So. Calif. Spring RU 2010

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

[Please go to the new thread for updated info: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1083309/]

OK, it looks like the date is Saturday, April 24, 2010 for our Spring RoundUp at SingingWolf's home in Menifee. For those not familiar with the town, it is near Temecula and Murietta, etc.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Menifee&state=CA

Details and directions will be provided later. There is limited room for simple overnight camping - no hookups, just space to park a vehicle and pitch a tent. :-)

No theme - we'll be in the country, so dress comfortably and wear good walking/hiking shoes. SinginWolf wanted me to remind everyone to bring cameras - lots to see and beautiful landscape. Oh, and leave the white clothes at home! LOL

The food thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070564/

The plant thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070567/

Attendees so far (* means tentative):

SingingWolf +++
SoCal
KaperC + 1
WCGypsy +1
Weegy12
MarieOrtiz
Rodicap
Hellnzn11
DesertPirate +1
BengalPhoto
Frogsrus + 1
Dillansnana + 1
Quiltygirl +1
Samigal +1?
Surfcity
Amarantha00

This message was edited Mar 25, 2010 9:38 AM

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Bless you Kathleen!
WIB!
Jules

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Got a date yet guys? Is there a theme?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Right now I'm waiting to hear if April 24, 2010 will work out for everyone. Let me know, okay?
WIB!
SW

Crossville, TN

I just emailed Amy and told her to tell that CO of the Nimitz that I would consider it a personal favor if he would give me a return date so we could get on with plans for the RU! Jo LOL

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Roadrunner, you have to be able to come. I really am sad I missed you the last two times. Keep us posted okay?
The date isn't set in stone, it's just a suggestion at this point. Does it work or not work for anyone else?
Let us know soon!
WIB!
SW

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Works for me.... :-)))))

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Fine with me.....

Yep!

Crossville, TN

I heard from Amy. She knows when the ship will be home...but cant divulge the date in email...but told me they would be on the way home..soon.,..I feel confident they will be home before April. So I'm saying YES for us. Jo

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Whoo Hoo, Party!
RR can't wait to meet you. You knew my Dad. : - )
Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. JD, will the date work for you? What bribes work on you?
I'd really like to meet all of you, even you lurkers, so check in and let us know if you'll be able to attend on April 24th or if some other date will work better for you.
DP, how about you? LUK!
WIB!
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm thinking that the 24th will work for me, just waiting to see when son's fiance's wedding shower will be and then there's the lingerie party too. June 5th is the wedding, then next February...my baby gets married...that's 5 weddings in 5 years!
Thanks for hosting this one SW. Let me know what I can do to help out.
Yea, Amy will be there! Love that girl!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Marie and Rodica, the 4 star hotel is now taking reservations!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok making reservations for 2 :o)

Crossville, TN

How far is Menifee from SD? If Amy has the duty that day I will have to hitch hike there. Jo

How about the train, Jo? One of us can pick you up at a station up here.

Crossville, TN

The train from where to where? I hope to be in SD anyhow...and unless Amy has duty that day she will bring me. Jo

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

roadrunner, I think KC meant they can pick you up at the train station in Oceanside. I believe it goes down to SD. I hope Amy doesn't have duty that day. I'd like to meet her.
Menifee is about 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours drive from SD, depending upon what part of SD, and the traffic. About the same distance to Pasadena.
Hope that helps some. I sure don't want you hitch hiking.
WIB!
SW

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Jo it is just North of Temecula, where Dr. Don and Pam live.

It seems to be a good day for me too, so if it is definitely on a given day, I will hopefully not have a new job that won't let me not have the day off. Who knows if I will get a job that has to work on weekends. That would suck, but the sooner I know, I can tell them I need that day off in advance.

Won't be too hot at that time and gives me a little time to get the plants in the ground and adjusted before the heat. The ones later are a little tougher on my plants and I have to leave them in containers or temporary areas until Fall.

