Propagation: part XII based on my own experience

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Very good info Dave. They grow like weeds here in Las Vegas. They do get nipped here from a mild frost but they can be trimmed back and they grow right back. I am in charge of the landscape in the Greenbelt area with the work being done by the landscapers. I had not seen yellow oleanders before and I am having many old rosemary plants removed and I am looking for something to take their place. Thanks for being so nice.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

When I was a young child my mother had an oleander in a large pot in the front entryway of our home. I will never forget it, as it bloomed continuously. It was a red. I started one from seed a few years ago but couldn't get it to bloom so I gave it to my sister to put in her greenhouse but she lost it one year when the power went out and she wasn't home.

Jeanette

Pawleys Island, SC

Withad, I use an aquarium, heater in my bubbler and yes I use a top. It just seems to help hold the condensation in and the plants seem to enjoy the humidity. I do not put any fertilizer in the water, but I will use peroxide to keep the algae down and add even more o2. the plants seem to love it.

I built my cloner by using the plans I found at: http://seventhstreetcottage.blogspot.com/2009/01/cloning-machine-works.html. It works real well for me.

My weather has improved and I am able to get out now. I will be starting daylily seeds tomorrow and hopefully start some cuttings in my bubbler too. I love rainy days, but if it rains, I hope it will wait until late in the day.
Hope everyone is well and happy.
Linda

Warren Center, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks, when I bought the plastic tubs they came in a set of two so I have a ready made top. I am going out and get a heater today. Glad I didn't put any fertilizer in, but I do use the peroxide on all my plant to keep down the gnats.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi you all, I have been waiting for the lady that gave me the instructions to make a cloner to let me know if it was ok to give them out with her name on them and she let me know tonight that it was ok.

They are pretty long or I would post them. So, if you want them I will send them individually. Or, if enough of you want them I will go ahead and post them, or start a new thread. That might be best. Let me know what you think.

Jeanette

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

jeanette:
I apreciate the info. It looks great. I have yet to read it all. Posting it here would be great. starting a new thread might help those just looking for info on how to. I know I do a search on a key word and use it to find a specific idea or plans. I really enjoy everyone here and all there input it helps.
we had 60 degree weather the last 2 days. I am taking a break today so I can get back at it tomorrow.
Anyone know about Oposums? where they sleep and what they do in life besides road kill? I got curious about it when this one showed up.
well thats about it for now. ad as always I will most likely end up doing something I just can't keep still all day unless I am hurt. so it will be fun to see how long I can do nothing today. What is everyone doing today, this week? I know a few of us are starting seeds and cloneing. any other activities?
Yesterday I started pulling back the leaves I used to insulate the containers, boy I believe it was a mistake but I will know more in the upcoming months. It looked like a lot of decay on the plants or they are either dormant or dead on the rest. I am praying they will be fine. next year I hope to build poly covers to use like cold frames. It will help to keep the temps up a bit.
I am also planning to install micro-irrigation system to water the containers so I don't have to spend so much time watering every one. It also will give some peace of mind when I leave for a few days. I hope to post the info on that later on as I start installing it.
Have a great day
Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey, that is some ugly bugger. Know nothing about them except they play dead. Eat stuff and come out at night. Be careful he is not rabid. He should not be out in the daytime I do not think.
I lost so many plants in the greenhouse this year. I am almost finished cleaning it up but I still have a few days work in there before I can even start my seeds and cuttings. I had to make room for the flats.
Today it is in the 50s but cool and cloudy. Not nice at all. The sun is warm when it is out, but even the birds are not making much noise today. Geese are moving but not North or South, they are going East and West. Hmmmmmm. Who knows what is coming by water. Must be another coastal storm. We are to have some mixed stuff tonight from the West.
I must to go my journal and remove the things I lost before I forget it. Think I will play games on Facebook and then maybe take a nap. LOL Later.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave, google that guy. Will tell you a lot. We had a bob cat out here last night after the birds suet. Normally the raccoons are the culprits but this time it was a cat. I have found just the simple little baskets hung high enough on the shepherds hooks work the best. I had a nice suet holder and the raccoons tore it apart.

