Apropos of Nothing v.6

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061206/

This thread can't be derailed because there's no topic. HA!

I'm still sick. Very sore throat and a truly disgusting cough. Grrr. This needs to go away now.

All three of our kitties got new beds for Christmas. They were more interested in all the tissue paper and ribbons, though. hehe.

Thumbnail by the1pony

Chilly hummingbird:

Thumbnail by the1pony
Eugene, OR

I really wonder some times how those dear little things make it through the winter. I've read up on it, so I know what they do, just find it so amazing!

We got a new cat bed for our half feral cat that lives in the garage, she has one out there but a stray has been wandering in at night and using it. (We were getting down in the teens at night and I didn't have the heart to run it off, don't see it much now it's warmed up.) She has a heating pad in another spot, so she shared. We put the new bed on the front deck where she comes to wait for food. Looked out this morning and could just see part of her tail sticking out. It's a pop up kind of thing, makes a neat little cave.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Pony, I so loved the pony boots! Perfect!! The earrings were a sweet way to top off the gifts too!

We had a very nice family gathering at Mom's, that included my inlaws for the first time in the 18 years that Don and I have been together. In the past, we have always traveled to their location (currently Sun City AZ) for the holiday time that we spend with them, so it was fun to mix it up for a change. Fortunately, we celebrated on Christmas Eve, as someone hit a power pole due to icy roads by our house on Christmas Day, and we were out of power from about 4:15 PM until 4:00 AM the next morning. I am sure that there were a lot of "interesting" holiday dinner gatherings at the development across from our road with no power!

We were ready to put up the trail camera to catch Mom's racoon/bear/Sasquatch on film yesterday, but she hadn't had any issues in the last couple of days so she decided to wait. She also decided to refill her bird feeders and put out more suet. Guess what......... the trail camera is going up tonight after we pick up all of her feeders that were torn down last night. Will see if we get pictures of something cooler than our puppies!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

BTW, Pony....sounds like we are in the same "unhealthy" boat. Haven't stopped coughing for a week and a half, and sound like a strangled frog when I talk. Makes for some interesting phone conversations at work....

Oh no! I hope you get well soon. I'm still hacking, but the worst seems to be over. At least I can stay out of bed for more than 6 hours at a time now... sheesh.

I was at Group Health for my hand today and decided to get an h1n1 shot since there was no wait- but reading the 'signs and symptoms' list they had posted, I'm thinking that may have been what I had. :-/ Oh well- if it wasn't, then I guess I'm covered now...

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, we were one of those with the interesting holiday dinners. The power went out here, yep at 4:15, just as I was getting the hams ready to put in the oven. So we had some more eggnogs, waited and more eggnogs, ended up fixing them by candlelight and putting them in the BBQ, along with the scalloped potatoes, also made by candlelight.
The GK's came over while it was dark, we had their presents (scooters) hid outside. They had to read the clues with a flashlight and then search for the gifts. It turned out to be so much more fun for them with no lights, and the hams were delicious. Of course, by the time they were done, most of the rum was gone, everyone was full of snacks, and dinner was a serve yourself whatever the heck you want and sit where ever. It was great.
Rarejem and Pony, get well soon!!!

Eugene, OR

Sounds like you made the best of the situation and it turned out fun. I used to do those treasure hunt things, it was always fun, I think it would be even better by flashlight. Note to self: stock up on brandy (that's what we like in eggnog) for emergencies! LOL

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Brandy, huh? I will have to try it that way.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You guys are all killing me. I have started for over 6 weeks now not to have any more libations. So I thrill on cappichinos, Amber Odouls, Diet Pepsi, Ice water, and to party I have all the sugar free cocoas. It is good though because I was needing to have some dicipline in my life. It feels good to go through the holiday with out the wisdom of wine. LOL
Though it has caused me to go nuts on Ebay buying a trailer for a sailboat I bought in Wrangell, an EPIRB so my wife will know where to find my body when I sail the boat back to Prince Rupert next summer. I also bought charts for the trip, books on sailing dories in ocean waters, and books on amazon on how to repair wood boats if I get hit by a rock, whale, or grizzly bear. Oh yeah I also bought a Bear rifle and case........... There is no $ savings when you quit drinking. LOL
Oh yes this is a chicken I bought for my garden.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2009 12:35 AM

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

So true Sofer.

