Seed Swap January 23rd in Mount Bethel PA

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Gardadore (Jessica) and I will be putting together a seed swap at my home. I have never had one before, but I'm sure that we will have fun in the process.

Please let me know if you are interested. We will add to this message as needed.

Hope to see you here.

Regards

Teri

UPDATE***********************

We have sent d mails to members that are fairly close to Mount Bethel to get new people interested in our Mid Atlantic Gardening Forum.

AS A RESULT, GARDADORE (JESSICA) HAS SENT ME A D MAIL WITH THIS CONTENT:

"Those who responded to the Seed Swap as far as I know as of Jan. 8, 2010 in Mt. Bethel: Seems a possible 12-13 max including us if weather holds.

RON_CONVOLVULACEAERON_CONVOLVULACEAE - Netcong, NJ If can get ride - can’t tolerate smoke.

GardenQuilts (Lori Lynn) Delaware Water Gap, PA Will pick up before Swap

mgarr - (Marietta) Wilkes Barre,PA Would love to attend but doesn't have many seeds. I wrote her that it doesn't matter!

elsie - (Elsie?) Lafayette, NJ Not sure yet but will let you know.

onewish1 (Allison) and Michele......... Allison Denville, New Jersey 07834 weather permitting

Ronni92 (Ronni) East Stroudsburg, PA Weather permitting (no seeds at the moment)

stormyla (Mary) and Larry Norristown, PA

Jan23 Salem Cnty, NJ Will try to make it.

HollyAnnS (2) Dover, PA"

I will send them another d mail asking them to attempt to post something or other in this thread.

I will d mail my address and directions and phone number to all of the above mentioned. Gathering at my home at 11am should give us enough time to trade, have lunch and chat before dark. I will provide soup, salad and lasagna and would appreciate breads, desserts or a favorite covered dish from the participants.

A small garden related gift for the prize table is also being requested.

MORE TO COME.....

Teri

Edited to remove Jan Jackson's address.......thanks to all you alert DGrs.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2010 11:32 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

watching this thread! :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I are planing to come. It will be so nice to see you again. Holly

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I will definitely be there. Thanks for hosting this.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

just found the thread.. weather permitting.. I will be there

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Just got home from a week's vacation. Will try to make it.

THE FIRST POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO INCLUDE AN UPDATE.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2010 9:40 AM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Teri, That's a nice # of folks for a swap. Should we all bring a snack or dessert?

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Geese.......location and all is great. We will be covering the grandson's wrestling on this day. Ya all have a great time.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great looks like everything is comming along nicely. Ric and I are still planing on attending. I do have seeds mostly last years. Still haven't had a chance to go through them yet. I was going to ask if you put out a notice on the Northeast Forum? I did that last spring when we had our Spring Swap. I have something for the gift table and will bring some food as well. Nothing better than talking gardening and eating. LOL Holly

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the update. Will have to think about what food to bring.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I think Holly should put Ric on the gift table.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have a good feeling Michele might be coming with me... hope that's ok?

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

The more the merrier!!! LOL
Looking forward to meeting all of you since this will be my first time attending a swap and I have heard from Teri how great they are!!
Jessica

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I am looking forward to meeting everyone. I am very grateful to Jessica for offering to pick me up. I don't have a large selection of seeds, either, but have a lot of seeds from several garden plants and a few things from swaps.

Thanks for the info Stormy... (she wrote):

"I think that baggies, envelopes, pens, markers,labels and tape and name tags will be needed."

Just to remind you all that I will be supplying salad, soup and lasagna. Any breads desserts, cookies or your own specialties would be appreciated. Soda, coffee and tea and juice will also be offered here.

I have just downloaded some templates for TINY seed holding envelopes which will be available to everyone. I'm not sure how many I will need at this point so if you want to bring some of your own for insurance, that will be fine. I do have lots of pens, pencils, name tags and tape available.

WOULD SOMEONE SUGGEST HOW THE SEED LISTING AND TRADE TRACKING SHOULD BE DONE???

Thanks,

Teri

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

anyone want coleus cuttings?.. maybe I will make some of my cupcakes to bring.. they are portable

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Teri, You could open a "List of seeds for swapping in Mt. Bethel" thread
and folks can post there. Not all swaps will be arranged in advance. Some folks will still be sorting seeds, the night before and will just bring packets to swap that day. Lot's of people are still getting their seeds in the mail.

I'm going to try to make packages up in advance as I will also be bringing LadyG's and Carolyn"s seeds to the swap and will have to pick their traded ones up too. If you start the thread, I will post my seeds today or tomorrow. I think people should post both haves and wants.

