New bees chit chat Come in!! 1 /15/10

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

HI Everyone
Still need lots of prayers for my nephew. Turns out they were trying to send him home knowing he was really sick since Sat and only said they send him back to hospital after being told he would have to go to a nursing home until he was able to use crutches to get through doorways. (everyone's doors are too narrow for his wheelchair) He has a scab on his leg that's infected really bad and they weren't taking care of it properly until today. He has to have the surgery on his leg by Monday at the latest. His dad and oldest sister are going up there tomorrow to throw a fit on him over that because his mom's health isn't good enough for her to do it. So keep him in prayers.

Good news for today is I have 3 baby lavendar plants popped up since yesterday. From seeds I collected off my own plant no less BIG BIG SMILES .

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

good morning all...Littlenettie I didnt realize you were from Ar...Ha the Mrs Edwards doll idea is to cute..Cant wait to see picture.. You all are very creative.. Can you all believe I have lil green sprouts already in one of my winter sowing jugs.. my Dianthus baths pinks...Think I should spread sphagmus moss over them try to keep them dark for a lil bit longer? its way to early for them to be up I would think lol this warm weather in January gonna fool all my bulbs and flowers into thinking spring is here...

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Good Morning All.
I have some baby Desert Rose seedlings finally sprouting.
I don't believe they qualify as ws. But am so happy to see them coming up

Enid, OK

Just so everybody knows, nothing of mine has sprouted yet. Think I will pout!! Rained here last night thank goodness - we needed it!! I am headed out to do some more yard work - trying to get all my pots and stuff ready now so if spring ever gets here I will be ready to plant. Can't wait!

Worked on Mrs. Edwards a little last night - she has legs! I will post pics later.

49 here and headed toward 60 - hope it makes it!

Later

Hang in there, Lori. When they start sprouting you will have more plant children than you know what to do with.
Yes, I want to see Ms. Edwards Rump-body parts.

Orlando, FL

hi all long time no see
my puter wont turn on it will go to the shop tomorrow got on a couple of times on my sons play station but typing sucks i am on my wii now so i can be on a little more plus it is on the big screen tv
well for now i am going takes too long to type see ya
blondie

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hiya everyone! Was just chatting with cue on Facebook! She says to tell you all she misses you. She's been checking in but nobody's been talking - lol...

Enid, OK

Hey gang - where is Mekos?? I don't think I can work on Mrs. Edwards anymore until I know where Mekos is! Hope this is just her connection problem.

Been wonderin' where you were too Blondie - dang computers anyway!!

Enid, OK

Oh, and Loca, I got my seeds thank you very much!! I also found a little piece of heaven tucked inside. That made me smile three times today - once when I opened the envy and then again with each bite. (I had to gobble it up, can't sit around grinnin' all day, my family would think I was up to something)

I can't wait to get these planted! I am tossing around the idea of planting the smallest ones in a big container by my mail box. That or I can layer them along my fence line - I just don't know.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hey candles! Uh, I don't think the seeds were from me - lol. Maybe Al sent you sunflower seeds with a tasty chocolate bar inside cuz I got one today too...

HI Guys

Mekos has her GD today I think. Miss you Blondie where ya been!

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

I got my candy bar too and three darling little packs of sunflower seeds.....it was great!

I also got some other neat stuff in the mail from our dear Heavenscape (Jaye) talk about a great day for surprises...this was it...

I was upset that I could not go meet AnnieBBB today but I have a pretty sick kid.....Bronchitis almost into pneumonia...so three hours and two medications later, she is sleeping peacefully.....yay!

have a great evening all

Enid, OK

Oops, thank you Al! Guess I have lost my mind! AGAIN.

I got my Mg. swap seeds. Oh, I havesome nice ones. Got some wonderful moonvine seed. But the treasure is the George Strait Morning Glories. Oh, they are so pretty from the pic I saw. I love Geo. also got a chocolate one (MG) I never knew there was so many MG.

Good Morning!

Warm windy today. Sun in and out. Seems like all my plants are suffering in my little hoop GH. Not very steady for temp, not much sunshine lately. Learning experience for sure.

SPRING WHERE ARE YOU! How many days Jar?

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi girls, hope everybody got their daily ration of chocolate along with their sunflowers. As it is, I own shares in the Hershey company, a few free samples is good for business so enjoy.

Al

Well, we have got the rain today. Just got in from feeding the longears,
here came another sweep of rain. Temp is 63 and that is heavenly.
It is getting better Seray. Good afternoon Al.

Enid, OK

It is 50 here wind blowing like crazy! Supposed to get colder every day this week, lucky me!!

Mrs. Edwards met a catasrophic end last night. Seems the cats had a good time pulling the stuffing from pantyhose - back to the drawing board - guess I will have to play with Mrs. Edwards in the privacy of my candle shop.

