Seeds from Italy, splitting an order

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Seeds from Italy home page: http://growitalian.com/index.html

I'm planning to place an order with "Seeds from Italy", a distributor for Franchi Seeds from Italy. I've grown their seeds before and been very pleased, and their packets are usually extremely generous. Even the regular packets are big enough for several people to share, and they have some bulk/jumbo packs also.

Shipping: Orders from $2.50-$10.00 are $3.50; $10.01 to $25.00 are $4.85; $25 to $40. are $5.85; $40.01 to 65 are $6.85; and above $60, the shipping charge $7.85.

I'll cover the first $3.50 since I'm ordering a couple of packs regardless. So other people ordering will be splitting no more than $4.35 in shipping cost.

For sure, I'll be ordering Chiogga Beets (striped red & white) and Trionfo di Violetto pole beans (purple! and tasty). I've probably got all the tomato seeds I need, but if there are particular varieties you want to try from Franchi, let me know because I can check to see if I might just have a few seeds in my stash to share instead.

Please post here what you are interested in ordering. That's better than Dmail, because it'll be easier for people to split packets etc. here on the thread.

At the end of the week, we'll figure out our final order so I can place the order early next week. Please post what you want before 11:59 pm on Friday Jan 15. I'll try to get an invoice Dmailed to you over the weekend.

I'll bring the seeds to the Frederick swap. Paying me at the swap (cash or check) is fine for those who will be at the swap.

You can also participate by mail, as long as we don't get too many people (say, up to 10). It will make things simpler on my end if you can pay via PayPal and have a mailing address on your PayPal account (I can easily print out a mailing/postage label that way).

Thanks!

"Shop for Seeds" index page: http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi

Seeds being ordered so far (* asterisk indicates a pack that somebody is willing to split)

* Beet, Chioggo (striped red & white)
* Pole Bean, Trionfo di Violetto (purple & tasty, I've grown it before)
* Rucula Sylvetta -
* Artichoke Big Romanesco

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 2:14 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jill, I would probably share your order, to try some of their basil and tomatoes. Ric
Holly may chime in here yet! LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ric, I'm not sure, but I think my "real Italian basil" came from a Franchi packet... but I don't know for sure if it would have been the Neopolitan or the Genovese, although I think it's the Genovese.

:-)

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Jill dear..........................put me in for some of those white and red striped beets. I'll paypal you whatever, whenever you say.
May our precious Lord continue to bless youz and your Joy,
Sylvia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sylvia, I know I owe somebody 'Chiogga' beet seeds from last year (didn't get them ordered in time after other seeds were confiscated by customs)... was it you? I've searched through my Dmails and can't find it!

How many beet seeds do you want? 100-ish? The packs are pretty generous, even the regular size ones, so we could split a pack unless you need hundreds of them.

(and thanks... I'm going to have such fun gardening with my girl!)

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Don't need a 100, but whatever, i could always save some for next year.
Sylvia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK! I'll be glad to share my pack with you... if we have others wanting to share, we'll split a larger pack. :-)

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Critter,

I would be interested in the following and would take all of the seeds or share if someone else is interested.

Rucula Sylvetta -

Artichoke Big Romanesco

Thanks

Teri

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Just wanted to say I've ordered from him too and the seeds were terrific with great germination and the packets are huge - it wouldn't be any problem splitting packets unless you want to plant massive quantities of something.

Be sure to browse through and read the seed descriptions too. He has some pretty interesting things that you won't find elsewhere.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Jill, if it's not too late can you put these with your order. These are two types my Italian teacher have been looking for.

Tomato Cuor di Bue - Oxheart (1 pack)
http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=000102

Tomato San Marzano Redorta - Franchi (1 pack)
http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=000208

Also, if it's not a problem or too much can you add this cheese grater from their kitchen tools. I highly recommend this cheese grater. I've used the one my Italian teacher has and it by far beats anything you can buy here in the states. I haven't been able to really find the exact one she has until I saw this.
http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1089193330

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Will do, absolutely!

If anybody needs more time, please post. I'd like to get the order ready to place over the weekend (when my time is less interrupted LOL).

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--

I DO remember that your "from Italy" basil you had labeled "Genovese".....
IF you are totally out of seeds for this Basil--I have collected some and will share back with you.

I will have small quantities per envelope of it at the Seed Swap.

Off topic question----
Hod do I transfer a picture from PF and add it to my Trade list? There are a few seed "haves" I do not have a picture of.
Would like to do the envelopes again like I had last year. Easy-Peasy!

