It's Seed Ordering Time...what have YOU purchased?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ok come on...fess up...what have you ordered so far?

Thumbnail by araness
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I ordered already, just planted over the weekend. Every year I wait to order and its just to late to get them started for that year. A vicious cycle I have myself in. Anyway. These are all for EB's. Most Ive tried. Im trying to be able to extend my season a bit into the hotter weather.

Aunt Gerdies Gold
Florida Pink
Arkansas Traveler
Virginia Sweets
Black Cherry
Better Boy
Giant Belgium ( I dont remember ordering this...rings no bells. Trying it anyway, it might be a 'sign')
I hope my other seeds get here soon...got to get them in the sponges. I mainly lit a fire under myself for the pepper seeds, which seem to take a lifetime, helped me get a start on the tomatoes at the same time.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I am not buying any seeds this year (no, I'm not, really!)... I have sooooo many tha the selection process becomes a stress factor that I don't need. Between what I've traded and bought in the past and been given by generous DGers, I am all set.

I had determines that I would use up some of the older seeds, but then Flip sent me sound yummy-sounding ones, so, I am "flipping" them to the top of the list!

That being said, what is a plumberry? It looks yum, and I'm wondering if it is something that can be grown in the north. Right about now, everything sounds too tropical. Yesterday was a balmy 12 degrees with the winds from hell!

If I don't "speak" with you before then, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I have only bought seeds from Diane's Flower Seeds so far. She has a great selection of the ones I like most.

Amazon Chocolate
Brandywine Sudduth's
Chianti Rose

I am planning to buy BHN 589 from TGS. It is the BEST TASTING hybrid I have found.

I need Pink Potato Top from Sand Hill, but it has been unavailable for the last two years.
I have saved seeds, but last summer PPT was not as large or as tasty. Do I dare use seeds I saved from them?

I DO NOT believe that Sequee will not order anything!!!!! I've heard fairytales before.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol Linda I'm not buying it either!

This is what I have or have ordered for this year...I'll have to check with IO1 to see if she ordered something from TGS that I wanna try and sweet talk her out of.

I have:
Schwarze Sarah
Robson Angolan
Russian Black
Abraham Lincoln (reg)
Purple Calabash
Blue Fruit
Nyagous
Box Car Willie
Wisconsin 55
Cherokee Purple
Southern Nights
Royal Hillbilly
Black Zebra
Rowdy Red
Arkansas Traveler
Paul Robeson
Wes
Black From Tula
Mule Team
Sioux
Momotaro
Giant Belgium
Black Cherry
Aker's West Virgina
Chapman
Chocolate Stripes
Black Ethiopian
Mortgage Lifter
Black
Black Krim
Eva Purple Ball
Neves Azorean Red

I've ordered:

Bella Rosa (TGS)
JD's Special C-Tex (Casey's Heirloom Seeds)
Sandy's Chocolate Cherry (Casey's)
Cuor Di Bue Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Black Oxheart Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Delicious Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Illini Star Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Marglobe Supreme Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Moneymaker Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Pantano Romanesco Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Black Giant Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Gypsy Tomato (Baker's Creek)
Vorlon Tomato (Baker's Creek)

Some of the above ordered are IO1's picks but *G* I'll snatch a few seeds while she's not looking.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I decided against heirlooms again - I just keep thinking of how hard it was to get a good crop of tomatoes when I was a child - so I've gone with hybrids:

Viva Italia Hybrid - they produce hundreds of fruit per plant!
Tomato Early Girl Hybrid - maybe I'll get some of these around the beginning of July.
Tomato Burpee Bunch Hybrid - these are to share with neighbors and co-workers.

I know some of you don't like Burpee's seeds, but of all the companies I've tried over the years, theirs always do well for me.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I truly don't have better or worse luck with heirlooms. I grow heirlooms and hybrids side by side and they both die at the same rate. But I do grow in EB's so maybe that makes a difference.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Just ordered about 20 varieties (mostly heirloom) for our Master Gardener plant sale.
We'll start them in the greenhouse in March for our May plant sale.
Stupice
Tommy Toe
German Pink
Black Krim
Mortage Lifter
Clarks Early Jewel
Hartsmans Gooseberry
Branywine
Soldacki
Kellogs Breakfast
Illni Star
Caspian Pink
Chadwick Cherry
Goldsmans Italian American
Beefsteak
Prundens Purple
Arkansas Traveler
German Johnson
Sweet Chesla

This message was edited Dec 30, 2009 5:53 PM

Tonto Basin, AZ

SOOO many varieties, sooo little time

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I'm not buying any tomato seeds either. The last time I did was 1997. LOL

Most of you know me pretty well so I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments from your lists.