You guys have a great day - back this evening maybe.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

55 and counting Seray........anybody have a quick guide for shortening the calendar? To be honest, this is turning into a better winter than I had hoped for due to lack of ice on the roads and heaps of snow in the drive....my drive is about 1000 long and just can not shovel that much snow! ***sighs...really need to invest in a plow for the garden tractor***

Stupid question maybe, but can a kerosene heater be used to heat a small greenhouse?

Dog-gone those Cats!!!! The very idea. They got their nerve.
I think the only bad things about using Kerosene would be the fumes.
But the other girls can answer so much better than me.

We used them in FL Jar. You shouldn't have any problem.

You can also use a propane heater like they would use ice fishing. Just have to vent a little for that one. It will burn up the oxygen during the night without a vent. Kerosene heaters aren't as hot and we never had to vent.

55 days!

These girls tell me "No Question is stupid" unless I don't ask it.
I'm always asking these girls things, Don't I????

Yep! Me too. Don't know if you don't ask. Got tired of reading the Dave thread. I guess we'll know when it happens huh? I'll put up with more ads to talk with you guys. Close is just a click away! LOL

Did I read right RRM where you said you planted 5 seeds of black mondo and only one came up? I haven't planted yet but was curious.

Yep, planted them same time as the bat seed and only one black mondo come up. But I snitched it!! It was on a plant at Pike Nursery. I felt so guilty, my Momma rollin in her grave. I just know it. Ain't supposed to take anything ain't mine. Still feel guilty. But guess what else I got coming up beside the Desert Rose seed. Moonvine seed. I know I got at least three. I'm going to have a jungle in this house. Do they grow fast??? Help!!!!

Enid, OK

We'll see you when you get loose from all those vines!! Good grief, what are you going to do?? Maybe next year you will wait a little while before going sowing crazy!!

Well. durn. People sometimes tell me they take a long time to grow and I wanted them to grow, but durn, they got to be more impatient than I am. These sprouted in just a few days and i didn't do anything special. I did put a little peroxide in the water, but dog gone!!!!

The moonvine grows pretty fast. Keep them in small pots until you get ready to put them out or they will stretch for the light. I may just switch the black mondo for some other ground cover. Belles experience didn't sound very promising either.

With this warm weather I'm itching to plant up. I know it's just a matter of time before it's freezing again. It's been over 70º today. I set all my EE's out and sprayed them for aphids. DH watered the GH and it took both of us to get the banana off the floor that had fallen over. Windy and we opened everything up. That's about it for my gardening today. The seed pod on the Brug is still doing well RRM. I checked on it today. We maybe very old ladies before that thing matures. LOL

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Warm weather is it coming this way??? You all wont believe what I got in the mail today...Mittsy ssent a box full of new seed, Endi sent me a beautiful candle that was so nice of you to think of me Lori honestly Thank You I love it, Mary or Crabgrasscntrl sent a nice package of seeds and several newbies wrote me... I saw someone was making apple dumplings, I didnt see that recipe who's was it? You have all been busy busy what are you making ladies with pumpkin bums? Where are the pictures? Listen I have had a special request for Bat seed too does anyone have any they want to trade off? Seray I am afraid to plant my Brugs,,,THey are doing so well in the rainwater leaves everywhere the ones I have planted now that is another story one leaf on one leaf off.

HI Arejay

You can have some of our warm weather. Hard on the plants 70º one day 30º the next.
Maybe we could just split the difference and both have 50º.

Plant your Brugs. If they don't make it I'll send you some more. LOL I'll also look for extra bat seeds. I think I passed them all out but may have some tucked away. Hardest dang things to sprout! :)

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Don't think we have to worry about mud, or warm weather here for awhile. Snowing and blowing again, must have another 8-10 inches from last night. Maybe in June? LOL

Enid, OK

Well, mercy me, where is everybody? Are me and skellogg the only ones alive today - everybody else musta froze to death.

Wind is blowing like crazy here they are talking about us getting 8-10 inches of snow Thursday - sure hope that doesn't happen.

Been on the road since 4:30 a.m. - gotta take a little nap now

They aren't going to see you til the Spring thaws. Wind blowing here too and sort of cold but not like what poor Skellogg
is getting. You better rest up after all that driving. Don't know where those girls are roaming. Been lonesome all day. I been on and off several times.

I'm checking in Enid. Glad you and Skellogg are holding down the fort.

Poly blew off our GH last night. Lights went out. Tree limbs broke off. Down right windy. :) No damage just cold wet poly to untangle. If it hadn't blown off it probably would have taken the PVC as well. LOL Still warm enough and the plants thought they had escaped from the zoo. Nice rain. Everyone had a great day of sunshine to enjoy. Myself included.

Tomorrow night 34º. *sigh* Got to cage them back up. 54 days!

