CHICKSS Sulking Queue part 2

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

ROTFL...sports bars....oh that just cracked me up for some reason...

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

All those metrosexuals brushed and pleated and sipping their boutique brewery beers and flavored vodka/tequila drinks would just revert to their infancy if that no-nonsense visage appeared on the big screen.

Gosh, that makes me smile...

Lodi, United States

Maybe I should sign a release and ZZ/Cody should put a message like :

"Don't Do It" or "Don't Even Think of It" on the right side of the picture and make posters to sell on-line?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Are you familiar with the Disapproving Rabbits blog? It is required daily reading for me. There is always a photo every day of a new rabbit with a caption and some form of disapproval. It's actually quite clever sometimes. Their mascot is Cinnamon, and Cinnamon does the disapproval every Sunday.

Here is one of my favourites: http://www.disapprovingrabbits.com/2009/12/lola-and-josef.html
http://www.disapprovingrabbits.com/2009/12/ollie.html

http://www.disapprovingrabbits.com/

I think you need to establish a Disapproving Chickens blog, and she would be the mascot.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Catsy... my vote is for "Eat your veggies!"

Now to check out those buns...

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Wren! I got it yesterday! It's soooo pretty, and soft and warm! It was 8* here at 7:00 this morning. BRRRRR!!!!!!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

"And then they said they'd give the chickens their own disapproving blog! Can you believe it?!"

"That's appalling... we are MUCH better at disapproving stoopid hoomans."

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Lodi, United States

The outrage is obvious, Jayryunen! What can we do to mollify them?

Stupid human tricks?

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Just saw a few flakes of snow! 15* now

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Amuse themselves at our expense (don't tell my SO I posted these!)

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Upward facing dog pose... with a nylabone chaser.

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

ROTFL Classic! Yoga with Dogs! Or Doga with Yogs. Either way, perfect pictures! Love it!!!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Poor SO was just trying to stretch after a long day at work, and the doggolettos just HAD to get involved....

Clarkson, KY

Love, love love the support group!! Too funny...

Lodi, United States

I would be getting a puppy next week if my DH took a picture of me like that and posted it.....(see other thread):0)

This message was edited Jan 8, 2010 6:30 PM

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Canst thou inveigle him into doing so, Catsy?

I felt that way after our Great Dane died; DH was having no more dogs and I HAD to have one. He finally relented but said he would have nothing to do with the new puppy. We all know how long that lasted. But a labradoodle pup with curly locks, long floppy ears, and ridiculously extravagant eyelashes would melt the hardest heart!

Lodi, United States

Well to be fair, he does care for all five dogs when I have to travel...and the chickens and the rabbit and the cat....none of which he would have without me.

So he does have the right to weigh his Boston Terrier (20 lbs and inconsistently housebroken) against my four dogs (315 lbs of pure continence)....

And I have the right to consider my options....:0)

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Uh, did you say FIVE dogs? I read that right, did I? Uh, maybe I can see his point....

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I am limited by the SO to these two clowns... the stripey one makes up for the other missing dozen. River the Rum Hound is the one who started the doggie yoga when SO leaned over to stretch in the first pic, River picked up her bone and just laid under the bridge to chew, contentedly continent. Then I got the camera (SO yelling to hurry, she can't stand this way all night) and when the woofer saw the camera, she started hamming it up, rolling over on her back and pushing up on SO's belly with the feets.

So you just know the older dog--Dragon-- had to do it better and did a mahvelous demo of upward facing dog while SO hollered "Get her out of the way!" Dragon is most civil, most polite, and obviously much, much better at yoga than SO or River.

I am clearly very little help in these situations.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Doe glad you like it.

Also glad the other boxes arrived.

Thanks for the laughs bad day. To much PT

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

I need to get a puppy....and will in the near future. I lost my Australian Shepard, mastiff mix, Odin, last year and was waiting to get over the loss a little more before I got a new dog. But our other dog, pitbull, bulldog mix, Wendy-o, seems so lonely with only 3 cats and Chickens for company.....she needs another companion. I'm thinking a Cane Corso, or Cane Corso cross. Anyone have any experience with that breed?

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Odin

Thumbnail by batflower

I just read up on them, sounds interesting but they are a Mastiff breed which means a very short life. Most of the mastiff breeds rarely live more than 6 years. And as I have a friend who owned and breed a number of Bull Mastiffs I understand the heart break of losing one after such a short time.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Wendy-o and my kids

This message was edited Jan 8, 2010 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by batflower

Looks like there may be a good bit of Catahoula Leopard Dog in her.