Garden, that's Aunt Gertie's Gold, not Gerdie, and a variety I just love.

Linda, I can see growing one of the BHN's for some disease tolerances, well I can't really, but the best tasting hybrid? Whoa! Have you tried Ramapo F1 or any of the three Harris bred ones which were three of the ealiest hybrids they bred;

Moreton Hybrid
Supersonic F1
Jet Star F1 ( my favoite)

I participate at several sites such as this one and those who have grown the BHN's are not at all enthusiastic about the taste of any of them. But as we all know taste is personal and subjective.

Sandy, the proper name for Schwarze Sarah is Sarah Black which was bred by Joe Bratka and what he named it and thus not an heirloom variety. Schwarze is German for Black and someone somewhere changed the name to Schwarze , probably some site in Europe did so, unfortunately

The proper name for Black Oxheart is Brad's Black Heart as bred by Brad Gates of Wild Boar Farms. What happened is that there's one somewhat infamous SSE member who changes/alters variety names and if you could peer over my shoulder as I'm reading the SSE Yearbook you'd see that this person listed it as Black Oxheart even though he got the seeds from Brad. The Baker Creek folks got it out of the Yearbook with that listing although it's properly listed as Brad's Black Heart as well. I've grown it and I think it's darn good.

Paul, that's Chalk's Early Jewel, not Clark's.

The only reason I'm making these comments is so that if any of you trade seeds wrong variety names aren't passed on. ( smile)

I haven't the faintest idea what I'll be growing this summer and I'm way behind on getting my own seeds organized for my annual seed offer and I've been spending lots of time working with Adam Gleckler's new listings and he sure does have lots of hard to get varieties that you can't get elsewhere and will have many more next year.

I almost forgot. For the person listing Vorlon, someone said Baker Creek is out of seeds and so is Jeff Casey out of Vorlon. Maybe your order got in before they were out.

With two bad summers of late I'm not too sure how I'm looking forward to this next one. Last summer due to awful weather, cold and wet, half of my plants never even formed fruits. Triple Sigh. However a good friend who lives elsewhere in NYS where the weather was better does most of my seed production for me b'c I send her the seeds, and she sent me a box of fruits for the ones I got none for so I could do my blurbs for my SSE listings. I had the plants so knew plant habit, leaf from and all that.

Carolyn, who accidentally sat down on her one cat kid, but not all the way down and was terribly upset about it. But she lives, she breathes and is back doing everything in fine shape, which is driving me nuts b;c most days I think she's smarter than I am, but not about tomatoes, which she doesn't eat although she's been known to upset plates of drying seeds. LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Carolyn, correct on all points. I knew Black Oxheart was Brad's since I had purchased several seeds from Wild Boar Farm's, think I sent you a few as well as IO1 but in the end I didn't have luck trying to start them and since I only had a few left I couldn't do overkill as I generally do...(I plant 20 or so tomato plants and start 100 seedlings) IO1 is an oxheart nut so I wanted to try them. Don't know why I never get the Sarah Black correct I know the name, I assume since that's what I've always seen on the websites is the reason the Schwarze sticks with me...heaven knows Sarah Black is easier to remember and spell!

Bakers Creek still had them listed and not sold out, I do hope I got my order in early enough because I'd really like to try them. I've sent my check off to Jeff and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that his seeds get to me in time for me to start them for this season. I love Black Cherry but the skin does tend to be a bit tough so hoping that the Sandy's Chocolate solves that for me while still maintaining the flavor that I enjoy. The JD's Special C-Tex just piqued my interest due to the color and original growing location.

I have no idea of what I'll grow for Spring and Fall but I need to narrow down the list and settle on the varieties so I can start my journal.

