Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

... and a gorgeous "broken color" pink Camelia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

yellow Clivia

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

These pretty red Cyclamen plants were used extensively in the indoor displays...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We paid attention to foliage as well as to blooms... especially Holly, who is planning & plotting about how to fill a new greenhouse...

We'd never before seen a variegated Star Jasmine... thought it was a hoya until we saw the label!

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Lovely pictures, Jill - thanks so much for sharing! I can absolutely understand your taking 555 or more photos if you'd never been to Longwood before! I've only been twice, and I still saw lots of things I have missed when viewing the pictures you and Ric have shared. It's an amazing place, and you MUST go back when it gets warmer, and you can stroll the grounds. Little Bit would love riding around in a stroller with you! Barb

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Begonia venosa had furry leaves bigger than my outstretched hand

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, we'll definitely be going there with Little Bit, again & again! I'm glad I didn't take her along Sunday, though, as that cold was just bitter.

You can see how we were all bundled and braced against that wind, the kind that just snatches the breath right out of your throat.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's another nifty vine, Fatshedera 'Angyo Star'.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

and back to a Christmas display... loved the color of this Red Ossier Dogwood.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, that's at least 3 dozen photos... I'm taking a break!

But... I'll be back!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, I have a thread started over in the Succulent forum. If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you post a few of your succulent pics on it?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067334/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Critter, I'm loving all your pics. Hopefully I'll be in the mood to go this Sunday.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

:-)

Holly, I'll head there when I've got more photos... think I got a couple good ones in the desert room.

Jen, hope you're having a restful night.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

You can also add some pictures to the "Go Gardening" section of DG, It could use a few Holiday shots.
Here is the link http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/874/

Go to the bottom where it says Add Photo.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've never been over there Ladyg. I'll check it out later. Going for a massage today, it was a B-day present that I finally got around to using.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly, thank you for sharing your slideshow of Longwood Gardens..I have been there at least 3 times and at different times of the year, different seasons and always come away flabagasted at such beauty and elegance. Wouldn't it be an honor to work in such a beautiful enviornment? I wonder when they change the flowers for the next season, if their employees are allowed to buy or if they give their employees the plants, or allow them to take cuttings from them? I wonder how much longer the Christmas displays will be up? They'll probably be getting ready for the Spring showing now. I can't remember if they sell some of the plants to visitors in their gift shoppe or not. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the Dupont money to buy all the flowers you wanted and to have the expert gardener plant and take care of them for you? Hey, it doesn't hurt to dream and boy, I dream big, don't I? I can remember as a child my dear Mother talking about the Duponts and how much money they gave away, etc.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Pippi, The Christmas show will be over this weekend, thru Jan 10th. The next show is the Orchid Show. That will be starting Jan.23rd through Mar 31st.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

bet that is fantastic!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Did somebody say "orchids?"

I downloaded a bunch of orchid photos, haven't gone through to edit or crop them, but I'll post some here anyway. Becky, these are especially for you!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

yellow...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

different...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

purty!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

corsage type...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

very yellow!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

like a lady-slipper

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

there was a whole room with orchid-covered walls...

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

The orchid room is so incredible and the scent is heavenly and you can get right up to take those closeups. No matter how many times one visits Longwood Gardens, it's always thrilling. Another destination I love is Winterthur's gardens and l'orangerie anytime of the year. It's been a long time since I've been there. Maybe next spring or fall.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh don't forget the Orchid Wreath! This isn't the best pic but it really was pretty. Most of the wreath is Philo with the Orchid on the one side. Yes it was a living wreath.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

great shots!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Just beautiful!! Pippi, Longwood's website lists their complete calender of events. Winterthur's gardens are completely different. It's a totally naturalized setting.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't suppose there's any way Longwood's spring bulb display and Winterthur's azaleas would overlap... maybe?

We're drumming up interest and ideas for a possible gettaway weekend to Longwood, Winterthur, maybe also Mt. Cuba. Check out this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1068140/

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Probably tulips and azaleas. I'm sure they have some early blooming Azaleas at winterthur. Isn't the famous early white one named after Winterthur? Or is it Longwood?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.