Mindy best wishes for your nephew. Sounds like things are starting to get complicated for him.

Hi RRM We've been missing each other. I've been checking off and on too. LOL

Went back to check on Dave's thread. Happy to hear the latest. Looks like things are moving in a positive direction.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2010 6:39 PM

I didn't try to keep up after the other thread. they were getting in a rut.
Hi, girl. I think my sundew has some gnats (?) on it's tiny leaves. They are all doing good in their Aquarium. Seray, I noticed one of my neighbors has a Bradford Pear Blown over. The wind was blowing pretty good all day. The sun was shinning and so pretty. But it was quite cool. Don't like cool.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Everyone. I've been on and off throughout the day just didn't post except to send Robin the apple dumpling recipe. I've joined Curves trying to get in good shape by spring so that took up part of my day.

Seray I think my nephew will be in better care from now on. His big sister quit her job and is taking over seeing to it that he gets the proper care from now on. She's already let them know she's not taking thier word for anything made them show her his leg. They keep saying he may lose it yet she says it's a nice healthy pink color except where that scab is infected no redness or anything suspicious anywhere else. My sister says they are already acting alot nicer and cooperating with her.

Would anyone be interested in a recipe for ham buns? These can be made ahead and frozen and then baked striaght from the freezer and can be put on either the reguarl size buns or the mini ones.

Today's check on my seed trays shows another lavendar up so that makes 4. Been snowing off and on all day today supposed to continue through tomorrow. Word has it that we may get some of that storm that hit TX by Thursday,. Hoping tomorrow is fairly decent as a burial is scheduled for tomorrow in one of the cementarys behind our place.

Always up for a new recipe Mindy! Glad your nephew has someone to take over. I'm the oldest I can relate. LOL Four lavender sprouts is a spring sign.

Sundews are great gnat catchers aren't they RRM. Mine are like sticky paper. I'lI need a bunch of them if it stays warm and rains anymore. SAND GNATS!

I have old type pear trees called Callery pears. Ornamental like Bradford. Mine are dying off year by year. The freeze usually gets them. The bark just splits. Pretty when they bloom but when they are old they are pretty messy with broken branches etc. I lost my forest pansy redbud this summer to verticillium wilt. Untreatable. Not a good tree year for some of my old ornamentals. Making way for something new. :)

Dave's been keeping them out of a rut today. :) Where's Mekos?

Enid, OK

I haven't heard from Mekos since Thursday - send dmail and private email - nothing! I hope this is just due to the connection problem she forwarned us about. I hope to $%^# she ain't in jail for shootin' that dog! That's what would happen to me, it could kill three people and if I shot it, I would go to jail. I used to have game rangers follow me around - figured they could keep me out of trouble that way - fishing, hunting...always tried to hedge the rules just a little bit, not now though, I am a grandma - have to show a good example. ROFLOL

I guess I won't complain about the wind here today too much, I didn't see any damage. Of course, if I had a hoop green house, I would have to fetch it from Joeswife in Derby KS. (Actually wind blew out of west all day - kinda different). Gave the trash a new direction to blow I guess, I live a mile west and a half mile south of Wal-Mart and Lowes - lots of trash blows out here from town.

Mindy - glad someone has taken over your nephews care - should make a huge difference for him! We will keep praying for him and his family.
Ham buns - yep, I will try them if you don't mind sharing the recipe. After the dumplings, I'd say you are a pretty good cook.

RRM - sorry I have to work and can't keep you company - the thread has certainly slowed down. When Mekos gets back we should have a contest for a fish bowl candle and maybe some surprise seeds?? Just a thought - seems we need to keep something goin' on to keep us all here.

I have some Christmas cactus growing - if someone would like some, let me know. I will use what's left for trading later. I also have some (I think 4) borros tail started - they are just now taking root. RRM, your begonia is doin' good, you might actually get it this spring!

Gotta go, need to do laundry and get my old granny butt to bed.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think mekos got to spend the weekend with her GD for the first time in years! If we don't hear from her by tomorrow I will call her and make sure she's alright. She disappears sometimes - lol...

Nite everyone!

Enid, OK

Oh my goodness!! Who'd have ever thunk it?? I have sprouts at least two Lupines and 1 Black Eyed Susan Vine - yippee - I can grow stuff!!!

Mount Vernon, OH

Hello! I don't "talk" much on this thread. I get lost from everyone talking. lol. Here in ohio, we got more snow and cold. I can't wait til spring! I have hibicus growing, passionflowers growing, calla lilies growing, mimosa growing, trying to get bat flowers growing, gerber daisies growing, rosemary growing,....well I am just trying this and that.

Arejay, do you still need bat flowers? I have 3 seeds of a brown bat flower left from planting...I also have a WHOLE lot of seeds for you. I hope you can use them all. lol.
Tish

This message was edited Jan 26, 2010 7:02 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.