On a little side note...was anyone else a bit let down my this years TGS catalog? Not sure why, couldn't put my finger on it but this years just didn't woo hoo me as it's done in the past.

Saint

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Whoops. Got to spelling like we talk in the south ;-o.
Gertie indeed. Delicious, and not watery and tastless inside. Picked that up because of you kind words about it, and it was a winner last year.

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I know for sure I'm going to order Black Krim and Siberian for sure this year. They did great for me last year in pots and I'm planning on growing everything in EB's this year. Our new house is the drainage area for the entire neighbourhood and I don't want other peoples pesticides and fertilizers flowing through my veggies since I grow organic.

Yehudith

Danville, IN(Zone 5b)

Once again, I've overdone it on seeds. There are so many varieties that I want to try and I have so little space. As with last year, I'll have just one plant of each. I'm repeating only 3 varieties from last year. Since it was such a lousy year last year, I may be omitting some that would be good in a different year, but here are the new (for me) ones I've ordered:

St. Pierre
Black Trifele
Green Moldovan
Carbon
Azoychka
Bloody Butcher
Mary Robinson's German Bicolor
Sun Gold
Brandywine Red
Kellogg's Breakfast
Super Sioux
New Yorker
Martino's Roma
Brandywine (Sudduth)
Rose de Berne
Black Krim
Pruden's Purple
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Goose Creek

A lot of these were inspired by discussion here on Dave's and some were from a blog that someone referenced here on Dave's. Reading thru that blog it appeared that the author and I share similar likes and dislikes in tomatoes so I took a lot of her 'will grow again' tomatoes to try for myself. I saw someone else listed Giant Belgium. That was sent as a 'bonus' pack in my Tomato Grower's Supply order so I'm going to try to find room for one of those as well.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

I have a smallfry veggie garden so can only do a few at a time. Not buying any yet as I have a few from trades this year. Planting Green Zebra (OP), Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Mortgage Lifter (I think OP but not heirloom?), Large Red Cherry, and Better Boy. Still trying to learn tomato culture so hopefully this year will be even better than last!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

So many seeds via swaps that I am only buying one new one - Sophies Choice.

And Carolyn, just remember that cat sitting is not as traumatic as baby sitting!

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I wish I had the space to go crazy with tomatoes. I love growing and eating them. I have ordered a few so far
Green Zebra
Patio
Super Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato
Tiny Tim Tomato
Mexican Giant beef steak
GIANT Belgium Tomato
Mr. Stripey
The Behemoth King
Black Krim Russian
Red Currant
Siberia Russian
Red & Yellow Pear Tomato
Large Red Cherry

I don't know where I am going to plant them all.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Saint - see you're at it again. You've got a nice list to pick from!

I echo Carolyn's good words on Aunt Gertie's Gold - absolutely my favorite gold/yellow and one of my all time favorites along with Sudduth B'wine, Brianna and a several others.

I prefer heirlooms as their taste (for me) is far better than hybrids but they both give me the same amount of troubles.

Sequee, won't be long....

Flip

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

my limited containe space only allows me a few different types of tomatoes so this year i am gong with
german red strawberry
red penna
lady lucy
johnny's huge greek red

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Flip it's not my fault...*points to IO1* she made me order them all! I only wanted one little tomato *LOL*

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

she can vbe verrrrry persuasive sp) after all, danny went and bought her a green house.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I have:
Aunt Ruby's Green
Giant Belgium
Russian Rose
Gregori's Altai
Eva Purple Ball
Sioux
Costoluto Genovesi
Large Pink Bulgarian
Atkinson
Kellogg's Breakfast
The Dutchman

Now, tell me, HOW did I manage to not get any of my favorites? Black Krim, PRUDEN'S PURPLE, and Cherokee Purple?

duh...oh well...;-((

I'll be Winter Sowing tomato seeds Saturday, January 9, in gallon milk jugs, OUTSIDE! They're either gonna sink or swim this season, 'cause I'm not inclined to do the indoor babysitting thing. Plus, the DH's on the warpath about the electricity bill (does it matter that it only costs $.10 to run a fluorescent bulb all day???)

I read that somewheres...

