So. Calif. Spring RU 2010 - PLANTS

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The poor China berry Tree. Can anything be done to make her look better? Poor dear.
WIB!
SW

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Jules, where is picture of the poor China berry tree ?
I enjoyed the pictures from your property and I can hardly wait to see them in person.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Yay Jules, Cannot see the pic of the mutilated China Berry tree.

Mother Sylvia............Love
you Jules!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Quote from SingingWolf :

I wanted to send you a photo of the area that needs a tree or three for privacy screening.SW

I'm not sure how cold the winters get where you are, but if they are mild enough, (no hard freeze) you might want to try Leptospermum scoparium. (Tea Tree) Alternating red and white ones gives you a beautiful spring/summer flower and creates a dense screen as well.
Here's a good example of a "Red" http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/11823/

Here they are in their native New Zealand http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/220263/

I think they'd do fine in Menifee. I have a friend in Ramona that has them.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

They don't do well here at all, too cold, but they are nice trees. They grow fast supposedly but here only bush size. until a big overly long cold snap, one year and then bye bye Tea Tree Bush.

That would flip me out to lose that big old tree. I bet you considered a hit man.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sorry folks, I was so sad it took me a week to make it back up the hill with the camera to take photos. This one is sort of from above, looking down on the china berry.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is a close up. I would just cut it down and put it out of it's misery, but my renter likes shade.
This tree has been so poorly trimmed in the past I don't know what to do with it.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

That's where the elderberry used to be. Right between that pepper, and where the Canna grows. My renter was planning on putting the kids pool below there, down where that container (still) is, but now feels it is too open. No parent/grandparent wants driver's by gawking at their kids these days.
Hope this helps.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

DP,
Once again great links. I really like them, and they might do well here. Although, I'm not so sure about the kangaroo and her joey. LOL!
Beats the Buddy Holly Birth photo, LOLSM. Seriously, those look like nice options. I'll have to do more research on them.
Thank you~
WIB~
SW

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Just what I would dread to look at. No wonder you were so mad.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

OK guys if you see Echinacea Pink Double Delight in any nursery please let me know . I can paypal or mail the $$$. I found where I can order itonline but then I have to order a bunch more plants to make it worth it!!
Jules I think I would want to strangle the kids that tagged that building!!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Not a building. It's a steel storage container, like they ship out on ships or trucks. Former Renter should have it gone this week. Along with the motorcycle racing fuel he has illegally stored in the shed.
It's making both my friend and I very upset, especially since she is paying rent for space that she can't use yet because he can't be a grown up man and make arrangements to move when given 60 days notice. Other people who work manage to get moved out on time. What is his problem? I'll have to do something nice to make it up for her.
Marie, I'll keep my eyes open. I may have some luck down at Louie's nursery. They can probably order it too. I'll see and let you know.
WIB!
SW

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

You know Jules, motorcycle racing fuel works great in old Jeeps.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Good thought, DP! : - )
If he leaves it behind, do you have an old jeep? Only other thing I can think of is to call the fire marshall and report him.
Makes me wish I still had my old dune buggy.
Lemonade from a lemon, eh? : - )
WIB,
SW

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Girls this could be quite an original RU, with a traditional Indian Burial of soon to be former Tenant.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I haven't been on this thread since forever. Does not come up in my "threads I am watching" since I had not contributed.

SW those trees you took a picture of for me look like the same one we have here. The (know I have heard) Tree of Heaven. Seems like those 2 words should not be in the same sentence. So, I will pass as we have our own breeding ground.