Bob went out and fired a half a dozen shots with a .22 at it so we may not have any more problems with it. I don't want them hanging around 'cause I put my little blind dog out on a lead line. The bigger dog is usually out at the same time, but that doesn't mean much. She is kind of a chicken.

Well, if I knew how to start a new thread Dave I would do it. I read the other threads and there are a lot of different ways to do it and reach the same conclusion I think. The one thread he says to go to Wormsway and get a pump for around $20. I will take a look.

Looks just like the one that comes on my porch and eats my cat food. UUUUGGGGLLLYYY. Haven't seen him lately though, someone told me to put chewed chewing gum in the food. They apparently can't digest it and it blocks them up, I haven't seen him since I started doing it so maybe it does work. I got my bubbler up and running with a new quiet pump and heater and hope it does the trick. I started coleus, geraniums, frittonias, grape ivy, swedish ivy, and begonias. Gotta be easier than all those pill bottles on the window sill, though I do kind of miss them. At least now I don't have to reach over the AV's to add water all the time. Envy all of you with your 50 and 60's, still in the 15's and 20's here, can't wait to get the greenhouse started, but I think I have a few months before that happens. Started a few seeds but need more seed flats before I can do more, have some on order so don't want to go to Lowes as I usually come home with more new plants and the better half is starting to get a LITTLE touchy, I think it was the Banana Plant that came yesterday that did her in. Plus, most of my Ponytail palms and Bird of Paradise seeds have sprouted and I have them in little coke bottle terraniums all over the place. She told me she is going to stop drinking Seltzer so I won't have access to so many bottles. Sometimes she can be so mean. I mean it could be worse, I could raise elephants to eat all the elephant bushes that I bought at Lowes ( hey they were on sale for 10cents a six pack, couldn't pass them up). Well, gotta go to work for a few hours today, catch you all later.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Bird of Paradise, OH Wow....do you have any extra seeds or a small plant you would sell me? I would love to try and raise that. JB

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Howdy: be aware it takes 7 years to bloom a BOP. at least that was the story I had told to me. they are fun to grow. Just soak and plant in sunny spot.
well the little visitor was gone yesterday. I think he was lost because another one was dead in the road on the other side of our wall. my house backs up to a main street. You would think it was real noisy but it not really. a lot better than some We looked at. I could not her my dear wife talk to me over the road noise.
With I do understand DW was fit to be tied last year at what came inside. the banannas are huge all my tropicals and the fun little fungus gnats ...oh the gnats they sent her over the edge. I have not had one gnat since moving to the garage. the cart being inclosed with a plactic cover that zips up keeps it vert nice. I just hope I can keep the cat off the bottom shelf. I don't think cuttings will be happy with the lttle fluff ball rolled up on them.
i have to figuire out how to close off the bottom to keep him out of it. it was cute the 1st time but then when I have it full I will be p.o'ed if he is in there.
I started my day lily seeds soaking todat Monday i will plant them and do the next batch. I think I have 2 - 300 seeds to plant. but its my 3rd year and I should be able to sell off some of the seedlings this year ...I hope.... the market place has been good to me so far.
Well its nap:30 everyone have a great day
Dave