I quit for over a year.......My garden was fabulous.

Ginger

Happy Birthday, Ginger! :D

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pony!

I am at work.. Working hard as you can see :)

Already planning on new seeds and gardens while staring out at tons of snow.

Ginger

Richmond B.C., Canada

Lynn... your post about cooking with the BBQ reminded me of a few years ago when I cooked my Thanksgiving turkey in 1: my oven (power outage) 2: my BBQ 3: my friend's oven (to finish browning and cook all my side dishes at her house. Her family had been our invited guests but they managed to keep their power while we (1 1/2 miles away) lost ours for over 8 hours. I called that my three venue turkey!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Happy New Year, everybody! Wondered why y'all were so quiet but I had missed the new thread. I love the stories of making do at the holidays ... we are having so much fun (the party keeps rolling from Portland to the coast & back) ... this has truly been one of the best weeks of my life ( and only in small part because my homebuyer's stimulus check finally arrived, with interest). Jack is out in the rain chopping wood -- isn't that a cozy sound when you're inside baking?

Love to you all, and I mean that from the depths of my little black heart,
Summer

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Happy New Year Summer!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Check out Sofer's facebook page and adopt a cute kitty. They are so adorable.

Ladyfiresign, your 3 venue dinner sounds like a fun planned activity. Haven't done that in years.

Summer, you keep safe driving from Portland to the coast. Lots of crazy drivers. Have fun!

Ginger, Happy Belated BDay. Did you get any new gardening toys?

Sofer, love your new chicken.

Pony, are you feeling better yet? GET WELL Wishes are coming to you.

Rarejem, thanks for calling me yesterday. It made my day!!!!

Sally Ore, you have such a good heart to take in the feral cat and the stray and give them a heating pad to keep them warm. If DH boots me out, can I come sleep on a heating pad in your barn?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Happy New Year Lynn. We missed you.

Eugene, OR

Lynn....I have a neighbor who thinks I'm nuts. "A heating pad for a cat!" I figure if her water container, which is up off the floor, was freezing, so was she. We aren't so cold now, so the stray has gone. We think it belongs to the business down the road. It just needed a warmer spot for a while. I see it every now and again, can't get close, but it meows at me. I just say "You're welcome". And yes, if you need a heating pad, just let me know. LOL I've been known to take in strays of all kinds.

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I did Lynn! Or at least I will.. They are in the mail. I got two sets of rooters. I also got a new cell phone so I can call and buy whatever I want!

It is made from 80% reclaimed materials ...and my green phone ...is green!

Ginger

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Ginger, Good for you! Post a picture. I have never heard of a green phone. What do your rooters look like?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

All of my cats in Wrangell have the occasional person feeding them and maybe a place to sleep out of the snow, but each one of the ferrell cats produces sooooooooooo many others they literally eat each other in the winter. Lice, fleas, pneumonia, Leukemia (contagious in cats) and Aids is killing many in a slow painful death. If you have a stray visitor please get a trap from the Humane Society and catch him or her and have them neutered. This cat was caught 3 times before we were able to spay her. She produced in her 3 short years over 25 kittens. She now is being socialized and kept so that she can be cared for in the future.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Prettykitties. I have a sixteen year old cat who hates all others and a poodle who eats the cats whishers.

I would like to show you what I have been doing in my attic. Finally took some pics.
This is still the messy end. Didn't used to be able to walk up here.
Sorry now that I can see the picture, this is the new neat end.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2010 12:27 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Another angle. Ruth and I put up all these shelves and moved everything.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Look at all those books. They were all over in boxes and bags and stacks.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is the other end. Has to be cleaned out and then Ruth's XDH is going to enclose it for a craft room for me. Probably all going to the dump and recycle.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

This is the way up from the laundry room. It will have a rail around it finally.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And the boiler for our radiant heating and hot water. And the built-in vac are up here.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Will have to wait awhile for final results, the greenhouse comes first.