I sowed seeds for Emerald Green and King of the North Bell Peppers, Wando Sweet Peas and Southern Broadleaf Mustard greens this past Saturday...We shall see!

Linda

^^_^^_^^ Doing the happy dance that one'a ya'll might have mercy on my poor soul and send me 5 Pruden's Purple seeds, oh PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

No Pruden's but I can send you 5 Cherokee Purple and Black Krim...

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

So far I've only bought 1 package of tomato seeds from Burpee's Sweet Seedless Hybrid. I would like to order some of those little tiny tomatoes. I think they're called 'grape tomatoes' and some other tomatoes of different colors. I want to experiment with different colors of tomatoes making my Spicy Tomato Jam. I've made it with red tomatoes and I have some ready to go with yellow tomatoes. I think making it out of different tomatoes will be interesting.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

My Baker's Creek order came today and I got Vorlon! *YAY*

Araness,
I'd like to accept your offer of seeds! Thanks a hunk! I'll send you a dmail.

^^_^^

Well gee ... looks like it's a good thing I finally checked in on y'all! :-)

Saint, are you and Franklin ganging up on me? LOL

Okay, I've got 8 EBs to spare for tomatoes ... that's 16 plants! I'm still planning and skeeming. LOL

These are for sure, though! I think? grin

Black Trifele
Brandywine (Landis Valley Strain)
lady lucy
Eva Purple Ball
Cherokee Purple
Black From Tula
Paul Robeson
Belize Pink Heart
Pink Oxheart
Depps Pink Firefly
Sara Black
Cuor di Bue
Buckbees New Fifty Day
Sioux
Mule Team
Super Choice
Fireworks
Beauty King
Ivory

Okay okay ... that's not counting the ones from Saint!

Someone help me!

I'm a Tomatoholic!!
~Susan

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

you've got some I didn't know about...been holding out on me have ya *taps my toe* Ok I'm packing up your box to send to you, I have the seeds, the pepper mustard and the fungus...am I forgetting anything? Ohh I'm going to try and burn those cookbooks to a CD ...

Well, I've been going through them, my dear. Just ask, and they're yours.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

In addition to seeds I've saved from last summer's tomatoes, I'm going to try these:

Rutgers
Amish Paste
Blondkopfchen
Box Car Willie
Brandywine
Chalk's Early Jewel
Cherokee Purple
Cherrygal Cherry
Eva's Purple Ball
Italian Tomato
Mortgage Lifter
Ponderosa Red
Ponderosa Pink (rec'd in trade)
Sioux
Sweet Pea
Zuckerklumpen
Black Cherry

Don't think I'll have room for any other kinds of veggies! LOL

Omaha, NE(Zone 5b)

Gymgirl, I have some Pruden's I can send you.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

marti...you have mail!

Has anyone grown out the "Buckbees New Fifty Day"? If so, what is your opinion?
Thanks ... ~Susan

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Yes I have Susan, It's really no different than the older commercial varieties Rutger's, WI55, New Yorker, etc. in being a round red, not on the sweet side and yields well.

As for taste I prefer another older commercial variety called Break O Day which I think is much better.

But if you're looking for a standard round red the Buckbee one will do just fine.

Carolyn

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Just ordered celeriac seeds and a carrot thats called Parmex. Its a nearly round carrot about 1 inch in diameter from The Cooks Garden.

Thanks Carolyn! We grew Break O Day last year, and it was a very good variety. You know me, LOL always looking for another. grin I am always hoping to stumble on an early one that's worth the space to tied me over until my bad boys come in. ^_^

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

I've ordered: Pink Berkley Tie-Dye, Sweet Carneros Pink, Beauty King,
Pink Boar, Evan's Purple Pear. Also ordered peppers from TGS:
Gypsy Hybrid, Fat 'n Sassy Hybrid, Purple Jalapeno, Trinidad Perfume,
Orange Sun Bell Pepper and Italian Sweet tomato. All are new to me.

I did Pink Berkley Tie-Dye last year and liked them. Hope they do well for you. :-)

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I thought they were too pretty to taste good, but you never know
til you try them. I haven't received them from Wild Boar Farms yet, but
hopefully soon.

Aran,
You're fast! You're good! You're fast and good! Got 'em. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.