Think Spring! Seed Swap Party Feb 27

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

How does one go about swapping packaged seeds? Does everybody make up a list of seeds they have to swap and then their own"Wish list?" Know this sounds like a stupid question but this is all new to me. How does one display the seeds they have to swap? Hoping the weather will allow a good attendance. Will you be sending directions to restaurant ? Is this restaurant very close to an exit off I-70 or I-270? Not familiar with Frederick.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry, I know I'm behind on posting additional details (snow days have been distracting around here!). Last year's thread will give you some ideas: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939638/ (this year will be similar, although I don't know if we'll get a discount at DPF, and Chef Lin's prices have gone up a little.)

Rather than bringing a big bag of seeds to split up on the spot, it's easier if you package them ahead of time into smaller packets. Please label the packs -- try to include plant name (using the botanical name also makes it really easy to look up more details in PlantFiles), your DG name, and year purchased/collected. If you've done some swapping online ahead of time (that's what the lists people have posted on the seed swapping thread are about) and earmarked seeds for particular people, put their names on the packets to make it easier to distribute them.

As for "displaying" seeds to swap, I'm not sure anybody has done much beyond organizing them into some sort of container so they can be easily looked through. We don't generally worry too much about 1 for 1 trading -- if you want to be sure of getting a special seed in return for your special seed, you can do that in the seed swapping thread -- everybody brings what they have to share, and everybody goes home with a good selection of seeds.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*bumping up* because I finally updated the top post... sorry about the delay in doing that... it's been a little crazy here lately!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--
I am not on your list!....:o(
I am definitely coming--riding up with sally-as usual.

Thanks, Gita

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yesm Critter, Please add Orchid too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have to go through the lists and add quite a few people, I think... sorry, didn't get further than the update above when I got called away.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL, yep, hadn't updated that list since Christmas Eve! If I missed somebody, PLMK. Directions have been added to the first post, but I'll be Dmailing everybody my cell phone number in case anything comes up.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm back- finally! I would love to come to the swap. My husband is a "maybe."

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Excellent!

Speaking of spouses... please let me know how many people might be coming with you so I can get an approximate head count.

Don't forget to check out the seed swapping threads... I just posted a long list (50+ packets), and nobody has asked for anything yet! Links to discussion & lists threads for seed swapping are in the second post on this thread.

Also, if people could post even general "wants" on their Have/Want lists, that would probably help people know what to concentrate on as they sort through their seed stashes... for example, maybe you're looking for butterfly attracting plants, maybe your garden is mostly shade, maybe you love anything that's purple...

^_^

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yay, Kub!!!
No DH with me--D G(ita) is my date and maybe Catbird, unless she's gotten buried in snow.

I want anything that plants, waters and weeds itself...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL Sally... I can bring you a rock... just toss it out there...

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That was a good one, Critter!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Kubileya, You have been missed, glad you are back.
Critter it will be Ric and I. We may have to duck out a bit early 3:00-3:30 as we just realized we have to be at a banquet for 5:00. By the end of the evening you will have to roll me into bed. LOL

Quote from critterologist :
LOL Sally... I can bring you a rock... just toss it out there...

Come to think of it, that does meet my criteria! . Oh, I did just dmail you with three wants.
Remember that I took a rock from Holly and Ric's place last spring? ha ha --I placed it between three baby hollies to remind me which special rock it is! After getting it here I realize I have some rocks that are pretty similar. An acq told me that our ' ironstone', once its exposed for some years, will weather and locals then call it 'fieldstone'.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL

Lots of ^_^ here today... don't want to get this thread off track, but thought I'd post a happy day link... scroll down to the bottom of this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074596/

Holly, sorry you won't be able to stay longer... I'm sure you'll manage to hit DPF beforehand... it'll work out fine, but I know you're just going to collapse at the end of the evening!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Kubileya, glad to see you back. We missed you!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

If we head home about 3:15 we will be right on time for the Banquet.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you're late, you'll miss the obligatory speeches...

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Betty and I are sorry we will not be with you folks. We are still very much active chasing our grandson wrestler about the state's various levels of finals wrestling. He is now seeded number two in the district #4. That would project him to perhaps the top twenty five or so in the state of Pennsylvania as a Freshman 103 lb. wrestler. We must go where he needs to be for family support. A freshman rarely ever gets this far his first year in high school.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's fabulous. We'll miss you, though... I admit I figured the late Feb date would probably get you beyond the regular wrestling season, but that didn't account for how good he's become!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Congratulations to your grandson Doc!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

WOW Doc, You have a state champion in the making. How fun and exciting. Holly

Dittos the missing you both and the congrats--thats exciting! From my personal standpoint I can only think--woo college scholarship, how nice.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We have a DG er in the Brookeville area (Grossmutti) who would like to come to the swap but needs a ride. I'm hoping somebody coming up from that direction might be able to pick her up... if so, please let her know! Thanks.

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

Critterologist: I was looking forward to the seed swap .I have to decline I am leaving for the Carolinas next Thursday I am so sorry that I am going to miss it but this trip was planned for the past two months and was delayed because of the snow and since I am not the one who is driving it is a bit out of my hands. I am starting to sort my seeds this week end and will be sending what I have in a box all labeled in little bags They can be shared with all. What people are not interested in I can pick up later when I make my way to Frederick sometimes when I get back.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Aw, nuts! This crazy weather has messed up a lot of schedules. I"m sorry you won't make it, but I know you'll have a great trip!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi all, I don't think Bob will be coming but he is looking for a portable generator and a lady in Frederick has one for sale, soooooooo.................maybe. Critter, could you please repost the directions to Chef Lins and the DPF? I'm riding with Holly, unless I can talk Bob into coming. Judy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Judy, the directions and all other info are at the top of this thread.

:-)

Marshall, VA(Zone 7b)

Critter,
My husband and I will be there! We're looking forward to meeting everyone!
JFleming

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hooray! I just got Dmail from another DGer who said she'd be posting here soon about attending with her DH.

It looks like our party is coming together nicely!

I'm so excited!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Great, Jfleming!! Looking forward to meeting you!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll be coming too. I'm going thru my seed lists now, and will post on the Have/Wants thread later tonight or tomorrow. Jill, I don't need no stinkin directions - I see it, I see it, oops there it goes. Oops, there is goes again... Think I can do better than when we went to lunch last time? Hee, hee, hee...

Whee, I've been twice with Swap and then took my kids there once. I can find it!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Terri, you're bad... but alas, not as bad as my sense of direction.

No worries folks, the directions at the top of the thread came from my DH, who can indeed tell his left from his right.

Oddly, when I m driving I often tell someone Right when I mean left and vice versa--so I point!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally I do the same and hubby gets so made at me. But then we never get along when it comes to my directions, I always know where I'm going.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Sounds familiar!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Directions to my house, Go down the the road where the old barn burned 10 years ago.

LOLHolly!
"Turn right (meaning left) where my best friend used to live when I was eight years old..."

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

You all sound like you've seen this sign in your areas.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.