I heard the same thing about how long they take to flower from seed but hopefully I have that many left in me. That's providing the better half doesn't do me in first. I haven't had much of a gnat problem since I started using the peroxide in my water. I get an occasional one here and there but no where near as many as when I first brought everything inside. Plus if anything, I tend to underwater rather than overwater so that may help also. Work was sooooo boring today, I think we had two customers all day, I wound up scrubbing the wall behind the ovens and scrubbed the fryer and the floor under it. This economy is really taking it's toll on our customer base, people are just not buying anything unless they need it. I manage a deli in a local supermarket and I should be working every day but there just isn't enough work to keep everyone working 30-40 hours a week, I'm retired twice so I have a decent income without having to work so I just keep cutting my hours so I don't have to lay anyone off. Three of the four I have working for me have families and the other is working two jobs just to make ends meet so they do need the hours more than I do. Plus it gives me more time for my plants and time to agitate the better half. Every once in a while she'll ask " Don't you have something to do at work". That's kind of my hint to clear out for a few hours and give her some space. So I go in and check things out and BS with the help and my boss then head home. Must work, been married 43 years today and don't you know SHE forgot ( maybe I didn't rub that in ) it was our anniversary. She has as many senior moments as I do so it keeps us hopping and happy.
JB, I think the plants are still a little small to be sending through the mail but I might have some seeds left, I'll check and let you know for sure. I'm not sure if I sent all my extras to Lazlo or not.

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Happy Anniversary, Withad, wish you many more. 43 beats our 37. hehe have a great day, Lee

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Yes congratulations or happy anniversary which is it? Not many couples last that long now a days. My folks have been together 47 years ...ooops I just gave my age away....
Mine is now going on 8 years I think 2002 to now thats 8 is it not? we get along well in all aspects and she know if I did not play with my plants I would do absolutely nothing, except what I had to and I am sure I would be On a scooter by now.
OH WELL LIFE GOES ON
dAVE

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks a heck of a lot Dave. I am not sure I will ever see it grow at that rate. Oh well, I will leave it to you in my will. LOL

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I am new to this thread but I need help on rooting cuttings, easily. I read what to do, but it does not seem to work, my friend roots a lot of trees and stuff soaking them in a vase for months, but mine just rot. I don't have a heat mat or grow lights, but please explain how you can afford to have a light running day and night, especially if one is a black light, as I was told, they get hot.

Help? I want to grow cutting really bad. I started winter sowing and have it down to a fine art, improving all the time, but it is so time consuming and messy. I will keep doing it though until I master the cuttings.

I heard you can easily root anything in wet sand? Is that true? How long does it usually take to root a cutting and how long can you cut it and it still root?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I've not done hardwood cuttings so will let an expert address that for you.

With soft cuttings I never had a whole lot of success rooting in water and transplanting. But soft cuttings do great for me rooting in a light potting mix. I've done things like petunias, pelargoniums, and hypoestes which did well, and coleus almost take care of themselves. I take the cutting, stick in a light mix, and keep under a humidity dome or in a plastic bag for about a week and they do well. A light mix and high humidity seem to be key.

Maybe you would have more luck with rooting in soil. A lot of people seem to have success with hardwoods by sticking them in the garden soil and rooting as they break dormancy. I'll let someone experienced address that though.

Karen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I think the most basic thing in trying to root anything, is picking your time. Plants know when it is time for them to grow, and when it is time for them to rest. For instance, take brugs, which a lot of people try to root. If you catch them when they are still in their blooming mode, then they will root very easily. A lot of people prune at the end of summer preparing them for winter storage inside. If you try to root those before it is time for them to sleep they will root. If you wait a few weeks after, then it is more difficult. (not impossible)

As for running a light bulb around the clock, why would you do that? All climates have their nighttime when the sun is gone unless you are in the time when Alaska etc are light 24 hours a day. Therefore, turn out the light 8 hours.

What are you trying to root? Have you tried a cloner? There are instructions for making your own and should be able to for around 30 or 40 dollars. Have you tried a bubbler?

One other thing, I am in the process of making a cloner and I think this is the time of year, coming up, to try to root woody plants. They will be waking up to start growing again for summer. I suppose it would be best if you wait until the sap is up in the plant first. Not sure when that would be. Think it depends on where you are and your weather. In your zone 8, this may not apply.

