So. Calif. Spring RU 2010 - PLANTS

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Start posting plant trades, etc. here.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you KC and Terry.
I'll be working on a list of seeds and plants I have to trade and will post later.
WIB,
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I've already promised DP, some succulents for the new garden he is working on at the school, and the two surviving Day lilies to go with the rest of the contributions from DG'ers. He was supposed to keep the Crinum (aka funky bulb!).
I have a lot of seeds to share, and if you see something you like in my photos, LMK, and I will try to collect some seed for you, or perhaps you can take cuttings or seedlings.
I promised Marie a crinum. But we may have to wait until summer.

Bulbs:
I have some Naked lady amaryllis bulbs, and can spare several.
Should have some Jonquil bulbs too.

Seeds:
I have some Mediterranean Sea Pinks seed,
Tecoma stans, or Honeybird Bush seed,
string of pearl seeds,
wisteria,
Bower vine,
Gourd seeds of several kinds,
Edible Hyacinth.
Pototo Bush has lots of berries/seeds.

Plants you can dig up or take cuttings from:
Jade plants,
pregnant onions,
Please take some of that Society Garlic! LOL!
Cuttings from the cactus.

I know it's just a start, and there are a lot more I have to list. I will edit, to add more to this post, so feel free to make requests or list what you have too.
That is what this thread is for, after all! : - )
Thank you again for getting it set up KC, and Terry!
WIB!
SW

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

My apologies...I won't be making it to the RU.....

This message was edited Mar 24, 2010 7:36 PM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I will be bringing some baby crinum bulbs or at least that is what I think they are. Stuff got moved and tags are lost . If I can find other stuff to take on the plane I will list them here.

I will have bauhinia vine seedlings in any one is interested.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 8:13 PM

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh my you all have so much good stuff to share.......................For starters I'm going to commit to cutting now ( that will motivate me) of Oxford Bush. Look it up. This precious plant has perfect butterfly flowers and roots very easily ( even for us novices) just steck in the ground with rootone.
Getting so excited for April 24 at Jules place, just a few miles from us.
Sylvia

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sylvia,
Good to hear from you, I was wondering where you went.
Please put me down for one of your Oxford Bush Cuttings.
Thanks.
WIB!
SW

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Sylvia, I would like one of your cuttings, too! Thanks so much.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

You got it ladies................I'm so happy I have something wonderful to share.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I know they're not the most popular anymore but they are pretty and I have TONS of them. Agapanthus that is.... If anyone wants any, I have the regular Agapanthus Africanus and the "Peter Pan" (dwarf) variety....All the ones I have are purple. I'm digging and dividing them today and next week. Let me know soon if you want any, after you've claimed all you want I'm offering them to my co-workers. I literally have hundreds of them. They have a beautiful bloom and I really love the one little clump I have at home. They just became so over used by commercial landscapers that most of us here in SoCal and SoAz have grown tired of them.

Sylvia- Peter Pan Agapanthus
Marie- Standard Size aggie
SW- Standard Size aggie and Colocasia
Dawn- Standard Size aggie
GR8Cayte-Colocasia and Kangaroo Paw

Tomato Plants
Sylvia
Louise

This message was edited Apr 20, 2010 6:42 PM

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

DesertPirate.....................We would be most happy to give a home to 12 of your Peter Pan variety. We have lots of places where we need plants.
Thank you so much,
Sylvia

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

You're on the list Sylvia.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

wcgypsy...................................I will be very happy to have some of your periwinkle cuttings and also one nutmeg geranium plant.

Thank you,
Sylvia

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You know me DP, I'd love to have some more aggies. The large size, as I already have some peter pan. I already have some of the larger size but want to fill in that area quicker. You'll see.
Buddy Holly waved at Fido. LOL!
WIB,
SW

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Randy I would love some!!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Sylvia, the vincas are not cuttings, they're rooted plants...you have a place to use them as groundcover? You don't want to plant them amidst other plants, they take over and spread quickly.

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

wcgyspy..................................Rooted plants,take over and spread quickly.................OH YES! Thank you very much we have a lot of dirt to cover at our place.
Sylvia

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sherry can you put me down for centranthus ruber & a coco scented geraniums

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Sherry, I'd like some of that Vinca. I have a slope that could use something just like that.

Marie and SW: I've got you covered.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Randy, BTW, the vinca works very well as groundcover under the oaks also.There's a property on Green Canyon that has a slope up to the house (under oaks) and the hillside is covered with the vinca....