Thanks, Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm so glad you saved seeds from my "from Italy" basil! I've grown a lot of different basils, but this is my main "must have" variety for pesto & other culinary use. I have seeds for my own use, but I didn't get any saved this past summer to share around. It's always very popular! :-)

And yes, I've been labeling that basil as "Genovese" because to me it looked like a Genovese type. I'm unclear on the difference between Genovese & Napoleonto basils, and Franchi offers both... I think my original seeds were packed by Franchi, but I couldn't say with 100% certainty which one I have. I'd have to grow them out side by side... which might be worth doing, just for fun... but I'd have a lot of extra seeds if I ordered packets of both!

Anybody want to do a comparitive basil grow-out with me?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Funny--but at HD they have that separate, green-canopied vegetable/herb display by "Bonnie" Plants.
They really do offer a wide variety of herbs and vegetables and keep them refreshed a few times a week by bringing new ones.

I have seen a basil that they have tagged as "Genovese" Basil and I have always wondered if that is the same one you had?????
Hey! For $2+ bucks--i should try one out......

G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've seen the Bonnie Plants basil, and I'd say the leaves on mine are quite different... theirs looks like what DeBaggio calls "sweet basil" -- nice, but the flavor is not particularly intense. It would be a nice mild one to add to green salads, I bet.

OK -- hopefully anybody else wanting to order will pop out of the woodwork... Ric?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Order was placed! This didn't end up being complicated, so I didn't need to do a big invoice thing. LOL

Sylvia, please Dmail me with your snail mail address. We'll have to figure out what else I can send you to make the postage worthwhile, LOL.

Roses, I'll split those arugula seeds with you, so your seeds will come to $5.

Miata, your damage is $20 with the tomatoes and your cheese grater. I took your recommendation as gold, and I ordered 2 graters, 1 for me and 1 for my SIL. :-)

Thanks, everybody!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Your gonna love your grater Jill! I told my teacher I got the seeds for her and she was thrilled. Let me know when the order comes in and I'll come over and visit you and the little one for a while.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, but you don't need an excuse to drop by, Miata! Just let me know if you're ever free for lunch or coffee break.

Critter,

If you let me know exactly how much I owe you for the artichokes and the arrugula, I will send the money with Stormy.

Hope she reminds me about it on Saturday. I might forget about it if we get too involved.

Thanks

Teri

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Roses, if you're still willing to let me take a couple pinches of arugula out of your pack, then you owe me $5 for both packs of seed. If you want the whole pack of arugula, then you own me $6.15. If you get distracted on Saturday, we can just do PayPal. I'm easy. LOL

(Shipping for the order was on me, since I was ordering anyway... and I got one of my seed packs free because we collectively ordered over a dozen packets, which offsets the shipping some.)

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Critter I know I don't need an excuse, just a little motivation to come out of winter hibernation ^_^

Critter,

We did get too busy on Saturday to get even half of our projects and ideas covered. Please let me know how to pay you on paypal.

I will take a pinch of the arugula seeds.

Thanks

Teri

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Teri, do you want me to stick your seeds in my purse on Wednesday (Philly Show) or get them to you another way? Are you participating by mail in tomorrow's swap? LMK!

Critter, you can take the seeds with you for Wednesday. There is a prediction for snow for Wednesday. If we can't get together, then I would ask you to send them to me, please.

I sent whatever I had left in my seed box to Stormy. There was some problem with the postage but she may have retrieved them by now.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Will do, Roses!

THIS JUST IN

Dutch Plant Farms will be giving us a 15% discount on all non-sale items today!!!

This does include statuary, supplies, etc., not just plants... and they have a lot of neat stuff.

(Terri, bring your receipt for that peacock, maybe they'll give you some $ back.)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Jill, do they carry Zucchetta rampicante? We grew it many years ago and like it's name, it grows rampant and produces many tasty fruits.It's that Long green zucchini with a bulbous bottom (much like myself) Hahahahaha LMK & thanks. Buttoneer

This message was edited Mar 1, 2010 10:43 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

not sure... link is in the top post. I've ordered for this year, probably not worth your placing an order for just 1 thing (shipping is $).

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Judy, Try Pinetree seeds, this might be what you are looking for Zucchetta Ramp Tromboncino
https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=92

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the link. Sounds great. They surely do grow rampantly and take over the garden but produce a whole lotta yummy fruit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.