I am hoping to one day have divisions and rooted cuttings to share with others as you all do with us. Until then, I hope to pick up some tid bits at the RU. I was able to meet up with Sherry when she was in Temecula to receive some plants she was bringing me to me at the RU, so I will pay the DD and her BF to dig holes (I can still make the anti gopher baskets) when they get paid to dig up weeds. I don't remember getting paid to HAVE to help to stuff at home!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, I was expected to enjoy working with my mother in her little garden - until the bees came and then she knew I was gone like a shot.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

That is my h with all those fire ant bites.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You all crack me up!
QG, rats! : - ) I was hoping to get rid of some of them weeds. LOL!
I always had to work in the garden. My least favorite job was picking those tomato worms off the plants. Yuck!
However, I also made money pulling weeds for older ladies, who had a hard time getting down on their knees. I made a quarter per full paper bag of weeds. Not the little paper bags either, but the grocery bags. One lady always had punch and cookies for me when I was done. It's hard for girl kids to make money. At least till they get old enough to baby sit for others.
I don't like working around the pond when all the bees come for a drink. I don't like, and am really allergic to red ants, never mind fire ants, which are worse! Even still it's hard to stay out of the garden.
I've been transplanting a lot of plants for the RU. Some of my succulents are doing strange things so I'm holding off on some of them. You can always take cuttings. : - )
You haven't heard much from me, because I've been working really hard supervising, and transplanting things for the RU or into bigger pots. Been busy.
I am really looking forward to this RU.
Can't wait to see everyone there.
WIB,
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

SW - you be careful and take it easy. I know what it is like to want to get it all done, but we want you to be viable when we get there, not visit you in your bed!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh I tried to move some of my plants too, and they are looking a little miffed with me, since I transplanted them, though all look like they will recover after a brief ugly spell. So I will dig them out the night before and get some B1, which I don't have now.

I found two Fruitless Mulberry trees that seeded in my garden, one I transplanted to my compost pile to see if it would come back, in case someone wanted it, and it did, the other is harder to dig out because it is in my lasagna bed that has chicken wire under it.

Does anyone want the one I have out already and possibly another one?

I think only a couple wanted my Lambs Ears, a couple Mystic Merlin Malva, a few wanted some spreading Petunias, too I believe, I have to go back and write it down, since I did not keep my list.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

hellnz11
I wanted your lambs ears, dear lamb.
Sylvia

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Dawn, if you have an extra Mystic Merlin, I would love to have one.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I would like a Mulberry tree, they make great shade trees. I have one that was food for horses and one that, apparently, was food for gophers!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

lol Ok you got it guys. Donna, one Mystic Merlin Malva can spread around and fill in as a hedge or be a nice plant that stands alone, but they don't transplant well when they are bigger and established. They, unlike their friends the hollyhocks, don't go so crazy and take over everything. They grow well from seed in a few weeks too.

Thanks Dawn. :-))

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

If you can dig out the other Mulberry, I have just the place for it. : - )
LMK, and thanks hellenzn.
WIB!
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thank You Dawn.
Lynda

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Will try to dig it out. I know you will have big trees in 3 years.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Yea right. This time I will have the hole lined with wire hardware cloth and then with extra wire, close the horse and goats' mouths!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Don't hurt yourself in the attempt to dig it out hellenzn.
Thanks!
WIB!
SW

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I am more worried about digging through the gopher wire and the roots being too deep and pulling out all my little seedlings coming up. I have to kill that tree or dig it up though. I can't have one more FL Mullberry and surely not in the middle of my flower garden.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Donna and Sylvia, I wanted you to see what I have labeled as 'nicotiana.' Is this what you're thinking? It smells so good especially at night. Will bring them to you if I have it right!

Thumbnail by weegy12
Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Louise

That plant is exactly what I was hopeing for!
Sylvia

Yup, that's Nicotiana Louise.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Louise if you have an extra I would love one too. They are supposed to do good here.

I have these bulbs - whatever they are. Speak now or they're going in the compost. :-)

Dawn, I'm bringing you cuttings from the native lilacs (Ceanothus), right? Any other takers?

Marie and Rodica, I'm bringing you both cuttings from the gold Epi you liked. They won't be rooted but that's easy to do.

Do I owe anyone else anything?

OK, here's the picture of the bulbs I meant to attach to the last message.

sigh....

Thumbnail by KaperC
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

One looks like PP Agapanthas to me, but I don't know. I am up for any thing that spreads up or across. If nobody wants them, I am happy to help you with saving them from the compost pile.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I will help Dawn help you save them :o) Whoo Hoo on the epi cutting. I have finally managed to keep one alive from Louise. Not always my fault though. i have some boys who thought they made pretty good swords!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.