Coffee Break #27 - Return of the light

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

We're home!!! Happy New Year everyone!

WOW! Lots of stuff going on around here. Won't start mentioning things, cuz I know I'd forget something. Nice to be home. Really enjoyed visiting our youngest in the Houston area. Wish it would have been a little warmer. Now I need to research plants for his area. They said it might be easier to fly us down there than to hire a landscaper. Wonder if they were serious. LOL

VERY windy here.

South Hamilton, MA

Children should not play with guns.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Welcome back, Jan! Happy New Year!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks. Trying to get back into the swing of things.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome home Jan ^_^

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

HI Jan! Welcome Back!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Happy New Year, everyone! Been away from this thread for several days. I didn't do anything special for NYE. Didn't want to go out celebrate, just felt like staying home and relaxing. I watched the first 3 episodes of season 3 of Dexter. Didn't even stay up till midnight. Oh, well. I've had many other years that I did. Then on Jan. 1st I rearranged the furniture in my bedroom and started going through all the junk I have in here. Big project. I'm still going through all my junk.

Polly, I think a pressing issue for heart problems is if a person's parents died young from it, like in their 40s or 50s. In their 80s it's kinda expected, I guess. Of course, without the heart problems, people can conceivably live into 90s or 100s. My Dad is 80 and has atrial fibrillation. But, hey, he can outwalk me, and I'm only 47 (but then I'm too overweight, also, and that is a big detriment to my health and ability to how much walking I can do). Like Cousin Nut said, I hope I'm like your aunt, throwing rocks at 90. If I die of a heart attack then at least I went doing something productive.

I had a gym teacher in high school who would go jogging every day. Then he died choking on a peanut. Go figure!

Interesting about what it was like back in the 50s. Hey, personally I wouldn't mind being a catering housewife if my husband was the only breadwinner and I didn't have to work. I don't think I'd be going quite as far as they did back then (like taking off his shoes and such), but having a meal ready for him after he's worked all day would be nice. I would love being a housewife. Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned. I would like not having to work. I'd take a volunteer job instead. I would certainly never be bored. I'm the kind of person who can always find something productive to do, though there are days when I just want to do nothing at all. Not many, though.

Wonderful New Year card, Victor! Thanks!

We take our tree down late. Maybe we'll get it done after Dad and I get back from Florida, which will be the weekend of the 16th, unless my lil' sis decides to take it down while we're gone (here's hoping she will!).

Welcome back, Jen, and Happy New Year to you!

Nice powder room remodel, JoAnn!

Welcome home, Jan! Glad you had a good trip. Just one more week before Dad and I head to Florida. Supposed to be low 70s there when we arrive.

Sorry for the novel...... :o)

Karen

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Tree came down yesterday as well as all the decorations, inside and out. Put the boxes up in the attic today. DD has school tomorrow and I have to go back to work. Yuck!

South Hamilton, MA

Tree still up. Too lazy to take it down. Switched late game on TV away from the Packers. I am sulking.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Outside decorations not down...way to windy and cold!

I'll be starting on all the rest of the decorations tomorrow.

Took my kids to church today and since it was the Epiphany, I told them that the wise men brought coal, Frankenstein and Murray.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You're bad

Looks like I was wrong about the Jets. They'll probably lose to them next week though.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I HAVE IT!!!
The answer to Airport security
Have a body scanner that detonates bombs on passengers who have them.

As long as it won't kill anyone else - I'm for it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

just an idea

Flying these days must be hell, thanks to Mr. Hot Pants.

South Hamilton, MA

Instead of exploding have them turn into red dye.

Or blood?

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Great idea, JoAnn! They could have the body scanner self-contained so that if there is a bomb on the person, when it explodes it won't affect anyone but the person it's on. Ha!

Karen

A slow burn would be nicer.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Our airport wait wasn't long at all, of course, had no idea how bad it was going to be so got there real early and ended up waiting for our flight 3 1/2 hours(could think of a lot better things to do with my time). Hubby didn't even get body checked like he normally does, guess they are no longer concerned with skin heads. He was with a few firemen in their uniforms flying to OH to check on the progress of the fire truck that was being built for their engine company, he got called out even then.

In June when I flew to CO they opened my carry on but not these flights.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Like your idea JoAnn, would save a lot of time and money. Glad I don't have to fly very often.

Congrats Victor on the bloom of the day! Love the bright colors and soft edges.

Thanks, Pat!

Just finished packing up all the inside decorations. My back is killing me! Not enough time to get in the hot tub before the kids get home.

That's a lot of fun, Jen. I was there once during that time.

One of my fave songs playing right now - Have You Seen Her by the Chi-Lites.

Update on my DNA study. A third test was inconclusive! I was annoyed and emailed them. They said I have a 'unique sequence that has made it very challenging for the lab to determine my Haplogroup, or branch of deep ancestry on the genetic tree for all humans.'

Hmm - alien???

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Looks like fun Jen, lucky you. Take lots of pics!

Moldy oldies Victor, love them too. Throw in some rock and we're good.

I love the 70's station on XM, Pat. Great decade of music.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Yep imho '65 to '75 was the best ten years of music. Been going downhill ever since with a few exceptions like The Boss and Dave Mathews and a few others.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

The only difference between Christmas Day and NY Day at airport security was that Jeff was patted down on NY Day. I must say on both days we went through security pretty quickly, but I suppose there was less traveling on those days.
I also really liked having our boarding passes in hand when we arrived at the airport and went through a short line to check our bag. We even got a 'snack' - and not just peanuts or pretzels. Cheeseburger and a salad on the outgoing flight and a chicken enchilada and salad on the incoming flight. It was Continental airlines.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Jen, that sounds like fun.

Love the 'oldies'

South Hamilton, MA

More fun than the rides, Jen. You can teach us all topiary when you return.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nasty head cold here - still did take down all the ornaments and tree and got all the boxes into the attic. Still need to move furniture around which i'll do tomorrow.

victor that tree bag worked pretty well - still had some water in the stand so i had to carry tree and stand out to the back deck and down to the driveway before i could get the stand off. only ended up with needles by the sliding door to the deck and those that fell off taking everything off it - much cleaner removal than in the past.

Glad it worked for you, Bill. I like it. I still have my boxes out and need to get the outside stuff.

If it's early enough - try gargling with 50% peroxide asap.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Elka seltzer is being delivered by my better half - not enough tissues here

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Havent flown in a while, with all the hassle think I'd take the train instead.

Love the chi-lites and manhattens and tempres and all that 70's music. I was a disco queen.

Victor, I still havent sent in my DNA test. Are they going to give you a refund? Or make a new category for you :-)

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Feel better wha. Have you ever tried Airborne? It works.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.