Morning Glories 2009

NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Some photos of the morning glories grown in 2009 variegated green and yellow leaf.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

flower and leaf

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Count Drac from patootie
I loved the cool toned subtle color. Thanks !

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Khokan and Blue Silk from Gerris ebay seeds from 2007. Sitting and looking up under them was one of the joys of the summer.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

From Becky, Blue Asago Willow. The blooms were beautiful. This vine climbed a gold vicary privet thaty was limbed up, and it went up 8 feet or so.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

The leaves on the Blue Asago willow began to change after a while. They were so interesting looking! I had seen leaves like this on another post.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Purple Hige from Emma. This made lots of flowers, and filled it's side of the arbor. Really lovely. Thanks, Emma

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

China Doll from Emma. My neighbor loved this one! It traveled over the fence, and she looked at the flowers with her morning coffee before work.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

I finally figured out how to use the macro lense. China Doll.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Khokan from Becky and Purpurea from Gerris. Some of the Purps were striped or almost white. This combo was DH's favorite .

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Different pattern of Purpurea on the same arbor

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Another one from that arbor.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

This is a volunteer that climbed the Sedums and Lysmachia. It had small flowers that made big nil sized seeds.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Joyce Cobb from Seedsower. Another beauty.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure what this one is called. It was from Emma. The color and pattern was like nothing I'd seen before.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Purple Hige with a little red in it. The only one on the vine that was like this.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Purple Blizzard and Blue Silk.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

This came from Khokan seeds from Becky. A little bit different from the others on this plant.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Oheme

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Fire Red *not* from MG Japan. The soil here might have affected the color.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

There were several colors of Sunsmiles. This is one. Each plant just had a few flowers.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Star Of India

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Purple Hige

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

The color detail on this flower is nice. It must have had light moisture on it or humidity to create this effect.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Wild Mg's that turn up all over the yard.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Thunbergia Sunrise Surprise.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

I also grew Gypsy Bride from Emma, but haven't found the picture. I am growing some MGs inside this year. They don't have the second sets of leaves yet. I have enjoyed eveyone's pics, and thought I would post the better pics of the MGs I grew. Thanks to all who sent seeds!
Sarah

NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Gardening pal

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

The one I called Joyce Cobb is actually Rebecca. The purple Higes all had a bit of red at the end of the day, but the one I posted separately was more so.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Handsome garden pal. Sarah, loved all your blooms, really special.
The Kohkan with the tIe dye effect is very pretty.
Your China Doll bloom is to die for.
Jackie

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Sarah, forgot to say your pics are awesome.

NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks! From my Garden Pal and me.

Your photography is awesome, Sarah, really stunning! What camera do you use?

Good to see Blue Silk and Kohkan and the flaked purpurea looking so fine in their new home. All the flowers were beautiful!

Which MGs are you growing this winter?

Joseph

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Sarah - Love your blooms! Looks like 2009 was a really successful year for MGs in your garden! Makes me long for Spring! :-) LOL! (I never I thought I'd say that from Florida!) Most of my yard looks like a Northern yard due to the brown and dead plants from all the freezes we had recently. I do like the Kohkan, Purple Blizzard, and Blue Silk blooms! As well as your higes!

Cute gardening buddy, too! :-)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful blooms from this past year! :-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

WOW! Just found this thread! Sarah, you have a wonderful Green Morning Glory thumb... I am glad I got to come and see all your beautiful growouts. I love them.. my favorite is your china doll. count drac is my second favorite. I am glad you have a Gardening Pal on four legs. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful Garden of Morning Glorys.

NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!
Joseph, the camera is a Canon Powershot A560, a very simple one to operate, thankfully.
I am growing a Tagged Purple Blizzard-Sunsmiles-Count Drac-Fuji No Murasaki-Fuji No Ao-Apricot Candy-Monet No Fuji-Varigated green/yellow leaf-Lady Yagurama K.and one marked "seeds from laundry room (?)" I have no idea what that will turn out to be.

Becky,
The yard yard is mostly snow right now. Winter lasts quite a while here, so something to look at in winter is pleasant. There are evergreens, grasses and shrubs with berries, for Dax the Gardenin' Pal to investigate. It keeps him pretty busy. The rabbits are equally busy using the shrubs to sharpen their teeth

Debra,
I have enjoyed you MG adventures! Your basement in winter with so many lush plants with the varied heights and shapes reminds me of a tropical oasis. I don't have much in the way of tropicals, or non hardy plants to bring in, so I call my overwintering area the "typing table jungle" :-)

Sarah

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Please post pictures of your growouts this winter, I can't wait to see them. I really like your green yellow varigated, so hope that turns out for you.

NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Debra, will do. I have just one seed left.. It's in a paper towel in a baggie. The other 2 seeds sown directly into the pot have not germinated and it's been two weeks. It made 3 seeds, so I'm waiting and checking to see if the little root tail comes out in the baggie method. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It was a cute plant. The flowers were small, Fuji No Murasaki lookingand they never opened up all the way. Two others I am growing is Cha Cha Maru, and one that says " Nil with Red Blush"

NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

My seed growing set up. Double lights above, heating element below.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

My first seed collecting was 2009. I noticed these meds containers at Dollar Tree. After drying the seeds in the little organdie bags, as Becky showed on her seed container thread, put tape over the top of each compartment, and with a fine felt marker, I write the info on the top. A tiny piece of paper towel is put in there and then the seeds. Then I put that into a larger plastic container and into the closet under the stairs, where it's dark and dry. I didn't get hundreds of seeds from any one vine, so the compartments are more than big enough. If I had alot of one kind of seed, I will use 2 compartments, or more. I learned the seed storing teratment from the posts here , so I knew how to dry them, and store them.

Thumbnail by quaintcharm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.