. You can use a refrigerator but make sur ethere is not fruit or veggies in there. Rotting veg. or fruit makes a gas which makes them not grow or bloom. Keep them in the fridge for 10 weeks. Bring them out into warm temps and sunlight. Also, you should fertilize them once a month to keep their "strength" up to bloom again.

Also they like a pot around 1 inch bigger than the bulb.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010 7:56 PM

Madison, WI

Thank you for all the info. I'll make sure I'll keep the bulbs outside in the fall longer. That should given them enough dormancy, I think.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a pic of one of my Hippeastrums beginning to bloom. The tag fell out, so I have to wait until it actually blooms to tell what cv it is.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Also make sure that you allow the leaves to continue to grow after the flower has died. The leaves are necessary to store the energy necessary for them to bloom.

Madison, WI

Thank you guys for the info. I did leave the leaves as long as they looked green.

Machikoneko,
I see there's one large bulb above the soil. Where do the leaves come from to the side of it? Is it a separate bulb that is planted deeper?

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Those are offset bulbs from the mother. When they get larger, I remove them from the mama, and give them away.

Madison, WI

I have planted my bulbs deeper, about 2/3 in the ground. I wonder if that's correct.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

enya,

I have planted them all sorts of ways; they don't seem to be too fussy about depth. I just like seeing the bulbs mainly on the surface...I think it's more a matter of taste than anything. The main thing is not to overwater them, but you can say that about nearly all plants. ;)

The flower here is a Vivaldi.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Madison, WI

Thank you for the info and the photo. I have not seen Vivaldi yet. It is so pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.