Soft cuttings like Karen is talking about, I would say as long as you get them anytime they aren't sleeping (dead in the case of annuals like petunias) then they should root. Some plants are perennial depending on your area. Like coleus. Therefore, you can grow them as houseplants anywhere. Those should root easily.

These are just my opnions based on my experience in zone 5. and from reading.

There are some main issues to consider:

Your growing climate
Time of year and what it means to the type of plant you want to root.
Procedure you are using.

In zone 8, I would say it is probably procedure. You use different procedures for different plants. If you have willow trees in your area take a piece of one, a small piece off a branch, and put it in with your cuttings.

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070861/

Did you all see this?

Jeanette

edited to change the url address

This message was edited Jan 24, 2010 9:40 AM

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

hi all
Hellen: the keys to propigation is Timing (when to take a cutting) proper soil temp, high humidity and adequate light. I use 16 hours on a timer. My advise is to buy a starter kit with a dome, no-hole flat and a heat mat. a few options are from here. the reason I would start with this is it gets you into it with little $$$$ out lay and lets you know how far you want to go with it. even though I have all the memories from the past I started with one of these to see just how necessary the heat mat was. I swear by them. If I had to choose one book I would go with "Plant propagation A to Z" by Geoff Bryant. it has a lot of specifics on different plants.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Indoor-Growing-Kits/products/1155/

Once you decide you wish to expand there are a lot of how 2 do it yourself how to threads to do what you want to acomplish.
I am currently using a highdoller growing cart witha ply tent over it to increase humidity. I am in the proces of converting 2 plastic shelves from the big box store, 2' x 4' - 6 shelves high. I plan to build a tent like structure out of pvc and poly sheetings (basic plastic) from the paint isle. I will cover this with another detailed post later on with how t build and where the parts come frm..
Ok I do a lot of woody rnamentals and most of them prefer semi hardwood. semi hardwood is the section between the new green growth and the woody dark color barked stems. I realize I will most likely get smeone saying no its this or that and I m nuts. well its how I know to explain it.
In my initial opening of the propagation thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/892721/

August 28, 2008's post starts a pictured how to on most cuttings. Please read this and ask if you have any questions. i do realize its a short cut but its worth looking over.
I am still working on condensing the thread down to a smal how 2 so everyone can have small doc files to review or to build a note book to reference from.
I hope this is not too confusing as I was called away several times and had to re-initilalize my train of thought so I am sure its not as good as I hope for.
Dave

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Ok the timing thing makes more sense to me. I think the hard wood would be better to root and not rot in water too. I have to investigate the rest of the threads, but thank you all.

I have a cloner and am just now trying to root stuff from my x h's house that I planted years ago in my cloner. The last time it did not go well, everything suddenly went black and mushy and rotted but maybe it was the time. Things are just budding here so I am going to try again. I will go and pillage my friend's roses and attempt it there too.

I need more evergreen shrubs and don't have many, so I will need to cut other people once again. lol Maybe I can grow some herbs from cuttings too and root my halls honeysuckle.

Thanks again. I have not tried bagging the stuff I have in pots rooting indoors and I need to put light there because it is dark in my house, so that is a big help too.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hellen: one thing about the gro bags is they will grow out the bottom so moving them a couple times through out the season would be a big help, if they are in their bag more than a few months.
Its funny how we pillage from every where we can.
sorry to cut this short my mom's getting out of the hospital today. take care
more tomorrow
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Let me ask you guys, when cloning have you tried scraping a short section of the bark away, down to the cambium of the cutting?

Dave, what do you think about my waiting until the weather has warmed enough so it doesn't freeze, to put my cloner on the deck to start it? Do you think it would still be too cold?

Jeanette

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I don't know what a grow bag is or what it looks like or where you get them?

It is fun to take cuttings of other people's plants and in shopping centers and take seeds and deadhead plants at the nursery? lol My friend and I use to be the midnight raiders when we were young, taking the seeds from the neighbors hollyhocks and such.