All right Marie and Rodica.

Dawn

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Making some progress here. I'm really surprised that you know where Menifee is, hellnzn11. Can I just call you Dawn? Yup, we're 10 miles north of Temecula.
The question was brought up about having a theme for this RU. I'm all about keeping it Rural. When you are lucky enough to live on a farm like ours you don't need a theme. Now if someone wants to keep it Rustic, well that works too. LOL!
I meant to say earlier that I am so happy that Marie and Rodicap will be able to attend too. It's going to be a good RU!
Goodness gracious, like roadrunner they are coming from out of state. I wish some of the DG'ers from Central and No. CA could come too, but if wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.
I was hoping that this date would work for the majority of folks and now realize that we need to be able to definitely schedule the date. So speak up folks!
I'd love to have the date settled by the end of the month. Sound all right to the rest of you?
I know that some folks don't check on DG every day, and right now with the rains people might have other concerns.
LMK!
WIB!
SW

Sorry, Jo, I should have been more clear. SW is right, I meant if you can get to the train station there and take it to Oceanside or thereabouts, we could pick you up. I've done the trip south and it's fun.

Kathleen

Crossville, TN

Well, let's just hope Amy doesn't have duty that day...gotta go...my Gourd Group meets in a little bit. Jo

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

The date sounds fine to me Jules. We'll be there.

Jo, if you're planning to fly in, the cab fare from the San Diego airport to the downtown train station is about $16 and a ticket for the 'Coaster' (our local light rail) from there to the Oceanside station is $6.50. There are a couple of us near the O'side station. Surely one of us could pick you up there. (I think that's what Kathleen was talking about)

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

DP, I am so pleased.
DH and I will be coming your way Feb. 7th and will be in O'side til the 14th of Feb. Kids have school, so this is Our vacation from the kids. LOL!
Do you want me to bring you those last two surviving day lilies before DH stomps them out of existence? Be happy to drop them off for you, and the sooner they get in their new home, the happier they will be. Plan on putting them into pots really soon as he is talking about pouring some concrete out back by the pond. I know for sure his guys will kill them, so to protect them I'd better move them. LOL!
I am so looking forward to this RU, and the chance to meet friends I've made on line, and to see again those I've already met . : - )
It's going to be a great RU and fun too. Just remember (VERY IMPORTANT), don't wear white, it will get dirty/stained. I suggest good walking shoes for those who might like to take a walk about with me, and jeans. We aren't fancy, just plain hardworking people.
Spoke to Jonathan and told him not to make plans that day, except to be here. He might be able to help with some of our digital camera questions. Although, we do have a member in Perris, I hope can come who is a professional photographer. As soon as we have a date confirmed, I will write to him, and ask him to come and see if he will be willing to share his expertise.
It's coming together! A very good thing!
roadrunner, please dmail me about your gourd group. I have a lot of cured gourds I'd like to find homes for.
WIB!
SW

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

April 24th works for Marie and I. Our spring get together is April 10th and all of you are invited by the way.
Louise, our humble hotel has a couple of rooms available.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Whoo Hoo! We got you for sure! Happy Dance! : - )
It would be fun to go to the AZ RU on the 10th too. Is it going to be in Phoenix?
WIB!
SW

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes SW. It is in Phoenix and we organize it in one of our nice parks. It will be such a wonderful thing to have all or some of our CA friends visiting us.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thank you Rodica, we would probably have our hotel on wheels if we did come. Keep your fingers crossed.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Will keep everything crossed if it will make you come. lol

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hmm, maybe I'll go on a road trip. If we drive, we can stop when I need to. We can always find a motel along the way if we drive out on Friday, I'm sure they have plenty of Motels in Phoenix to stay in for Sat. nite. How long is that drive? I can only handle two hours at a stretch, then I have to get out and walk around for awhile.
Can't make any promises, with my health, but I think it is getting more manageable as time goes on.
We'll see, and it would be nice if some of us CA's could make it out to your AZ RU. Must check the school schedules too.
I'll let you know.
WIB,
SW