If there are any leftover unclaimed seeds, I can take those down to Critter's swap in February.

There will be folks we have never met coming to this swap, so I think that some of those people name tags that we wear would be a good idea.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2010 3:11 PM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Cuttings are fine for the swap.

I don't think we want to be dragging a lot of plants and dirt into Teri's house. If plants can be traded outside in the cars, that would be OK. People usually bring decorative items or gardening supplies that they have in excess . Also, if people want a particular item that is much cheaper when purchased in bulk, sometimes, one person will order it and split it up at the swap.

I have a heated basement area that has access from outside thru a bilco door. I wouldn't mind if anyone wanted to swap plants in this area.

I guess we could make swap arrangements either on this thread or thru d mail. Maybe we could do both so that the d mails could back up the posts on this thread if it gets too confusing.

Should we start by listing what we have on this thread or do we use our trade lists instead??

Somebody help.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I figured unrooted cuttings would be clean anyway.. just baggie them up.. I have a ton of seeds listed in my journal.. and some leftovers from last year.. if anyone sees anything they want.. just let me know.. I am up to my ears in seeds

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Terry, I think we should keep the lists on a separate thread, and the other chatting here. If we post a list, lots of people will answer via dmail, but we have to be able to update the lists as things are spoken for or people will keep dmailing for items that are already gone.

Thanks for the basement offer. I don't think there will be a lot of plant trading, but there might be some.

This is the thread that we will be using to list our haves and wants.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1068081/

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Terry!

Allison, If you want any leaves from my begonias, go back to my begonia thread and pick which ones. That also goes for anyoneelse who might want some. Not all of them are doing so well right now, but quite a few will be fine. Marmaduke is looking especially fine.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Quote from stormyla :
I don't think there will be a lot of plant trading, but there might be some.

ROFL, you don't know the grief I got when I tried to explain we couldn't trade plants at the Frederick seed swap... a couple of people were very upset that they would have to do any plant trading in the parking lot where plants could get too cold... they didn't seem to see why it would be a problem to have a plant swap inside the restaurant, bringing everything past the buffet serving area to the room we were using.

(In case anybody is wondering, for the Frederick swap, a plant or two on the gift table is fine, but otherwise I'm asking people to limit themselves to bagged cuttings.)

Any time you get MAG people together, they share plants around! :-)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks Stormy.. I will go check it out

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I've been spending all day breaking my seed packs down into smaller batches. Runaway seeds are all dropping onto one paper plate. When I'm done, I'm going to make up a few envelopes of this mix. If anyone has been thinking about starting a cutting garden, these would be just the thing to do it with.

A reminder to post your haves and wants here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1068081/

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

My seed list is posted!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm still trying to decide if I'll be there.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I'm working on it, depending on the weather. I figure I can drive by my old house in Wind Gap.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

We'd love to have you, Jan. Venu wrote and said she may be coming too. She's waiting upon knowing her availability.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy, Someone had told me to use Styrofoam plates to separate seeds. The seeds stick to the plates due to the static electricity. I haven't tried it yet myself.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, that's what I was using and yes, they did seem to stick to the plate.

Don't forget that it will be ok to swap plants here also, if any of you would like to do this.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010 3:01 PM

Do people manage to get their begonias growing inside all year? under lights?

Do you grow your coleus as houseplants as well as garden plants?

I grew tuberous begonias for the first time this year. I brought them in and put them in a window. They did alright, but started getting pale and dropping their leaves. I figured they needed more sun or more warmth, so I let them go dormant. I checked the begonia forum and that seemed to be what other people did. I would love to have more color inside this time of year.

luvsgrtdanes, how big does the tecoma get for you? Do you bring it in for winter or treat it like an annual? It resembles the "tulip tree" in Puerto Rico, wonder if they are related or the same plant.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

GardenQuilts, they are new seeds for me I haven't grown it yet. From what I read it is hardy to about 0 degrees which it seems I haven't seen since I was a kid. It may be hardy for us against a warm wall.

luvsgrtdanes, hope you post pictures this summer. I'll be interested to see how it does in the north, although your weather is probably milder than mine. I suppose it could be kept in a pot and moved indoors if kept small. I have hibiscus and gardenia in pots now. The gardenia is green. The hibiscus dropped all of its leaves but has new buds starting. This is my first winter for the hibiscus, second for the gardenia. Both were given to me.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

GardenQuilts, My begonias are mostly the house plant type, which I bring in for the winter. I did bring some of the standard ones sold by the flat indoors. They are doing just fine. I haven't grown the tuberous ones in several years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.