If you help me figure this out, you will only encourage my bad habits.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jeanette: I do that on most all my cuttings. It seems to help give me more roots. as far as waiting it should not be an issue just watch those night time temps. I do know from a timing stand point you will have bigger plants to put out if you do them now and plant them to grow over the next few months. space being the limiting factor.
Hellen: I try to collect what I can of the generic stuff but when it comes to specific species and cultivar I buy my seeds and grow them. I have found that there are those who are real picky on the species and cultivar and others who really don't care it just looks pretty. now if its just for you to use and give away I would do the raids. I know some folks think its a nono and you probably should ask but I have found its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. Now this only applies to my seed collecting and cuttings. So tell me am I going to plant collector's prison???
rain mixed with sleet and ice/snow tonight 1 - 1.5 inch's tomorrow. high tomorrow 29 .... brrr
Stay warm
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave, why was your mom in the hospital? How is she now? OK? I sure hope it is nothing serious.

Dave, what are you calling a grow bag? I bought some black bags that are like a paper lunch sack only plastic. I think in a coop of Lorraine's, (btw have you heard anything from or about her?) Are those what you mean?

And, why are you using those instead of like 4" pots? I would like to know all of these things before I start using my cloner.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jeanette:
My Mom is back out of the hospital. she spent the weekend in the hospital recovering from staff infection from her breast cancer. She was running a fever and went to the er 3 times. they messed up big time. One hospital told her it was not related to her surgery and was not life threatening and to not come to the er if it was concerning her last surgery. her family doctor took one look at her site and blew a gasket. she was in her room a few hours later. No waiting for the er or any bs. They ended up cleaning up the from the last operation. it was 3 different types of staff infection. I just thought staff was staff. I do know it got its name..... from the ease of the hospital staff to spread it.
I am refering to the black plast bags we got in the co-op Lorraine managed. I had seen them being used in mexico and thought they were a good Idea. How ever having used them I am back to the plastic pots and sheet pots.
I am leaning heavy on the sheet pots. i believe they are a great thing and only have one flaw I can see, is that some times one or a few tend to come loose from the sheet and that makes it almost manditory to use the web trays with them. Having reused the sheet pots they are good for 3 or 4 rotations and if left in the direct sun they will become warped and out of shape. I think its just my cheapness coming out. I have found that the heavier 4" pots last a bit longer than the sheet pots but not a whole lot longer because of the plastic becoming fragile and crumbles or shatters in the hand.
I am not using the bags on many things. I know I need to either sell them or use them up. I think a good use for them would be to plant the entire bag when the root ball is not stong enough to hold the soil together. I realize this is nota "green" use. Any ideas on how to use them? I know I bought a lot of them. Maybe put them out for trade. any one need any? I have a lot of different sizes. I do think I will keep the big ones as the 10 gallon and up are expensive when in pot form instead of bag.
Dave
I do like the 3.5" (or 3.25 ???) instead of the 4" because it gives a similar size pot but cuts the expense of soil and shipping weight which in turn equals more expense added to the buyers shipping cost.

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave, hospitals are the dirtiest places in the world. I know, you wouldn't think so, but they are not cleaned good enough and patients contaminate each other. All the times I have been in them I am amazed I haven't had more trouble.

Dave, how about using the bags in the stronger pots of the ones you are going to be mailing so you don't have to disturb the roots. You could just take them out of the pots and send them that way. All packaged already. Is that possible?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Dave I am like you in that I take seeds or cuttings, which seldom root for me, (why I am here) from people or places that would not care or miss the piece, but I joke about it, I would not steal. I have seriously thought about going to repo homes where I knew the plants would not make it through the hot summer here and take them, but have not and won't.
It is so sad to see though, knowing the plants will die.