There are two more bookshelves behind the hanging closet thing.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Wow- that's a great attic! Ours is little more than a crawl space with a high spot in the center. We have lots of junk stored up there, but there's no way to make it like yours. I'm envious! :)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Eugene, OR

I'm envious too. All that room!! Would love to have the built in vac too!! I'm trying to do a craft room of sorts in the storeroom in the garage. It's insulated, so I can use it. But I'm not sure about leaving some things out there in winter.

Sofer, the cat that lives in the garage is spayed. Not sure about the other one, but like I said it seems to belong to someone. One of my inside girls came from the shelter and the other was brought home 4 yrs ago by our outside/inside cat we had at the time. She was skinny and terrified, but wanted love so much. Took me 3 mos to get close enough where I thought I could grab her. She was spayed the first time I got hold of her. Told the vet, we'd be in if I caught her. LOL They thought she was about 6 months old and she was pregnant. She spent three days behind my dryer before I could coax her out. Now she's attached at my hip, most loving cat I've ever had.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Lynn... Phone.. looks like this.http://www.switched.com/2009/08/06/samsungs-eco-friendly-reclaim-phone-is-made-of-corn/

Rooters will be here next week and look like this (below)

Sofer. I understand the cat issue (literally) so very well. In San Diego We had 15 feral cats fixed in one year. There is a male luring out under the horse trailer I have my eye on now.

Ginger

Thumbnail by beadmom
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

OH, pretty, where do you get those rooters.
Your cat is gorgerous. Thank youfor all you do for the feral cat world. My neighbors and I do that also. We get a lot of dumped cats out here in the woods. The neighbors feeds them all and they are eventually neutered.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sally and all of you who help. Thank you for all you do. It gets real frustrating dealing with this for the 35 years I have been involved in Vet Med. I actually get to meet and fall in love with the thousands of cats that are euthanized. It is a dark spot in my career. What we need now is to be able to shoot someone who leaves a cat unneutered. I bet if they carried aids to us they would allow that. It doesn;t matter if they do to each other.

Wow- those rooters are gorgeous! I want some!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Pony.. Check your Dmail...

Sofer. I have seven rescue cats. We just lost B'Elanna at 20yrs. She is the third cat we've had make it past 20. (We feed good food!)
All are fixed.. if someone hangs out in my yard too long and is not fixed.. I don't really care if they look like they belong to someone... They will return home fixed.

Right now there are 5 wild babies and mommy under the side barn at work... I'll get them.

Ginger

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

As an Oregonian...born in Pasadena, CA and thinking the Rose Parade/Bowl s an American ICON......I would like to respectfully rant about my Ducks representation of the marching band.

AAAAAAARGGGGGGGG.. The band showed up in the parade and at half time in SWEATS AND BASEBALL HATS...No uniforms... no shakos....What happened??? The football team got in the Rose Bowl and they said OH CRAP... WHAT IS THE BAND GOING TO WEAR? Ask the BASEBALL team if they have some hats we can borrow.. Check with the Duck Store and see how many warm-up suits they can round up...a marching band disgrace for certain.

Killin' me.

Ginger

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

As an outsider I too wondered what was going on with the size and the dress of the ducks. OSU knows how to spend for their band.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Willow, you have been so ambitious! I have always wanted an attic.
Ginger, your rooters are so pretty. Which 2 did you get?
Sally, love your cat.

You guys all have such good animal stories. I feel ashamed for not doing the good deeds that you have done. But, the ONLY stray cat we have seen around here, we fed and adopted her. Joey took her to the vet to get fixed, paid for it, and found out later from the original owner that she was already fixed. Sofer, wouldn't the vet know whether or not they removed a uterus or not? Or is the procedure different from what I thought?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes it is a common issue when spaying an unknown cat. The cost does not change because the time hunting for abnormal internal anatomy takes even longer. I always tell my clients if their cat was already spayed, but some choose not to to save the hassle. People think that the surgery should be free if they are spayed before. Some cats have a scar that we can assume a surgery of some kind but I usually don't do surgery when it is present to save them money and tell them to watch for heat periods. I just charge for the anesthesia and hospitalization. And what ever we did but surgery.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.