Crossville, TN

I have my ticket!! Rodica, Marie, SW...anyone who plans to travel ...Southwest has a very good special on right now...must book by tomorrow night...Lucky me...I had a couple of credits left over from last summers travel. Jo

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Jules, the drive from Menifee to Phoenix is just over 4 hours, 5 at the most. You can stop for a leg stretch in Quartzsite. Not a bad drive. I do it all the time.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You know, I feel really dumb, DP. My son went to a boarding school in Scottsdale, AZ. He usually flew. Thanks for the answer. I love Quartzite, but will have to stop at least once before then. There is a nice rest area, before you leave CA, that we've stopped at before. We'll see. The spirit is willing, just don't know if the old body can handle it. But then again, I can hurt no matter where I am. LOL!
I may have to leave DH at home, which is okay. He'll probably be working, especially if it keeps raining.
For some reason, I don't get so stressed when driving on the interstates, but I do get really stressed out driving in urban areas.
Go figure!
WIB!
SW

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I know Menifee, because before your area took off crazy, in the Temecula and surrounding communities I used to just stop in to get gas on my way to San Diego and really begged my X to move there. I finally got divorced and decided to try to move there myself, but by then the Temecula Mall was being built and it was booming and the prices went all crazy. I looked in Menifee and Sun City because it was more affordable, but I still could not swing it as a single woman who at that time was a Massage Therapist because there was still not enough business to count on at that time. That's how I know it though.

If I still don't have a job, I may take you up on that offer to come out to the RU on a road trip, before the heat. Would love to see you out in your neck of the woods again Marie and Rodica too, this time. Lets not recap our last drama though Marie. lol (Don't ask, inside joke).

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Gosh, now I know, hellnzn11. I do hope that you can find work, and possibly a compatible room mate. It's almost impossible to live in CA on a single income, these days. Pity you can't try it again around here. Houses around here now are going for a lot less.
If we didn't live on the farm, I'd go after some really nice bank repo, like an acquaintance of mine did. Oh well, we blew our money on beach time. Well worth it to us though.
I guess we should start talking about our RU and get back on topic.
I am very much looking forward to hearing from others who will be able to make the RU on the 24th of April. If this date conflicts let us know. If it doesn't please come to the RU!
WIB!
SW

I've update the first post in the thread with names of those attending so far. If I missed anyone, I apologize - let me know. Anyone who responds from here on will be added to the list.

If you're bringing a spouse or guest, let me know so we can keep track of numbers.

Kathleen

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks again for managing all this, KC.
I have to admit at the moment, due to the flood I am definitely overwhelmed. The flood waters will recede and life will get back to what passes for normal around here.
We have a Round Up to look forward to.
BengalPhoto will be here for the RU. I just asked him. He's saving the date for us, so we can add him to the list.
WIB!
SW

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Sent you a dmail SW. See ya all there. Hopefully I will be employed by then.
Any of you have this plant?
((Ceanothus, California Lilac
Ceanothus 'Dark Star'

I am dieing to try it.

I don't have 'Dark Star' Dawn, but I have several others I can supply cuttings of (Wheeler Canyon, Concha, Tassajara Blue, Snow Flurry). Las Pilitas (native nursery near me) doesn't recommend Dark Star for inland areas.

http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/ceanothus/california_ceanothus.html

Let me know if you want to try one of mine. Tassajara would be the biggest and fastest growing, I think. It's beautiful.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

hellenzn11,
I got your dmail, and sent one back.
I'm not sure what I have, but you are welcome to look, they are starting to put on buds, don't know yet if they will be blooms or leaves, but I will take photos. I am going to be working on my seed list. Many of these seeds were given to me in trade, last year, and I never had the time to plant them.
List later today, barring more flooding.
WIB!
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.