CHICKSS Sulking Queue part 2

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Come on in and enjoy the fun

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061787/#top

Thumbnail by wren107
Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

its way too early in the morning for this wren... do u not sleep?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Kyttyn, I can't think of a good organic cookbook for you that doesn't use any sweeteners, artificial or otherwise. Maybe someone else has some ideas? Why are you trying to avoid sweets - health or philosophy or both?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread Wren. That link provided by Catsy gave me a nightmare about alligators in a pool at someone's house I was caring for. I don't know what the connection was, but I'm quite sure it's her fault.

And I assert that the hat is nothing, NOTHING, to do with that horrific show of depravity.

G_G - what about the Moosewood cookbooks, do you suppose they would be a good option?

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

not sweet so much as artificial stuff, plain old sugar is fine. Mom's blood sugar does better on real stuff. She can eat sugar, she can eat sweets. its the artificial stuff that sends her blood sugar thru the roof. She's getting a bit tired of my soup recipes. (they come out of my head really) i was just looking for something different. Main meals. Sweets don't have to be in the book at all as I have quite a few she never tires of. She isn't fond of exotic food.. weird food.. anything that's not normal sounding combination's. I buy mostly at the Farmers Market till it closes in Oct. each year.. Its brought her blood sugar down to where she nearly is off insulin. I just need some more ideas. She's getting tired of soup.. (once a day) and i am avoiding high carb veggies... (tho i'm trying to give her at least one potato or carrot every other day bc she gets bored with low carb veggies. I refuse to eat greens.. so that really limits us on what we have for options. Need more ways to cook things. The low carb books always add sweetner into the recipes to make them "low carb" instead of just using natural stuff... same goes for the diabetic books. idk.. maybe its just a dream.. maybe one doesn't exist. I am going to google for websites too. I just happened to be standing in BAM yesterday looking at 2 isles of cook books & realized they had nothing I could use out of hundreds of books. I'm avoiding wheat too bc I think she's developed an allergy to wheat. (diabetics sometimes do this)

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I had nightmares of teletubbies chasing me...

I like the hat.. I think its cute. It does not in any way remind me of that awful cartoon.

Clarkson, KY

Kyttyn -do you have a good used book store around? The 1940~1960s cookbooks are fabbyluss for stuff like that. I had an American Woman's Cookbook that was to die for...disappeared right after a certain someone's visit. Also have an encyclopedia cookbook. Listing what kind of starches/ sugars you are willing to use might help. You can then google for recipes using those items. That butternut squah recipe I did a while back would be good...and you could substitute out the bread crumbs for another grain or leave them out.

I guess my thought is that you'll do better sooner by searching by ingredients rather than looking for a cookbook. Unless you get an old one. >>Stuffed veggie recipes. Casserole recipes. Simple roasts. Meat pie once a week...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Do you grow herbs, grey? Stevia is a natural sweetner that you might try. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

I am SO glad I didn't read about the teletubbies til daylight! Even so I'm wondering if they are under the bed right now :O

Loreen, according to my hero Noah Webster: "people at large must control the language". I'm guessing that you are at large? Thencely 'fancily' is indeed a word. Noah made up 'squnk' and 'squash' and many profoundly important words and of course changed spelling at whim. 'Tongue' to 'tung' is one of his classics.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 7:54 AM

Moosewood might be good, but isn't that vegetarian? It sounds like Kyttyn already has enough other restrictions she has to follow that she wouldn't need a gratuitous one thrown into the mix!

I love French country cooking; it's usually very natural and uses a variety of ingredients. Patricia Wells' Bistro Cooking or Vegetable Harvest are good.

I grew up with the Settlement Cookbook; it was developed eons ago by people who were teaching immigrant European Jews how to take care of their kitchens and serve nutritious meals. It's very basic and a bit less fussy than Joy of Cooking, which is another excellent book, by the way.

I don't think I have any books that call for artificial sweeteners.

What about crockpot cookery? There are some great cookbooks for slow cookers, and they're easy to use. I have a good crockpot recipe for a sort of Mexican chicken with black beans that even my granddaughter likes.

Clarkson, KY

The recipe forum has some great threads and great links on that. I've found that the older cookbooks have fewer substitutions of weird unnatural things and are much easier to use because of that.

There's also Recipezaar. I love that site. You type in an ingredient and it finds recipes including same. Should you have a surfeit of collards or some lamb neck looking for a home, it comes to your aid.

Lodi, United States

Eh Oh, Everyone!

Cabbagetown Cookbook has wonderful recipes--excellent ratatouille, omelets and quiches, nothing artificial at all---although it is vegetarian.