I have my cloner going but I need more light I think. I have been trying the light thing, but I need a better light and I have no plastic cover or anything that won't melt if put above the light at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your mothers problem, same thing happened to my wife when she was in the hospital. When I questioned the doctor about how it could have happened he totally changed the subject and closed ranks.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

They never want to admit they were wrong or it was something they did. Oh well she's home now ... the antibiotic reatail wes 90 dollars each or 5400 for the month.
Bracing for the horrid weather. suposed to start at noonish. sounds like a good reason to stay in bed...LOL

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

No that is true and they won't. Even when they know they did it, even when it is criminal, they will not admit it or make it right and nobody wins those kinds of suites either if someone tries. Not that you were going to try. We are all in danger of dieing according to Oprah, since all the meat is injected with anitbiotics and making us immune.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Greetings from the snowy winterland:
we dogged the bullett. we got about 1/2 of ice and its now snowing something fierce. we have about 3" and more coming down. Its nice to watch for a day or so. good thing we will warm up next week and it will go away again.
I am waiting on cuttings and some supplies, I hate waiting on stuff.
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What cuttings did you order Dave? Rooted or?? They showed us all your ice on the national news. Nasty stuff. Waiting on stuff is better than having to go get it in that ice and snow.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Dave according to Las Vegas weather news you are wiped out. Just stay inside for a couple of days and all will be well. Or book a flight to Las Vegas for the whole family. We have two guest bedrooms and the flights are cheap. We will be in mid 60s for the next 10 days. Just think about it. You could help me as my fingers goes through the soil instead of frozen tundra. And i m retired and so is DH so we could go see the Grand Canyon, Zion in Utah, Hoover Dam. Just sit in the sun shine and veg out. It is your choice. I have to be here on Fridays because I babysit Baby Luke, 3 month old grandson. You could write off the trip coming to see my worm pen. We actually told our accountant that is great but first you must have income to write off from. Nada.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

He probably can't get out of his driveway to get to the airport. lol

We are spoiled but we pay in our tough growing conditions.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Howdy:
well we dodged the bullet. at the last moment we had a trough of dry air slide in so we did not get as much ice as we could have. We got about 7" of snow on top of our 1/2" of ice. No power loss at my house yipeee.... funny thing is my wife is an accountant and if it can be argued she will use it.
It did hit alot of folks pretty hard. It was so pretty this mornin a white blankie of snow. a wierd note though. we came home from blockbuster about 30 min. ago...the car slid down the drive way. luckily it stoped before it went into the road. It was wierd like we had a ghost.
I would like to see las wages ...It does have some neat stuff to see. its funny how there are many micro climates all over even in our own little comunities. It seems we have a turn pike that all tornado's follow as well as the bad storms. we get pelted with hail quite often.
worm pen???? is that a prison for worms? where you keep the worms you round up off of the prairie???
hellen we will be there tomorrow.... I just have to find a flight and ....hmmm I keep thinking i am forgetting something..... hmmm OH yea the cash to buy tickets.... I am a bit goofy at the moment if you can't tell
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

How are you feeling Dave:? Better I hope. Are you snowed in?

How about you Lee, are you snowed in?

I think we re the only ones in the country that didn't have a ton of snow this winter. Everyone is lovin' it. We all are waiting for the other shoe to drop, it is still just February, so we still could get some snow. We do have a lot of ice in the driveway. It is uphill so hard for vehicles to get in.

Even the UPS guy stops at the bottom and walks up to the house.

Sometimes he leaves the stuff at the post office.

Oh well, I can live with this.

Nite all. Jeanette

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hi Jeanette:
I was doing ok untill the last storm dropped on us. I don't know why but I am having trouble getting going. we still have some snow in the grassy areas but most has melted off. I am still waiting for cuttings delivery I would think it would be this week.
How is everyone else doing? I am betting JB is snowed in really bad.
Dave

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey, I just went to PA and shot the groundhog who saw his shadow and predicted 6 more weeks of winter. He is one dead hog. Here is my picture I put on Facebook before I left.

Thumbnail by JBerger

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.