snake plant propagation success!

Cleveland, OH

i am proud of my baby snake plants and thought i'd share!

Thumbnail by dvdbwn
Cleveland, OH

another picture.

Thumbnail by dvdbwn
Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

You have earned bragging rights! congrats,Edge

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

That's great! Did it seem to take forever to see any change?

I did this one or two winters ago and was almost ready to scrap the whole project after about ten weeks when I noticed a microscopic bulge coming from the base of a cut piece in the dirt--a bulge--hmmmmnn .... then the bulge grew in size ... ever so slightly.

And then a few more bulges came forth. They finally took on a pointed shape. That's when I knew ....

~TJ

Cleveland, OH

yes.

at one point i forgot about them. when i realized, i dug them out to see what was going on and it was obvious something was happing (bulges) so i put them back and no i have babies. pretty crazy how it works.

db

Madison, WI

Great job!
Would you remember how long it took?
I'd like to propagate a miniature one but am afraid to waist leaves.

Cleveland, OH

thanks enya,

it did take a long time. i'm trying to remember when exactly i started them. we moved last june and i know it was a couple months before that. so i'm thinking april. so i guess about 10 months to get them to this point... and one section on the leave (there were originally 3) has growth and a baby that's still underground.

Madison, WI

Thank you for the info. It is very very very long but I'll try.
However if you think about it, making babies can't be that easy :)

This message was edited Jan 22, 2010 1:29 PM

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My admiration for these plants knows no bounds. They are wonderful!

How thrilling to see such wonderful success!

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

I just had to cut some stems off of my very tall snake plant, so I'm going to try rooting them. I've tried before, but I let my impaitience get in the way and didn't keep them. Now that I know how long this might take, I'll be mor patient and see what happens.

I do have one question though. What soil or other medium did you use to rooth this? Thanks!

Candy

Candy I'd use something like cactus compost, perhaps with added grit. You don't want the cuttings to rot. Good luck!

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks! I did use what you suggested, kniphofia, so we'll see how they do!

Yes do keep us posted :)

Sue

Cleveland, OH

i just used regular old potting mix. the only time i've have issues with rotting, is when the leaf was already damaged and i was trying to put it to some use. the leaves do like high humidity. the ones pictured are still doing well i'll see about taking some more pictures.

db

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Most all Sansv. can be grown from a leaf or part of a leaf. However, the puppies will be all green, not variegated. For the color you need a bit of root stock attached to the leaf.

Cleveland, OH

my snake babies currently... getting big!

Thumbnail by dvdbwn
Madison, WI

thank you for the update. they are growing fast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.