If you read the Amazon reviews they gives you an idea--I use it more than Moosewood, although I love Mollie Katzen's recipes too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cabbagetown-Cafe-Cookbook-Julie-Jordan/dp/0895941929

Clarkson, KY

Love that one!!

Clarkson, KY

oof..cross-posted...didn't know a thing about Catsy's find...

Lodi, United States

It is sort of an old Hippie one--very natural foody, mother earthy...with wonderful desserts.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Hummm Catscan has a Hippie book??? how did I figure?? I love the description of it, natural foody, mother earthy...I should look into that.

Lodi, United States

Err...Umph....of course "I" was not a Hippie....no indeed....though I did KNOW some hippies....years later....all burned out....at Berkeley....very sad....:0).

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I was a Hoppie.

Clarkson, KY

I believe you both...having done both myself...;p

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I think if you started to rummage through "the earth is ending and how to survive" you will find a ton of really good natural recipies.. thats where I found my favs.

I ended up on those type of websites while looking into buying bulk foods.. lol, but I sure learned a lot.. scared me a little.. but still took what I learned to heart and got some good advice and great recipies out of it.

Lodi, United States

It is interesting how so many of the "old" recipe's that are full of "bad" foods like eggs and cheese, flour and meat, are increasingly being recognized as "healthy" when made from free-range animal products or organically grown plants....

I am not a confirmed "food anything", and eat a ton of interestingly processed foods--but it does make one think,,,

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 1:16 PM

Clarkson, KY

It's frightening...

eggs containing the best cholesterol inhibitors?
higher HDL readings balances out the LDL, ratio being the key...
butter better than margarine and disappearing from the shelves...

I started losing weight when I cut out weirdly processed stuff. Felt way better too...

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

My migraines have all but diminished since cutting out as much processed foods as possible. Had all the tests like giving up chocolate, red meat, caffiene, other known migraine-causing foods for a month at a time and I still had headaches. A couple of years ago my former doctor put me on The South Beach Diet for weigh loss and my headaches all but went away. What I figured out was we weren't eating foods like Hamburger Helper, noodles with sauce mix, processed foods like that. We haven't gone back to eating those and I'm only getting 1 or 2 migraines a year instead 12-15 or more. Wish I'd known sooner.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

GIVING UP CHOCOLATE ?!?!?!?!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I know, it was a killer. No chocolate for a month!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

What is a hoppie?

I've been called a yuppie but I think I'm a dink. (double income no kids)

Clarkson, KY

That's exactly it, Loreen!! Doesn't even have to be low-carb...just low processed!!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi y'all just back from the vet with the brat.

Sleep what is that?? Another bad night plus I am a early bird/

Here is a recipe site that has a lot of all kinds of stuff. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and-cooking/index.html

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

A DINK! I love it! I guess my DH & I are DINKs too....lol.

Lodi, United States

Dahlinut is a Hoppie, silly Moxon.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well, I want to be a Hoppie too. Or maybe a Floppie. Or even a Moppie.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

you know.. thinking back on it.. my migraines all but went away after I started Atkins. I designed a modified version of it for myself after reading the books several times. (i hate lettuce) and felt better than I have in years. We still eat mostly that same diet year round. I'm more strict on my half than on mom's bc she's diabetic. but her health does so much better this way. and yes.. i cook with bacon grease.. and butter.. and o my.. we do occasionally use salt. I use mostly herbs but somethings just need a bit of salt to get the flat taste out of it.

i also did the month off of certain things to figure out what were causing my migraines. They finally told me it was stress.. which.. i do get stress migraines but I've had 1 bad one in a year.. vs 3 a week the yr before.. this yr was higher stress than last yr.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happily Optimistic Poofy Person Indubitablifikly Everso

Richmond, TX

Moxon a Yuppie? Not!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

OHHH that is Cool I want to be a HOPPIE, I got the Poofy down...

Catscan I get the feeling you are in the mother earthy, relaxed laid back life which I guess I have defined as a hippie, they were always happy, knew how to be self supportive and most of all just have fun...

CMoxon and Loreen DINKS... toooo funny...
SIOD would be me, Single income one DORK... LOL (term of endearment for my Billy)

Richmond, TX

Am I supposed to know what a Hoppie is? Maybe I want to be one too.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Porkpal....see Dahlianut's post...

Richmond, TX

Oh, me too! I want to be what d-nut is, - except I may have a little trouble with the poofy part.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

you guys are sooo hard to fallow.....one good thing about Christmas holidays ending Monday is that maybe I'll be able to keep up......in the mean time, I guess its something for me to sulk about.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ooo gooder batflower sneaking in a connectified sulk!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.