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sherry how would the vinca do on the downslope under the walnut tree, will it climb fences too? I love that Cape Honeysuckle growing on the chainlink fence, but need some kind of ground cover around the walnut, where the grass doesn't grow.
If you think it would work well, please put me down for one or two.
Thank you Randy. I love aggies.
WIB!
SW

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

SW, don't know about under a walnut...unless I'm mistaken (and very well could be, I don't think a lot of things will grow beneath a walnut due to the juglone produced by them. The vinca does very well in shade.....haven't had it climb fences...it's vine-like in that it produces runners that root, but I kinda think climbing would have to be due to a 'mounding' upon itself to reach any height on a fence.....there again, could be wrong, I just haven't had it climb any fences here....

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

That's exactly where I want it to be as not much else is gonna grow well under that canopy. I'll probably put in a Camellia or two and some other shade lovers, but nothing that spreads well is gonna cover the slope like vinca. I look forward to it. Thanks Sherry.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, wcgypsy, I'll keep looking for something else to grow under that old walnut.
Thanks anyway! : - )
WIB,
SW

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi.

Does anybody has any little rooted geranium maderense plants ? I love this one and I would love to try it.

Thanks

Rodica

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Rodica, I have some!!! In fact I have a few if anyone else wants some. I'll have to check to see how many I have.

I noticed several little ones coming up the other day when I walked my soggy garden.

Donna

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Hey there Donna. Haven't heard much from you lately. That Rudbekia you brought for me to the Fall RU has three plump buds on it just waiting to pop. I'll send pics when they do. They're in my "DG" bed along with some DLs from Mike, some Canna from Abutilon, some blue Iris from Louise and that Lemon Verbena from Kathleen. All are lush and loving all the rain.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Donna, my geranium maderense from last year are big and I'm hoping this year they flower and I get more babies, too....thanks again.

Hi Randy, glad to hear the Rudbeckia is doing well for you. I love that you have a DG garden. I kind of have one also.....it's called 'my whole garden'. lol

I've been keeping busy doing things around the house these past weeks since I can't play in my soggy gardens. I've been repainting several of my inside doors and yesterday I started tackleing a BIG job. My staircase and all of my door mouldings are still in oil based enamel and they need to be repainted after all of these yrs. My new doors are all in latex enamel and the oil based mouldings are looking yellowed next to the doors. I am using the same 'Swiss Coffee' for both.
So I have decided to redo all the mouldings and staircase into latex which means lots of work for me. I have to sand all the surfaces then I bought a 'Paint n Primer' all in one to redo them all. Yesterday I was a sanding fool and my poor house is covered in paint dust!!! The hardest part is to come on the staircase and that's all the taping I will have to do around the stair railing and the carpeting on the stairs. WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO!!!!!

Hopefully soon I will be able to play outside again. :-)

Donna

Sherry, yes it will bloom this year and don't worry about not having babies, that plant throws seeds way far out and you have plenty of babies to share also. lol
BTW, how is your "Mr. Happy" doing? Mine has gotten pretty big so far.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

In my younger days I was a house painter. I spent nearly 20 years doing that, so I know how big the job is. It's unfortunate that oil paint is no longer available for household use. It lasts so much longer and has a much richer look and feel to it.

Yes, oil does last longer and has a nicer look but it's also a pain in the behind to work with. I can still buy oil enamel from Dunn Edwards, but only by the quart. I have 2 columns in my home and they are enamel and will STAY that way....they look richer.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Regarding the quality of today's paint.....my Dad's house is stucco...and he painted the stucco, 50 years ago and it's still good! Today's paint quality? Not so good it seems....

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I didn't realize Dunn Edwards still made interior oil paint. I don't mind working with it myself. It's a lot more forgiving than latex in that it'll flow out and level where latex dries so quickly it shows all your mistakes.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Boy, Donna, you make me ashamed. I see rainy weather as a good excuse to do nothing...

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm gonna spend the day planting Osteospermum where I've removed Agapanthus. Here on my campus it's much easier to maintain them and there's color 10 or more months out of the year.

Sherry, I wish I could do nothing sometimes. I always have something I want to do, either hard work or fun work. I used to enjoy just sitting on a rainy day and reading, but now I just can't do it. I feel like I've wasted precious time. Maybe that's what happens when we get older and know that our time is getting limited. lololol

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Not me, I'm getting older and my back is getting limited....lol....two things on the agenda today, french toast and snow in the Pauma Valley/ Palomar Mountain.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Donna. I am so much looking forward to this visit.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Dang Donna can you send some of that energy my way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.