Correction in him.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Its the Australian Shepard, love the spotted dogs ;-)

Edited to add, he weighed a little over 150 pounds, but he was a big teddy bear. which is why I'm thinking Mastiffs are good, even though they are a little shorter lived

This message was edited Jan 8, 2010 9:30 PM

I have meet a few of the Catahoula Leopard Dog nice dogs, intelligent, but head strong-used to herd wild cattle and hogs. Well not so much herd as lead from what I was told.. They would make the wild livestock made then run into the pen and jump out the other side once the animals where inside. LOL

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

you know, Odin was a rescue. I found him after he jumped out a 3ird story window in Montreal. I tracked down the owners and they wouldn't take him back. They told me he was mastiff Australian Shepard cross... but after doing a bit of research, he certainly fit the Catahoula Leopard dog behavior :-)

Looks a lot like one. Did you go to the AKC web site. They are in the Foundation Stock Service there is one that looks a lot like him except it is lighter. http://www.akc.org/breeds/catahoula_leopard_dog/photos.cfm

If his former owners get him from a rescue, the rescue must have taken a wild guess.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

How about a Rottie-X? They're nice big goomy dogs... just like most of the bully breeds. I've certainly met my share over 100# and there's plenty need rescuing.

I think a Rott-Lab cross would just be about the lovin'est critter around...

Lodi, United States

I love mastiff breeds.

Not all are short lived. Anatolian Shepherds and Akbash have a normal lifespan of 10 to 13 years, about the same as a German Shepherd. It is said to be because they are a "primitive" or "natural" breed selected purely on the basis of surviving in the harsh environment of Turkey. My Akbash is 33+ inches at the shoulder--but unlike an English or Bull Mastiff, Akbash are not particularly prone bloat, bone cancer or hip dysplasia.

But I really want a Bull Mastiff....

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I wanted to say thank you for the ideas on cook books. I was sure I'd said something but with everything going on here i missed it & only caught the food allergy stuffs. I havent had a chance to look up much of it bc of dealing with the weather here but I wanted to tell you thank you for your help.

I love Bull Mastiffs. I use to house sit for one. Knew him from the time he was 8 months old till he died at 11 yrs. He was an amazing dog. I wasn't his owner, but i was the first he'd protect.. even from his owner who was a boy that was about 3 yrs younger than me. The boy was holding me down tickling me & suddenly the dog didn't care who his owner was.. He was going to protect me no matter what. I had a near 150 lb dog standing over me growling at his owner. scared the crap out of me but that dog was my best friend from that point on. Some day I will own one, or a mix of one. They might be huge & they might eat you out of house & home but they are amazing dogs. they have a lab/bull mastiff mix now. he's a sweet dog.. but not the same.

a Rott/Lab mix would be interesting for sure. The boy across the street has a Boxer/bull Mastiff mix... he's adorable & super sweet.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

I'm hoping our new Zipper, German Shepard cross with Golden Retriever is a match for my healer. Protective but Gentle..

Grey that was a good age for a Bullie. My friend has kept a couple to that age. But you must have the right bloodlines and do everything right.

Cat please resource breeders very careful as there are a lot of bad ones out there. That is why my friend has not gotten another one. She stopped breeding because she always wanted to keep them all, plus there is a lot of problems with birthing of the puppies, she lost 2 litters as the females had to have c-sections and the puppies did not survive. Then when she get a littler half the litter did not survive (very large litter) and she kept 4 of the 5 survivors.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I never would have guessed Anatolians and Akbash were considered mastiff breeds!
Are Pyrs and Saints also mastiffs?

Yes. so are the Newfi and the Bernese Mt Dog, there are another of the "mastiff" breeds.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Now that I've read up on the Anatolian and the Akbash, I think I'd prefer the Akbash. The last thing I need is a dog bred to roam... LOL

I was looking at the Shiba Inu until I read that they can clear a 7 foot fence. I had to raise our 3 foot fence to 4 feet to keep the brat in-that was not fun. LOL

Lodi, United States

Well, Akbash and Anatolian behaviour is pretty much the same--they roam in the sense that they are never going to heel and stay with you off leash--but they are so tightly bound to their "herd' that they are not really interested in leaving it permanently. They have also been bred to have low energy levels so they will lie around with the herd and not upset it by running around unnecessarily. If it weren't for the loud booming bark and guarding behaviour they would be great in an apartment.

Actually their prey drive is so low that they will not even chase the wolf or coyote across the country--just away from what they consider the perimeter of their herd. Their guarding behaviour is consider an intensification of "maternal" behaviour--intense and ferocious protection of their charges. If they attack, you cannot call them off. Very different from German Shepherds.

But they are incredibly intelligent...not terribly interested in obeying commands, but amazingly able to work things out for themselves. You can watch them consider their options, chose one and execute it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.